Great seeing this at Canterbury today. Whichever one of the team is the teacher outside of the layout operating, thank you for being great talking with our toddler and the excitement of all the different trains!

You're welcome! Glad that everyone enjoyed the layout!

Is the Dutch 31 144 re-engineered with Hornby super detail motor and bogies?

It belongs to Mark Stevens (not of this parish), hence my answering instead of Mark.

It's a Hornby Railroad version which (I think) he picked up on EBay...not sure if that helps?

• RMweb Premium

Is Loftus Road appearing at any other exhibitions this year?

Thanks

We were pondering this question at the weekend, none of us could quite remember, but the answer is no!

Looking forward in our diaries we have potential bookings for Taunton in 2019, and potentially a BRM show (we had to cancel the Peterborough show this year after a date change to its new pre-Xmas slot) - on the cards for 2020 now is Basingstoke and Corsham, Wiltshire, and then a future Wigan (when I complete the booking form, admin’s not my strong point!) - we may well get more in soon as we had a few more tentative invites in at the weekend!

Cheers,

James

• 4 weeks later...

We were pondering this question at the weekend, none of us could quite remember, but the answer is no!

Looking forward in our diaries we have potential bookings for Taunton in 2019, and potentially a BRM show (we had to cancel the Peterborough show this year after a date change to its new pre-Xmas slot) - on the cards for 2020 now is Basingstoke and Corsham, Wiltshire, and then a future Wigan (when I complete the booking form, admin’s not my strong point!) - we may well get more in soon as we had a few more tentative invites in at the weekend!

Cheers,

James

Rumour has it that we are now scheduled to visit sunny Gaydon and the Great Electric Train Show at the British Motor Museum sometime in mid-October...

However, the Hornby website has yet to be updated confirming all details.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Not sure if fans of Loftus Road have seen this but the Hornby Great Electric Train Show was originally to be held at the British Motor Museum at Gaydon.

However, the venue has now changed and we are off to sunny Milton Keynes and arenaMK instead. The dates and times remain the same.

(We shalln't be wearing our blue and yelow scarves that weekend for some reason).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing your pics Ed, and good to meet you too!

I grabbed a few shots of my own over the weekend at Canterbury, including some new & lesser-photographed stock from our Worthing MRC Loftus Road gang members!

39839346861_c1b17328c2_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

First up is Mark Stevens' 'Dutch' class 31, 31144 making a debut appearance on Loftus Road

39806900072_034e585f4e_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The veteran 'Brush' meets its newer heavyweight cousin in the form of triple grey 60028 John Flamsteed - one of my former Wells Green TMD depot allocation - now leading a harder life hauling an oil train through Loftus. 

38940360185_697fb3b518_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I'll probably do a few more of the TEA wagons later this year to expand the train further, updates will appear on my Workbench thread when I get around to it!

28060307159_21e903e7f7_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

39806871622_46dc389c3a_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Accompanying us on the Canterbury show visit was our honourable club Chairman Peter Denton, so his Stanier 'Coronation' class 46249 'City of Sheffield' had to make an appearance, being named after Peter's hometown!

39839155811_0a8dd56eea_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Another train from Mark, was this ever-increasing scrap train, headed up by EWS' 37174. First appearing at DEMU Showcase, the train has recently tripled in size due to an influx of SSA wagons being bought and bartered from other WMRC club members! 

39806964312_88839a4cbc_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Replicating the state of the modern railway, my EWS 67008 has been downgraded from Royal Mail workings to a simple ballast train, seen here passing the maroon '37' in the other direction, heading up the lengthy MHA, MKA & MTA ballast train.

24968965017_af52540dda_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Chris Sweeney's S-Stock adds a welcome bit of 'London' atmosphere..!

28060374629_3b9193d40e_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

28060385969_96a075929f_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

39129752204_ef1b46bd48_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

28060492359_ac447dc9c7_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Another loco that just can't stay away from Loftus Road is Freightliner's Shanks 66522 - several members have a model of this, and this example from Chris is one of several that he's owned over the years!

