Level crossing stupidity...

That's the trouble with 'legal speak'* though,

it's used to confuse the 'man in the street' so

they can get away with saying anything and

be able to twist it to suit themselves.

(* read gobble-de-g o o k)

Edited by jcm@gwr

We don't know how many people were involved in this incident. We know only the words in the report.

Well, that's true...

If you wanted to be really pedantic, he may have been causing some kind of an obstruction on the railway completely unrelated to the instance of a car on the track....but I think it's unlikely. ;)

• RMweb Premium

We don't know how many people were involved in this incident. We know only the words in the report.

Indeed. I'm concious of the problems with pure speculation but I can imagine a few scenarios, such as someone pushing the car there "for a laugh". Please bear in mind I'm not saying that there's any reason to think that's what's happened and I'm not trying to suggest that it is, I'm purely using it as an imagined example. The wording may be somewhat open simply because various scenarios involving various different people can't be ruled out yet even though there's no reason to suspect them either.

Every few posts this seems to happen.

I too took the arrested man to be the driver. I'm sure I'm not the only one?

If I'm wrong, I'll sleep at night.

Petty, petty, petty.

• RMweb Gold

Well, that's true...

If you wanted to be really pedantic, he may have been causing some kind of an obstruction on the railway completely unrelated to the instance of a car on the track....but I think it's unlikely. ;)

Could be arrested for joint enterprise. May not have been the driver though.

Griff

• RMweb Gold

The latest stupidity: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/must_see/33647679

Driver comments (at the end) "Didn't you see me?" waving a red hanky next to the car.

Is this driver so stupid that he expects a train to stop within a few meters?

To be fair he did say "I know I'm sorry" so his "Did you see me?" was probably a desparate cry rather than blaming the engineer. Glad no-one was hurt.

• RMweb Gold

it worked for Jenny Agutter.

How many carry a red hanky around with them?

The last time I took my pants off when a train approached resulted in a police warning.

• Like 1

Just saw the Indiana incident. Amazingly  the vehicle didn’t sustain as much damage as expected (presumably sliding sideways on its frame), the engineer was sanguine and unhurt, thank God. Could have been much worse - and the anti-climber worked.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Premium

The latest stupidity: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/must_see/33647679

Driver comments (at the end) "Didn't you see me?" waving a red hanky next to the car.

Is this driver so stupid that he expects a train to stop within a few meters?

An absolutely priceless bit of dialog there!  :PMSL: :laugh:

"Didn't you see me?"

It would take 200 yards to exhaust all the air from the brake pipe just to apply the brakes!!

Then there's the small insignificant matter of 10'000 tons to take into consideration. :no:

There really is one born every minute.

Atleast he did apologise to the engineer though.

Edited by Gary H
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

it worked for Jenny Agutter.

How many carry a red hanky around with them?

It clearly showed the difference in warning effectiveness between a red flannel petticoat and a red hankerchief  (as well as the difference 10,000 tons of train makes - in fact it seemed to stop in quite a short distance).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It clearly showed the difference in warning effectiveness between a red flannel petticoat and a red hankerchief  (as well as the difference 10,000 tons of train makes - in fact it seemed to stop in quite a short distance).

Perhaps if it had been a younger Ms Agutter waving the red hanky the engineer might have acted even sooner!!!!

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just saw the Indiana incident. Amazingly  the vehicle didn’t sustain as much damage as expected (presumably sliding sideways on its frame), the engineer was sanguine and unhurt, thank God. Could have been much worse - and the anti-climber worked.

Best, Pete.

I was surprised it remained intact, stretch limousines are notorious for splitting in two. I follow a recovery group on Facebook and there usually one or two a month that end up banana shaped when on suspended tow.

Perhaps if it had been a younger Ms Agutter waving the red hanky the engineer might have acted even sooner!!!!

Jamie

Was she wearing a red petticoat? Oh sorry I was thinking of her next film (Walkabout). :maninlove: :crazy:

Edited by PhilJ W

The old style gates seem a lot safer as these cover the whole road, unless you smash through them that is.

With the new type of barriers driver race to get under them to get across, with the gates they block the road off.

Darren

The old style gates seem a lot safer as these cover the whole road, unless you smash through them that is.

With the new type of barriers driver race to get under them to get across, with the gates they block the road off.

Darren

Perhaps we should start thinking about using hydraulic bollards that rise out of the road? There's no racing those...

Darren

Yes, but they can potentially trap vehicles in the crossing, so now you need someone/something monitoring the crossing and signals far enough out so that a train can stop. This then means that you have to start the crossing sequence a lot sooner, delaying the road traffic even more.

Automatic half-barrier - train strike-in at about 27 seconds out.

Full gates - signal needs to be about 1.5 miles out. At 45 mph that means that the crossing has to be closed and clear ~2 minutes before the train arrives, so the sequence is more like 2:20. This also assumes that you don't have multiple crossings in that 1.5 miles, which would complicate the signalling further.

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle
  • Like 1