Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Premium

Stupidity on another level yesterday on the Airdrie to Bathgate line, 334016 hit a 4x4 that the Police believe to have been stolen and deliberately driven onto the tracks at Uphall.  The moron who did this should be charged with attempted murder.  Thankfully the unit only suffered superficial damage and one passenger was slightly injured.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-34530924

Jim

There's a much easier offence to prove under Victorian legislation that carries life imprisonment about obstructing a railway line where life is endangered.  I'm not sure if it applies in Scotland.  It was used many years ago when two disgruntled gents left a bag of spikes on the track of the Ratty because the train times didn't suit them.  They were somewhat surprised when they both drew terms of imprisonment at Carlisle Crown Court.  2 years and 18 months IIRC.

Jamie

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Agreed,

there are a couple of offenses still on the statute books, e.g.:

Interfering with railway with intent to endanger persons traveling (Offences against the person act 1861)

Put/throw stone/wood/thing on railway W/I to obstruct (Malicious Damage Act 1861)

Take up/Remove/Display rail/sleeper/thing W/I to obstruct railway (Malicious Damage Act 1861)

Unlawfully and maliciously did an act with intent to obstruct, upset, overthrow, injure or destroy an engine, tender, carriage or truck using the railway.(Malicious Damage Act 1861)

Interestingly both

Blocking railway with intent to obstruct, endangering life (Malicious Damage Act 1861)

and

Damaging railway with intent to obstruct, endangering life (Malicious Damage Act 1861)

have been recently removed from the statute books.

one of the reasons is to stop 'screen burn'

i remember the signaller at gresty lane telling me that they had their monitors for willaston crossing (cctv) replaced with 2nd hand equipment, only for it to show clear as day the outline of the previous crossing which had the monitors on all the time

i think they stay on for a short while, gresty did while i was in there and certainly derby box can see spondon for a time after the barriers are dropped as i had a signal put back on me after someone smashed through the barriers as i aproached at 75mph and the signaller saw it happen after the protecting signal was pulled off by him so he put it back to danger

certainly a heart in your mouth moment to pass a red at 75mph and see the barriers all over the track in front of you, luckily i stopped before the crossing

Wouldn't it be more sensible for the monitors to be off most of the time, and only on when there is a train in the vicinity? i.e. coming on when the approaching train is a few blocks away and going off once the train has cleared the crossing and the barriers are up?

Unlawfully and maliciously did an act with intent to obstruct, upset, overthrow, injure or destroy an engine, tender, carriage or truck using the railway.(Malicious Damage Act 1861)

"I didn't do it!"

"What didn't you do?"

Blocking railway with intent to obstruct, endangering life (Malicious Damage Act 1861)

"A foul, a foul - a plapable foul..."

• 2 weeks later...
Level crossings were built with the Victorian railway more than 100 years ago when there were fewer and slower trains.

i don't think that really applies to Matlock Bath though, I rather think there used to be more and faster trains, and that level crossing is not original either.

Rgds

• RMweb Gold

i don't think that really applies to Matlock Bath though, I rather think there used to be more and faster trains, and that level crossing is not original either.

Rgds

Agree - as far as I can recall there was never a footpath crossing (which is what that is - not 'a level crossing') at Matlock Bath and a quick search on the 'net does indeed show that it had a footbridge (and a barrow crossing of course).  The station was once on a fairly busy double track mainline and while foot crossing were far from unknown at such stations footbridges were the usual situation.

Presumably the present foot crossing stems from the time of reopening?

This made for a fun 10 minutes and phone call to network rail's emergency line! AHBs won't clear if the barrier hasn't fully dropped apparently.

post-9147-0-06488500-1446214476_thumb.jpg

Hopefully they catch up with the Lorry driver, the train that passed was on the line away from him, too busy on the phone with NR to catch his number plate and as soon as someone helped him back out from under the barrier and the crossing cleared he was off.