28060351949_6742a4a7bf_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

25966102628_88756b3f11_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The colourful DB Schenker 60007 can be spotted travelling through Loftus with a lovely set of Dapol ballast wagons.

38940566695_923b8d6fd8_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Finally, I couldn't resist a nod to the past, with an early-2000s classic - Virgin's bulled-up 47841 Spirit of Chester bursts onto the scene with a Brighton-Manchester Piccadilly cross-country service.

39806859872_ff45419062_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Overall, it was a great weekend away, good to meet up with many fellow RMWebbers, and a big thanks to the Canterbury MRS club for being so welcoming!

Cheers,

James

Hi Gents,

Loving the updates.  Can you give some more details of the Crawler Crane.  Have had a look on Google and see that there is a 1:50 version of it.  Excellent use of a corner space and eye catching given its height!

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi Gents,

Loving the updates.  Can you give some more details of the Crawler Crane.  Have had a look on Google and see that there is a 1:50 version of it.  Excellent use of a corner space and eye catching given its height!

Cheers

Evening  GEOEng03,

As the one who put it together, I can tell you that it is a Kibri kit no 13022. As such, it is marginally out of scale as it is an HO model. However, it goes together fairly well, although I did my usual thing of starting it  then putting it aside until the pressure of another show loomed large. I did the painting first then assembled it and this is where the fun came in as it has four separate windlasses, each with their own rigging to be set up. The kit, therefore, is cleverly planned as there is a removable panel which allows access to the windlasses so that these can be re-tensioned as required. Fortunately, we have a crane rigger as a club member who was willing to cast his professional eye over the whole thing before letting it loose on LR.

Our biggest problem now is transporting it safely between shows as it is also incredibly light. Usually bubble wrap and some careful shouting at members as we pack up in the 'post show blitz' ensures that so far, it has survived intact...

As for inspiration, the idea for the whole CrossRail corner came from watching some of the early episodes of the Channel 4 Fifteen Billion Pound Railway programmes. We already had a churchyard scene in development in that corner, but that was looking fairly naff, so the idea of CrossRail just meant that this could be a good opportunity to literally add some height and depth to the layout...

HTH

• Like 3

Evening  GEOEng03,

As the one who put it together, I can tell you that it is a Kibri kit no 13022. As such, it is marginally out of scale as it is an HO model. However, it goes together fairly well, although I did my usual thing of starting it  then putting it aside until the pressure of another show loomed large. I did the painting first then assembled it and this is where the fun came in as it has four separate windlasses, each with their own rigging to be set up. The kit, therefore, is cleverly planned as there is a removable panel which allows access to the windlasses so that these can be re-tensioned as required. Fortunately, we have a crane rigger as a club member who was willing to cast his professional eye over the whole thing before letting it loose on LR.

Our biggest problem now is transporting it safely between shows as it is also incredibly light. Usually bubble wrap and some careful shouting at members as we pack up in the 'post show blitz' ensures that so far, it has survived intact...

As for inspiration, the idea for the whole CrossRail corner came from watching some of the early episodes of the Channel 4 Fifteen Billion Pound Railway programmes. We already had a churchyard scene in development in that corner, but that was looking fairly naff, so the idea of CrossRail just meant that this could be a good opportunity to literally add some height and depth to the layout...

HTH

Hi

Thanks for the response, have searched quite a bit prior to that and certainly wouldn't have thought it was a kit, given the quality of the model you've built. Imagine that at that size, it being slightly out of scale isn't too obvious to the eye.

