A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

She might have heard the news that my City are playing their 'home' games in Northampton this season but then again maybe not.

It is more likely to be Plymouth Argyle's poor showings towards the bottom of League Division Two since WW2 which are causing concern, if football is the topic of conversation.

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Premium

cary hill, on 13 Jul 2013 - 17:51, said:

It is more likely to be Plymouth Argyle's poor showings towards the bottom of League Division Two since WW2 which are causing concern, if football is the topic of conversation.

But they do manage to do well in the mid 90s according to the tea leaves......!

Jack Chisolm.

Look who's sitting next to Zach Plunkett on the bench.

Well they have made it home. I'm told they went via Nottingham so that they didn't have to pass through Peterborough - so sad, however I believe they will enjoy themselves settled back on the platform with all their old friends. Has anyone told them about the 'big tanky' yet?

Flap.

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike and I'm still none the wiser on which Humbrol/Revell colour to use to correct it. ;) The farmer is getting impatient as he wants it for Kingsbridge fair week. :yes:

Rob I've an idea one of the Humbrol military colours might be fairly close - not sure what it's called.  Another route might be from anyne restoring Britains tractors over the years possibly?

• RMweb Premium

Nottingham Victoria to Woodford Halse (for Banbury and Swindon)?

Exactly; B1 to WH and then a Hall to Swindon; they enjoyed the 'slow train' routes. However at Swindon they did manage to catch an express for Totnes and there was a Castle up front + a Grange from N Abbot. Apparently, as they sat on Totnes waiting for their 'connection' for Brent (Paignton to Plymouth stopper) and could hear the Castle and Grange all the way up to the tunnel as it was such a still afternoon. :bye:

Zach was having his ear bent about the trials and tribulations of the Sisters' brief flirtation with the GN :nono:  Apparently the loco's are lovely and there is such a variety and some of the whistles are so haunting, especially those A4s  However They are sorry to report though that some of the footplate men are not to be trusted! :hunter:

Hope this helps to clarify matters?

P

• RMweb Gold

P

I think they're currently staying at the Packhorse Inn till they find somewhere of their own but how come they're on the up platform then.

• RMweb Premium

I think they're currently staying at the Packhorse Inn till they find somewhere of their own but how come they're on the up platform then.

Perhaps they have heard about that Mr Stanier, and are north west bound?

• RMweb Premium

'Cause they saw Zach.......he is rather handsome after all (so I'm told).

P

• RMweb Gold

Exactly; B1 to WH and then a Hall to Swindon; they enjoyed the 'slow train' routes. However at Swindon they did manage to catch an express for Totnes and there was a Castle up front + a Grange from N Abbot. Apparently, as they sat on Totnes waiting for their 'connection' for Brent (Paignton to Plymouth stopper) and could hear the Castle and Grange all the way up to the tunnel as it was such a still afternoon. :bye:

Zach was having his ear bent about the trials and tribulations of the Sisters' brief flirtation with the GN :nono:  Apparently the loco's are lovely and there is such a variety and some of the whistles are so haunting, especially those A4s  However They are sorry to report though that some of the footplate men are not to be trusted! :hunter:

P

Why didn't they catch the through train (well through coach to be pedantic)?  And they might have had a B1 to Swindon on that.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Why didn't they catch the through train (well through coach to be pedantic)?  And they might have had a B1 to Swindon on that.

They had missed that one; shame really as that would have saved some time at WH. However they did bunk the shed at WH having had ages to wait! They enjoyed the teacakes in the Station Buffet as well. 

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
 They enjoyed the teacakes in the Station Buffet as well. 

P

Not half as much as some saffron buns from Joseph Aulds corner store though.Meanwhile Tigley Junction is busy and would be a joy for a shed bunker today as 2884 class 3864 passes by with a train of empty cattle wagons destined for Ponsandane Sidings maybe for some broccoli traffic later.As the new Hornby 28xx release is delayed this will have to work much harder.

