Great British Locomotives

EddieB

The plastic GBL use for their mouldings is atrocious - it can't be recycled as such, as its a homogenous colour, but it must be the cheapest, nastiest styrene they can get hold of! It was a hateful task cutting through the J39 running plate (and remove the internal boiler stiffeners) to insert a Hornby Jinty chassis....

(It lurches around beautifully now!)

the plastic does have its own special aroma when attacked by a dremel cutting wheel...can't be harmful anyway being produced in an ex soviet bloc industry......allegedly ...

And there was me thinking of buying a dremel cutting wheel. You have put me off.Then again living 5 miles from a place full of nuclear weapons I'm pretty much f#&$ed as it is.

just to clarify the hazard is the plastic fumes....the dremel...has i believe a better provenance....in respect of your location....I remember the nuclear attack advice during the Cold War....in the event of an attack try and stay away from windows...ideally sit under the strongest part of your house...ie a stairwell...put your head between your legs.....and kiss your..........goodbye.....happy days
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The A1 / A2 issue is now posted on the GBL Website. Not sure from the small image which Class the model shown represents, but it's in Late crest BR green, double chimney and the name plate has a red background. It looks quite reasonable to me, but perhaps someone might enlarge the image and glean more accurate info.

The  Black and White photo of 60532 Blue Peter on the magazine cover is impressive.

Edit for typo dropouts

Edited by Brit70053
  • Like 4

The A1 / A2 issue is now posted on the GBL Website. Not sure from the small image which Class the model shown represents, but it's in Late crest BR green, double chimney and the name plate has a red background. It looks quite reasonable to me, but perhaps someone might enlarge the image and glean more accurate info.

The  Black and White photo of 60532 Blue Peter on the magazine cover is impressive.

Edit for typo dropouts

looks to me to be the trix A2...corridor tender....boiler skirt....

Just compared to a photo of trix a2 even more sure....big motion link running from cylinder to middle driver....cartazzi truck separate ...had wanted this for the boiler.the skirt though makes it more trouble than it's worth...already battled with the Nelson replacement...no if using a model to produce an a2/2 will bite the financial bullet and purchase a Bachmann one...

• RMweb Premium

Accidentally managed to zoom the image and can see the aspects pointed out in the posts above. I've never had the chance to examine a Trix A2 closely, so wouldn't have really known what to look for in terms of deficiencies.

One thing I think I'm correct in saying is that they had a tender drive mechanism, reputedly powerful enough to pull the proverbial wall down, so why a skirt under the boiler?

And do my eyes deceive me, or have GBL moulded in a 'wire' between the loco cab and tender, or just what else could the thin diagonal piece I've noticed on the image represent?

Accidentally managed to zoom the image and can see the aspects pointed out in the posts above. I've never had the chance to examine a Trix A2 closely, so wouldn't have really known what to look for in terms of deficiencies.

One thing I think I'm correct in saying is that they had a tender drive mechanism, reputedly powerful enough to pull the proverbial wall down, so why a skirt under the boiler?

And do my eyes deceive me, or have GBL moulded in a 'wire' between the loco cab and tender, or just what else could the thin diagonal piece I've noticed on the image represent?

im pretty sure they had the motor in the body....gather from looking it up was?..is pretty powerful...as previously mentioned the body was available separately some years ago...long before Bachmann ...so was a reasonable way of producing one...of course with the superlative offerings of today....well it looks its vintage...late sixties if i recall. I have been examining the trix model in photos the cab...footplate seem well defined...my GBL v2 having been spared parting company with its boiler may now be called on to donate....we shall see...must finish other models...must finis

WHSmith at Warminster had three Nelsons in stock on Thursday afternoon.

Slow progress with the Western.  Having bodged the non-powered bogie using the GBL parts, couldn't resist a quick test run.

post-14681-0-74419800-1437174478_thumb.jpg

http://vid478.photobucket.com/albums/rr144/pugwash09/Railways/July15-1%20069_zpsojc3dofb.mp4

That's when the problems started, as one of the axle bearings on the motor bogie decided to part company with the endplate.  Swapped it for the other one, and gave it a quick test with the body on. 

http://vid478.photobucket.com/albums/rr144/pugwash09/Railways/July15-1%20070_zpshcoxezah.mp4

Still need to add the brakegear to the power bogie, and adjust the ride height.

I'll add the video clips when I've worked out how to upload them, DOH!

Edited by Theo C. Cupier

Guest spet0114

That A2 also appears to be towing a corridor tender? Were any A2s ever equipped with one?

Don't think so. Subject to correction, the corridor tenders stayed with the A4s 'till the end.

I guess it was too much to hope for an A1. Not sure if whats on offer is worth the work to improve it, been trying to do that to one of the Trix spare bodies for years. It can be done but it's not top of my list to finish. I'll show you a pic later.

Only the 47 left to go, that surely will be the old Hornby nail then.

Cheers

Shane

• RMweb Premium

[Response to Post #5538 as reply quoting post isn't working)

I've seen pictures of the Trix A2 on the internet now, and its obvious there's a pretty beefy motor projecting into the cab, but there are equally obvious wires connecting Loco and tender, (Tender pick ups ?)

If I'm seeing the model image correctly, it looks as though GBL have possibly replicated the wires in plastic and if so the snippers will be applied as a minimum improvement.

• Like 1

omis

Only the 47 left to go, that surely will be the old Hornby nail then.

Cheers

Shane

That's what I'm afraid of too. I was going to get one, but I might as well go for an original. They don't go for much more and come already fitted with a motor or, better still, a Lima example. I can use the funds saved by not purchasing the Pacific...

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

In reply to tenders my book of a1 and a2 pacifics by Peter Coster shows all the a2 class entering service with 8w non corridor tenders....whether individuals were partnered with other types after overhaul, can't say

Don't think so. Subject to correction, the corridor tenders stayed with the A4s 'till the end.

In reply to tenders my book of a1 and a2 pacifics by Peter Coster shows all the a2 class entering service with 8w non corridor tenders....whether individuals were partnered with other types after overhaul, can't say

That's what I thought, it seems a curious thing to do to the model. Still, I probably won't get one, I can't afford many at the moment and I want the Ivatt, where's my Bachmann tender class 2 gone?…

Peppercorn Pacifics never had corridor tenders.

Guest spet0114

That's what I thought, it seems a curious thing to do to the model. Still, I probably won't get one, I can't afford many at the moment and I want the Ivatt, where's my Bachmann tender class 2 gone?…

The Trix A2 had a corridor tender solely because the tender Trix used was identical (or only slightly different) from that used for their existing A3 and A4 models. The GBL model appears to have perpetuated this error.

In passing, the corridor tender was also incorrect for one (at least) of the A4 models - Mallard, which didn't have a corridor tender in LNER days.

• Like 2

Guest spet0114

Is the trix a2 really that bad? I have a crownline a1 conversion kit and a Hornby tornado chassis that Iwas hoping to use

No, not too bad in the grand scheme of things, and in its heyday one of the best. Thing is, that heyday was 40 years ago and we now have the very nice Bachmann A2 now available alongside which it looks crude.

The A1 is a bit longer than the A2, so you might find yourself doing a bit of cut-and-shut.