The rules apply every where including Matlock Bath.

I think the main problem is that the country the people in the video originated from has no enforcement or rules on railway safety compared to people from the UK so they think they can do the same here and frankly that's not on and if they will trespass at Matlock they will do it at any station and if caught they should be prosecuted like everyone else they are not a special case, there are several rail drivers on RM Web of both Passenger and Freight & I would not like to think how they would feel if someone passed away just over taking a "Selfie" as the real thing won't stop on a penny like a model will.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

heres a good one.....

this lot want a crossing where a young girl died kept open, so lets pose on the crossing for the pics, in the fog to boot, if you can see the twitter ones the photographer is clearly trespassing to get the pics as well

the justification was the line was shut that day for engineering work, so no engineers trains then that if in picop land could be travelling upto 40mph

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/whitstable/news/keep-death-crossing-open-say-45693/

https://twitter.com/kent_online/status/661123895009873920

a bit of an own goal for the campaigners i think

Tell that to the girls who were killed at Canterbury a few months back who walked along the railway after they missed the last train. It didn't miss them, it was running a bit late.

Been following this on BBC news site and some of the feed back has been pathetic to say the least plus a group photo of them all standing right across the foot crossing  ,very intelligent I don't think The latest casualty was wearing earphones so never hear the train approaching.All of these crossings should be closed as they are a potential accident waiting to happen ,when I went to the E/W presentation a crossing in south Aylesbury is due to close people are annoyed but its going to be  100mph line and foot crossings are a no no.

• RMweb Premium

The trouble is there are still foot crossings on 125mph lines but they are slowly being closed.

People want too much it seems, in this country of growing waistlines they don't want to walk further than they have to on the excuse that they are too overweight to be able to walk anywhere. If they walked they'd lose weight and be able to enjoy walking further. And it would benefit their wallets too.

• RMweb Premium

The trouble is there are still foot crossings on 125mph lines but they are slowly being closed.

People want too much it seems, in this country of growing waistlines they don't want to walk further than they have to on the excuse that they are too overweight to be able to walk anywhere. If they walked they'd lose weight and be able to enjoy walking further. And it would benefit their wallets too.

Which would be fine and good if they exercised two braincells when it came to foot crossings on railways (although the idea of crossing a 100+mph railway on foot is rather scarier than something I'd want to do without a bridge). Some of these people would get themselves hurt crossing a 4mm scale track.

I'm surprised that so many are getting shut, I was under the impression that it's legally rather difficult to close rights of way without providing an alternative, which is why minor footpaths often seem to get motorway bridges. I'm assuming that there isn't a perfectly reasonable alternative like "walk 50 yards further to that bridge."

• RMweb Premium

This made for a fun 10 minutes and phone call to network rail's emergency line! AHBs won't clear if the barrier hasn't fully dropped apparently.

attachicon.gifPhoto0077(2).jpg

Hopefully they catch up with the Lorry driver, the train that passed was on the line away from him, too busy on the phone with NR to catch his number plate and as soon as someone helped him back out from under the barrier and the crossing cleared he was off.

Erm - what "won't clear".

ANBs are NOT INTERLOCKED WITH THE SIGNALLING! I  In a situation such as this the first thing anyone will know about it (unless someone uses the emergency telephones of course) is 2 minutes after the sequence started when the signalman should get his 'barriers failed alarm (upon receipt of which he / she should replace the normally automatic signals on the approach to the crossing to red). Far too late to do anything about the train that triggered the sequence* because that will either be long gone or will have hit what is on the crossing.

* From a train setting off the sequence to it being on the crossing is approximately 30 seconds

Also ringing the NR helpline on your mobile is not a good response to issues at level crossings. The first reaction should be to use the direct dial telephones (painted yellow usually) to the signal box, starting your call with the words "This is an Emergency call". This gives the best chance of a speedy and appropriate response without the need for the operator to establish where you are and where the supervising signal box is located.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 3