RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Here it is again - duly arrived on our dining room table this afternoon. Not tested as yet (will do that next week after I've collected something from Trelowarren St in Camborne ;) ). It has the closest engine tender coupling I have ever seen, must be pretty close to scale!  Provided I can find some plates it will be undergoing genetic modification to become 'Skylark' (3454) which was a Reading engine and the final survivor of the class - no smokebox door numberplate but it did have a shedplate and was probably in GW livery under the filth; it won't quite match my target period but it won't be far off so I could do a bit of time bending.

attachicon.gifDSCF5975adjcr.jpg

Nice photos of 3454 at Tyseley here http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrt1077.htm and especially for Mike at 81D here  http://www.miac.org.uk/bulldogs.htm

An SLS trip in '51 http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/50s/510617sl.html [still in G W R livery ]

• RMweb Gold

Nice photos of 3454 at Tyseley here http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrt1077.htm and especially for Mike at 81D here  http://www.miac.org.uk/bulldogs.htm

An SLS trip in '51 http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/50s/510617sl.html [still in G W R livery ]

Thank you Rob - I'd already got the link for Brian's pics but the final one does confirm the tender livery thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Rob - I'd already got the link for Brian's pics but the final one does confirm the tender livery thanks.

You could always rename her to this beauty http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Great-Western-Railway-GWR-No-3340-MARAZION-Steam-Loco-RP-Photocard-/370831182525?pt=UK_Collectables_Postcards_MJ&hash=item565742cabd

Taken at Brent of all places ! Very modellable.

• RMweb Gold

Nah, the last one is the most useful as far as I'm concerned.  Still a bit out of period for me as I said but a little bit of time bending would occasionally be in order I think alongside the Dean Goods and the late survivor 'Star' (which is now on pre-order ;) ).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This must be one of my favourite shots of "Brent" so far, Rob. Great modelling but also the way you've framed the shot so that there is a sense of both foreground, width and depth (and reasonable sharpness too). Happy days! :-) 

post-126-0-56072700-1370624520_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's the red Devon rock I like - absolutely spot on colour-wise in my eyes.

It was all those family holidays staying at on the lovely Haven site at Devon Cliffs in the early 90s. ;)

Anyway,its a busy morning as we see Castle 5011 'Tintagel Castle' passing pannier 3796 in the aforementioned scenic setting.

post-126-0-53285300-1370770686_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-98539700-1370770710_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-62835200-1370770728_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-27275900-1370770748_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I know what you mean.Even if you buy the rch 5/7 plank wagon from Parkside and apply the Powside transfers it works out about the same.Its not rtr so you pay for individuality and not every layout has them.Nice though.

Hornby has taken a bashing recently but when they get it right doesn't it look great .An example with the Castle on the bank....

post-126-0-99463800-1370776822_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-46922200-1370776845_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-38850100-1370776864_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-17658400-1370776878_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-61087100-1370776901_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I've just ripped off the faded backscene.It came away quite easily probably because I used spraymount to fix it instead of wallpaper paste on the newer types.Its been up a few years though.I'm tempted to use lining paper first before adding the new one.Any suggestions.

I'm going to need some better seamoss trees as the ones I planned on reusing are very brittle.Who's idea was doing this anyway.

post-126-0-47663800-1370784573_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-78859100-1370784593_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Hi gwrrob..like the look of the layout and some crackin scenic shots I had the same problem with brittle seamoss trees but found that if soaked in water/pva mix for a while and then left to dry and then covered they became a bit more hard wearing to knocks etc  :yes:

• RMweb Gold

The evening sun sets in the South Hams as a lonely spotter catches his Castle on an express to the West.The sun has also set on the faded backscene as its no more.

post-126-0-84914200-1370808173_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-02737300-1370808188_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-99548600-1370808201_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

hey Rob, I know things happen slowly down Devon way but surely by now the hole in the roof of the barn should have been fixed.

Its been waiting years to be fixed but I doubt it will ever be done.I wonder how many of those Wills barns are on layouts up and down the country.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry chaps, been having a bit of a 'break' in hotter climes (not Dawlish).

OK so the KIng's recent (short) history.

My 1st purchase on that auction site a few years back, coming from a collection being sold by son  after dad had died (I know that can sometimes seem rather sad).

I did nothing to it as it was a pretty good job as far as I could/can tell. Sadly at that time I couldn't afford the other few items remaining from an extensive collection and they all looked just as good if not better. I reckon it was built in the early 70s and has always run well. It has been on loan  to another webber for a few years and he has serviced it (thanks Geoff).

Thanks to Rob for recent works repairs too. 

I have to say it looks really lovely on your layout; it needs to be doing this rather than languishing in a box in a loft. The original owner was a west country man and I do hope in some way he can see this work of his still giving pleasure to others.

Thanks Rob, Richard looks happy even if if he does smell!

Quack

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

There's no layout photos while I'm redoing the backscene and corner unless you want some of course but I've had chance to line out my Bachmann 45xx and renumber to 4555.Doesn't she look nice and quite realistic in the sun......

post-126-0-83450700-1370980118_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I was thinking how nice it would be if the P & D commissioned Bachmann to release 'Warrior' as a special edition.I know the SVR did something with a Manor so its possible.Hornby would need to do 'Hercules' and 'Goliath' though.I'd buy them for the happy holiday memories in the area still to this day.

Guest jonte

There's no layout photos while I'm redoing the backscene and corner unless you want some of course but I've had chance to line out my Bachmann 45xx and renumber to 4555.Doesn't she look nice and quite realistic in the sun......

Love the lining, Rob. Top work as usual.

However, if you don't mind my asking, were you having an off day when you weathered those rails? Totally unrealistic and well below your usual standard.

Jonte