It really does draw the eye to that corner and is definitely something different to the usual corner fillers. Will definitely be pinching the idea for the kit, but not sure in what context, perhaps lifting a new bridge deck in... I recently brought the Bachmann Container crane for container terminal at one end of the layout, and now wonder whether this would've been much better

Cheers

Evening  GEOEng03,

HTH

This is a fabulous model.....I just shown my Mrs and daughter and we all found different things....Armed Police, guy kicking off in station,burker women, Boris bikes...and the flats behind to steam loco.....such a good model and it has trains!!

Great dudes.....your hard work and attention to detail..superb!!

BW

Just caught up on the layout. Really liking the progress and I think the crossrail idea is genius. Keeps it really relevant for today

The problem comes when CrossRail finishes - what do we do with that scenic section afterwards? HS2 isn't on our manor, so we'll have to think about this long and hard!

• RMweb Premium

The problem comes when CrossRail finishes - what do we do with that scenic section afterwards? HS2 isn't on our manor, so we'll have to think about this long and hard!

Cross rail station or cross rail access point?

Or a new Underground line........

Funnily enough, we have thought about an underground Underground line before, so don't go fetching your hat and coat just yet, Keith!

Edited by Harry Lime
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

We've been quiet here for a while but things have been going on in the background!

The layout's spent much time packed away in the Clubrooms after the Canterbury show in January, but with the Hornby Great Electric Train Show in Milton Keynes just around the corner, we've had it up and about for some maintenance and photography!

Firstly, here's an update on a small renovation at the front of the layout - our new van hire depot!

44579625211_cfb0aabc30_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Long-time layout followers may remember this front area as being a plain piece of tarmac and bit of generic 'green' - it's where the former Motorail terminal is on the real Kensington Olympia. While we didn't want to necessarily slavishly copy the Motorail building, I was inspired to create a vehicle rental depot, just as the real building is currently used for. 

Lots of greenery was cut back, and new hardstanding laid, with block concrete effect added, and a Bachmann building rebuilt into a Europcar 'hut'. New walling was scratchbuilt, and a fleet of Oxford Diecast Ford Transits were assembled ready to populate the depot.

Back at Christmas last year, and armed with the then-latest Taylor Swift music, I set to work creating my own Europcar decals & numberplates and adding them to the vans, before toning them down with a blast of matt varnish. 

43669744985_073be38c40_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Next up, the suitable weathering and detailing was added to the surfaces. Inspired by a couple of the rental places I've been to, I made sure to really stack in the vans tightly - it is amazing how the guys manoeuvre these things into the tightest spots, block vehicles in and double park to save space, they must have some interesting 'shunting' when someone wants the rear-most vans out!

43669715005_b6fe0e17f4_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

This then appeared at the Canterbury show in January in this condition, and just lately I've finished off the area, adding a few details such as a chap cleaning a van (below & top photo) using a scratchbuilt Karcher pressure washer (made from BluTak) and the classic scene of a rental depot employee guiding customer around a van to check for any damage prior to taking the vehicle out.

30709189558_0dc8d7070e_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

It fills a hole!

Next up is a progress update on another long-running detail project, this time at the other end of the layout - our Homebase model. 

29641085587_ec45b591bd_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Pete Hollman scratchbuilt the Homebase building itself, and I've given the yard a makeover, some loading bay debris and a lorry delivering a supply of cute little turf rolls!

The starting point was the Oxford curtainside lorry -

43669651905_5b07417dbe_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

This was soon hacked apart, with a new plasticard floor and supports added - 

30709135618_cfebdf16d4_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

To create the rolled-back curtain, I used nothing more high-tech than some tin foil..!

42769741300_b345944184_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

And now onto the load! I've always thought the little turf rolls are very cute, in miniature I have made these from Blu Tak rolled into tiny sausages and stacked on pallets. The load sticks itself together, but they are sealed in with some PVA just to make sure. 

29641028437_a4f3e4445c_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Here we go - 

29640998427_f9f91e4f51_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

It was then time to reach for the garish green paint - the lorry and grass being the same colour..!

