RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I'm surprised Captain Kernow hasn't chipped in yet as he's the man on model signal boxes or maybe Gravy Train of this parish could help.

Oh but Monsieur, you flatter me! Sorry, been busy with 'family type duties'...

I've only ever used the Churchward/Modelex window frames. If Chris has got the dimensions of the prototype, this might end up being a bespoke etching job for one of the smaller manufacturers, such as RT Models or Narrow Planet, to a commission?

• RMweb Premium

Oh but Monsieur, you flatter me! Sorry, been busy with 'family type duties'...

I've only ever used the Churchward/Modelex window frames. If Chris has got the dimensions of the prototype, this might end up being a bespoke etching job for one of the smaller manufacturers, such as RT Models or Narrow Planet, to a commission?

Defo bespoke CK, they look like GWR 5 pane but the dimensions are wrong to be 'standard'.

• RMweb Gold

Mind the offside cab steps on 1368 Rob.

P

Well spotted young sir.They must have been bent out of shape by the portly driver who's been scoffing too many of Mr Aulds pasties. ;) How are the Finching sisters doing in Grantham.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh yes, I did hear some gossip at the weekend and failed to post it here due to being preoccupied with a visit to the NRM Yesterday.

Anyway, things are quiet down Grantham way (to which they moved just last week) as the New England Driver has not yet got his transfer (or so he says). Our RAF chappy is worried that he might be posted to Germany! That wouldn't suit Minnie. I'll keep an ear to the telegraph Rob.

P

P.S. saw an ad for a 42XX with late crest today - ummmmm. However, how easy will it be to convert to EM?

• RMweb Gold

Oh yes, I did hear some gossip at the weekend and failed to post it here due to being preoccupied with a visit to the NRM Yesterday.

Anyway, things are quiet down Grantham way (to which they moved just last week) as the New England Driver has not yet got his transfer (or so he says). Our RAF chappy is worried that he might be posted to Germany! That wouldn't suit Minnie. I'll keep an ear to the telegraph Rob.

P

P.S. saw an ad for a 42XX with late crest today - ummmmm. However, how easy will it be to convert to EM?

It's the 5205 which has the late crest - and they are in the shops (or hopefully after a 'phone message from Cornwall one of mine is in the post - or will be tomorrow), the other awaits collection from another retailer.

• RMweb Premium

It's the 5205 which has the late crest - and they are in the shops (or hopefully after a 'phone message from Cornwall one of mine is in the post - or will be tomorrow), the other awaits collection from another retailer.

Thanks. Oh yes it's number 5243; hadn't noticed. (Eyes shut as usual)

P

• RMweb Gold

A few more of 7202 in action now with the bag of bits added and even a crew [Falcon] ! I really must get around to detailing that greenhouse as I'm sure it would have been bursting with goodies at this time of the year.An open door will be a start.

post-126-0-38306100-1373567963_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-44741600-1373568030_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-27606700-1373568065_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-67840900-1373568076_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-33441400-1373568089_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-13225300-1373568100_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-31002500-1373568112_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-93492300-1373568124_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 14

A few more of 7202 in action now with the bag of bits added and even a crew [Falcon] ! I really must get around to detailing that greenhouse as I'm sure it would have been bursting with goodies at this time of the year.An open door will be a start.

I particularly like the setting for Pic 2 Robin.

• RMweb Gold

Apologies if I've shewn this before as I've just stumbled across it.Another thread mentioned a beach hut at Mudeford Quay going for 200k.These at Goodrington cost £220 to hire for the summer season.

Not keen on 7827 in black lined livery but a lovely line obviously aimed at tourists and not enthusiasts.Wish it still used semaphores instead of colour light signals.There's also a steam paddle steamer 'Kingswear Castle' in use now at Dartmouth.

http://www.dartmouthrailriver.co.uk/days-out/paddle-steamer-kingswear-castle

post-126-0-56927100-1373575361_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-80841800-1373575597_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Some lovely views of the 72xx there Rob. The red earth is becoming a signature theme on your layout, and the backscene is really looking good  :)

• RMweb Premium

Finchings would like the Goodrington Beach Huts; pity they are languishing in Grantham. They have made a friend there though. A young woman called Margaret who's dad owns a grocer's shop.

P

Edit to replace 'little girl' with young woman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Mallard60022

Finchings would like the Goodrington Beach Huts; pity they are languishing in Grantham. They have made a friend there though. A little girl Called Margaret who's dad owns a grocers shop.

P

I think your little girl Margaret (born 1925?) is already a young woman with some strong opinions and I hope the Finchings like a good argument.

If they don't like arguing perhaps they will make their long overdue return to the South Hams where they belong.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

make their long overdue return to the South Hams where they belong.

I have a sneaky feeling they will be back before you know it. ;)

Love the beach huts pictures, snuck a few on our thread, Willing to rent them much cheaper ;)

Love the red soil, we plan to do a touch of Dawlish in the future, the red is very reminiscent, nice sand stone.

Like the garden and the wooden water butt near the green house, all little touches that set the scene.

I have a sneaky feeling they will be back before you know it. ;)

Surely an urgent telegram advising the sisters that a powerful new tank locomotive has arrived in the South Hams would tilt the balance?

• RMweb Gold

Off topic I know but as its the summer season now here's a few more I took of 7827 taken at Saltern Cove.The sidings where the coaches were stabled on summer Saturdays at Goodrington are now a hardly used car park.How times have changed.

post-126-0-21065100-1373649542_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-84379700-1373649551_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-75370500-1373649561_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Surely an urgent telegram advising the sisters that a powerful new tank locomotive has arrived in the South Hams would tilt the balance?

I think the balance may have already been tilted as I'm told that the New England driver has 'done a runner' and joined the Royal Navy so that he can "see the world". As for the RAF fellow, he has been posted......to the far east . Finchings are inconsolable and a local Carrier's cart was spotted outside their cottage today. Sad news but possibly for the best as Devon is their true home and they had already decided their 'new friend' Margaret was far too bossy for their liking. :nono:

Quack

• RMweb Gold

Sad news but possibly for the best as Devon is their true home and they had already decided their 'new friend' Margaret was far too bossy for their liking. :nono:

Quack

Arthur Snodgrass heard she took their milk off them and wasn't very fond of Yorkshire coal either.Are they catching the train back then.

• RMweb Premium

Arthur Snodgrass heard she took their milk off them and wasn't very fond of Yorkshire coal either.Are they catching the train back then.

I'll have to pop down to 36E and get the goss from the staff..............

P

• RMweb Gold

Mike Roper, the porter can't believe his eyes after unloading the luggage from the 45xxs coach.Look who's sitting next to Zach Plunkett on the bench.One wonders what the conversation entailed but the Flora looks quite distressed.She might have heard the news that my City are playing their 'home' games in Northampton this season but then again maybe not.Either way its nice to see the Finching sisters home again.

I'm sure Mikkel or Mallard will have the answer.....

post-126-0-14088600-1373725867_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-63636300-1373725876_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-14028600-1373725885_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Having been to a traction engine etc rally today Mr Rob I have - at no expense spared - taken photographs of a number of Fordson tractors to illustrate clearly the colour differences for you as seen by the same camera.  I shall pop them in here when I have a chance.

Thanks Mike and I'm still none the wiser on which Humbrol/Revell colour to use to correct it. ;) The farmer is getting impatient as he wants it for Kingsbridge fair week. :yes: