Big jim's (now dismantled) 12 x 6 shed layout

big jim

• RMweb Gold

thanks

been thinking about how far ive got with it now and ive been wondering whether to make the removable section a permanent fixed feature meaning i would have to duck under to get in the shed, it would make the whole layout so much easier to track lay with less joints, less wiring, less chance of damage to the track ends etc but the down side being the actual crawl in to the shed, i'm not getting any younger and if i kept the layout going for a long time would it be an inconvenience in years to come?

• RMweb Gold

thanks

been thinking about how far ive got with it now and ive been wondering whether to make the removable section a permanent fixed feature meaning i would have to duck under to get in the shed, it would make the whole layout so much easier to track lay with less joints, less wiring, less chance of damage to the track ends etc but the down side being the actual crawl in to the shed, i'm not getting any younger and if i kept the layout going for a long time would it be an inconvenience in years to come?

'Ducking under' gets a darned lot harder as you get older Jim - I have the tee shirt.

Nice to see the layout taking shape again Jim after all the destruction. Been there, done that and got the T shirt. I'm sure you'll be a lot happier with it this time. Graham's suggestion with the base board seems like a good idea.

We've the speed you've been progressing the last few days it looks as if you have had some well earned rest from work.

Cheers

Marcus

• RMweb Gold

ive got a bit of mojo back, really want tot see trains running again, ive got some etches on the way to do the NMT so want to see that running on the layout very soon, thats my motivation to get it done, that and 37025 

work wise, no chance of a rest, ballast jobs at the start of the week, class 73s tomorrow and a trip to blaenau on friday

• Like 1

Jim, looking good pleased to see you are taking your time to get all the track correct it will be worth it in the end.

Smooth running of trains is what you are after as it will give you more enjoyment than running issues

couple of hours earlier

wired up the hidden sidings and road into the yard, strung them together into this chocolate block which will eventually be connected to the mainline tracks for power

F3A621F1-BB7B-4AB9-A777-645F4537E64C.jpg

A7346CEA-FEDE-4216-8D64-29D917411B3B.jpg

i got power to the tracks as it stands by simply running some wires across the tracks and hey presto powered up first time with no issues

C7DA8A56-2445-4C33-98B0-09B1ACB4F74A.jpg

quite amazingly despite the other side of the layout looking like this there wasnt anything metal on the live tracks shorting anything out so i could do some testing without having to clear that lot!

407443FD-AF4C-417C-B3B6-61383EA98483.jpg

the mainline tracks were live from the top of the exisiting incline right round to the points for the goods loop and platform on the opposite line, 70801 doing the honors for testing

FF596F3C-AF35-4061-A111-E3E3873FCB49.jpg

the only issue i have had is the WAG express if moving into the hidden sidings from the yard it shorts out the layout when the DVT crosses the double insulated block joint (the yard is controlled by a reverse loop module), the dvt currently does not have a dcc chip fitted so im hoping that when it does it wont short out any more, the train runs fine without the DVT on so at least i know thats the problem

the final job was cutting a bit more away behind the bridge to make it squarer, it also means i can get a better looking cosmetic wall in below the high level board

B6E20C59-0ABD-44B6-BEB1-8804ADD89F43.jpg

Great Work Jim

Don't forget to put some foam along the wall so you don't run the stock in to the wall.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

another sneaky couple of hours, didnt go any futher with the removable section but had a look at the shed area first

corked the area first, stopped short of the actual shed as i will want that to look like concrete when i do it, alos got peco pits to fit to the area

DF8433EF-1CEE-4E6F-A748-24A7DD355624.jpg

then i got a bit carried away, picked up a cheap double slip from ebay last week which i though i'd incorporate into the shed, i did it by adding another set of points to the mainline so locos can come on shed direct from the mainline, bypassing the arrivals roads, certainly a complicated array of trackwork on there now!

07C2AB96-C09C-4215-A333-E13EC72D61BD.jpg

also added a couple of short points to the arrival/departure roads so locos can go either side of the fuel point

B8D83949-3D3B-4220-8DFF-FF4063B89BE8.jpg

the fuel point is just the right size for a 66 sized loco to park between the 2 arrival roads, here is the 70 trying it for size too!
F917E3EC-CDCF-4A62-AA15-BD27C3D5337E.jpg

couple of 37s in the shed, should get 4 locos in that section if they handout of the shed itself

D6F7C526-9D05-45B3-B4DA-29526D889651.jpg

purely by chance the arrival road will also hold a pair of 20s!

E8311F9C-2386-4336-A0FF-29C62810B719.jpg

crossing over the bypass points

F525A8AE-0BE7-411E-AA1D-5EB484466979.jpg

fit nicely between the pointwork to change ends and head back out the departure road

F0EBAFD6-423B-4DC1-854D-3FB83220102B.jpg

then i had a think about he station, Heljan Tackley kit, fits nicely next to the shed, ramp down the end into the depot, will obviusly add fencing etc when i get round to detailing it up

C29650E3-8517-4586-B180-71B45B9622D9.jpg

view from the door again, im really impressed with how its looking now

D422BAD4-8918-4390-A833-54CFF8307001.jpg

hopefully i've got the insulating fishplates in the right place that i dont get any shorts, i've actually run out of them so will have to get more tomorrow to finish the shed and station tracks off, well technically i havent run out i just can't find any, ive dropped half a dozen of them both on the floor and layout but with them being transparent i cant find them!

• Like 15

What an inspirational thread this is! I've just finished reading it from start to end - which has admittedly taken me several days.

Keep up the good work, Jim. It is looking great.

Several days?

I've read the whole lot in 2 sittings - one yesterday and one today!

Jim, just been reading most of this, then skipped a few pages and the layout has completely changed?? Really enjoying getting a feel for the thought process and all your building. Its all good stuff. One question though - the incline against the wall back right of the shed - is there a reason why the double track splits going around the corner? (Assuming it still does?) Cheers and keep up the good work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Little bit more done, secured the double slip and points to the shed then Cut a couple of grooves in the board

1B1DEB01-FAFD-438A-9DD4-D5366A08FAAD.jpg

For a pair of peco inspection pits

A74D99DF-B4FF-42A2-BCB2-184F34842AE5.jpg

They are loose at the minute as I want to make a hard standing around the shed but that's a long way down the line

Then it was adding cork to the now non removable removable section

E99DC23B-37D1-4B08-B389-4C3786C1A7DB.jpg

Cut the track back on the original incline

F57ADC02-6B1F-49C5-BF83-3DE9357727DD.jpg

And removed it so the new track will start further back

CFEBF58C-CEF2-40DB-926F-494A77E5C859.jpg

Also removed the goods line and ballast around it

4626B877-0919-4928-8FCC-FC835D36CFD7.jpg

Next up was refitting the track but had to go back in the house so this is as far as I've got, loosely fitting the outer mainline and goods line

A1054159-5307-4C5D-BEBB-AE6806856F81.jpg

I will be adding a small wall to the outer edge of the doorway board in case of any runaways or derailments on the inclines so they don't take a tumble onto the patio

• Like 10