43669523725_3ea4d47040_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The vehicle was given a full custom paint job to match images of real Homebase lorries in the early/mid 2000s, white cabs and green rears. Homebase decals were made to complete. 

30709005198_8c4dc96d70_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Once ready for planting, I also weathered up a Base Toys forklift and some Homebase employees and truck driver monitoring the unloading. There's a ton more detailing that I've got planned for the rear of the shop itself, but this is the start of the journey!

43860943594_084c789d9e_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Join us again soon for some more layout pics and updates!

Cheers,

James

• Like 14

We've been quiet here for a while but things have been going on in the background!

The layout's spent much time packed away in the Clubrooms after the Canterbury show in January, but with the Hornby Great Electric Train Show in Milton Keynes just around the corner, we've had it up and about for some maintenance and photography!

Firstly, here's an update on a small renovation at the front of the layout - our new van hire depot!

44579625211_cfb0aabc30_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Long-time layout followers may remember this front area as being a plain piece of tarmac and bit of generic 'green' - it's where the former Motorail terminal is on the real Kensington Olympia. While we didn't want to necessarily slavishly copy the Motorail building, I was inspired to create a vehicle rental depot, just as the real building is currently used for. 

Lots of greenery was cut back, and new hardstanding laid, with block concrete effect added, and a Bachmann building rebuilt into a Europcar 'hut'. New walling was scratchbuilt, and a fleet of Oxford Diecast Ford Transits were assembled ready to populate the depot.

Back at Christmas last year, and armed with the then-latest Taylor Swift music, I set to work creating my own Europcar decals & numberplates and adding them to the vans, before toning them down with a blast of matt varnish. 

43669744985_073be38c40_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Next up, the suitable weathering and detailing was added to the surfaces. Inspired by a couple of the rental places I've been to, I made sure to really stack in the vans tightly - it is amazing how the guys manoeuvre these things into the tightest spots, block vehicles in and double park to save space, they must have some interesting 'shunting' when someone wants the rear-most vans out!

43669715005_b6fe0e17f4_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

This then appeared at the Canterbury show in January in this condition, and just lately I've finished off the area, adding a few details such as a chap cleaning a van (below & top photo) using a scratchbuilt Karcher pressure washer (made from BluTak) and the classic scene of a rental depot employee guiding customer around a van to check for any damage prior to taking the vehicle out.

30709189558_0dc8d7070e_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

It fills a hole!

Next up is a progress update on another long-running detail project, this time at the other end of the layout - our Homebase model. 

29641085587_ec45b591bd_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Pete Hollman scratchbuilt the Homebase building itself, and I've given the yard a makeover, some loading bay debris and a lorry delivering a supply of cute little turf rolls!

The starting point was the Oxford curtainside lorry -

43669651905_5b07417dbe_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

This was soon hacked apart, with a new plasticard floor and supports added - 

30709135618_cfebdf16d4_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

To create the rolled-back curtain, I used nothing more high-tech than some tin foil..!

42769741300_b345944184_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

And now onto the load! I've always thought the little turf rolls are very cute, in miniature I have made these from Blu Tak rolled into tiny sausages and stacked on pallets. The load sticks itself together, but they are sealed in with some PVA just to make sure. 

29641028437_a4f3e4445c_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Here we go - 

29640998427_f9f91e4f51_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

It was then time to reach for the garish green paint - the lorry and grass being the same colour..!

43669523725_3ea4d47040_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The vehicle was given a full custom paint job to match images of real Homebase lorries in the early/mid 2000s, white cabs and green rears. Homebase decals were made to complete. 

30709005198_8c4dc96d70_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Once ready for planting, I also weathered up a Base Toys forklift and some Homebase employees and truck driver monitoring the unloading. There's a ton more detailing that I've got planned for the rear of the shop itself, but this is the start of the journey!

43860943594_084c789d9e_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Join us again soon for some more layout pics and updates!

Cheers,

James

just stunning mate the grass turf rolls look amazing .

• Like 5