Those who regularly follow this thread may know what I'm thinking regarding another faded backscene in photo 1. ;)

Can anyone help with a shirtbutton location in this thread please http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73935-siphon-g-in-shirtbutton-livery/

post-126-0-53701100-1373802461_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-36629900-1373802473_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-48769900-1373802485_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-18501200-1373802498_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-03834600-1373803538_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

And back to tractors and some direct colour comparisons for various Fordsons.

The first pic shows a post-war Fordson Major in the dark blue in which these tractors were originally painted alongside a fairly modern Ford tractor in the pale blue & grey scheme.

The second pic shows a Fordson Dexta in the pale blue scheme which succeeded the dark blue in c.the late 1950s a colour which was never used on the immediate postwar Fordson Major design

post-6859-0-34757900-1373814118_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-34757900-1373814118_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-15684300-1373814225_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

One wonders what the conversation entailed but the Flora looks quite distressed.

Could it have anything to do with Flora's estranged twin sister, Agnes?

Many years ago there used to be three of them, you see, sitting on benches all over the GWR system and having a wonderful time. Then there was that terrible affair involving a Sunday picnic, a handsome fireman and a cattle wagon. Their relationship soured, and now they frequent different benches and different stations...

gallery_738_870_45071.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Flora and Agnes obviously have a weakness for strong blokes. The local firemen had better watch out then! If the new 'tanky' crew play their cards right there could be more gossip around Brent and the Packhorse!

Let's hope there is no further intrusion by 'foreign' locomotives and their slick haired 'masters'!

By the way, is it true, the rumour that is, that Laira is to be given a new build Castle in the near future?

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

By the way, is it true, the rumour that is, that Laira is to be given a new build Castle in the near future?

P

Yes if the supply problems get sorted. ;) A Newton based one though perhaps.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob

You don't have many to choose from at Newton Abbot or Laira

What do you mean as my records show at least a dozen Castles between them post war.

• RMweb Gold

What do you mean as my records show at least a dozen Castles between them post war.

According to the RCTS history almost 20% of the class was allocated to Newton + Laira in 1947 (27 engines out of a total of 140 then in traffic) and the two sheds had 20 between them in 1938.  By 1950 their combined total had risen to 31.

• Like 1

Yes if the supply problems get sorted. ;) A Newton based one though perhaps.

I think something "patriotic" from the dozen or so "Castles" based at NA in 1946/47, such as 5071 "Spitfire", would be very fitting, which, if my information is correct arrived at NA in July 1940 precisely when the BoB was beginning to hot up.

I know it wasn't named "Spitfire" until September 1940, but I think it stayed at NA until 1958. I assume Hornby's 5075 "Wellington" could be the donor locomotive, if it ever arrives, although perhaps the Hawksworth livery won't do.

At least it will add a bit of variety to the names. I would have suggested 5047 "Earl of Dartmouth" for a "local" connection, but I think you've already got an "Earl....."

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

What a splendid post David.Yes I will be doing an aircraft Castle but probably Fairey Battle to start with due to Hornby releasing one with a shortlived Hawksworth tender.All the NA Castles had Collett tenders post war so I can't do Spitfire,Hurricane or Beaufort with the new release.Incidently have you seen Spitfire near Saltern Cove in that Wild Swan book we have.

Another Earl as well oh go on then. ;)

• Like 2

What a splendid post David.Yes I will be doing an aircraft Castle but probably Fairey Battle to start with due to Hornby releasing one with a shortlived Hawksworth tender.All the NA Castles had Collett tenders post war so I can't do Spitfire,Hurricane or Beaufort with the new release.Incidently have you seen Spitfire near Saltern Cove in that Wild Swan book we have.

Another Earl as well oh go on then. ;)

Yes I did spot "Spitfire" in that photo - that was my first inkling of possible "tender" trouble but I pressed on regardless.

If it has to be "Fairey Battle" so be it. I just hope your locomotive is more successful than its flying equivalent, which seems to have been hopelessly outclassed by the enemy and a bit of a "deathtrap", but we are talking about a "Castle" and it should be able to see off the opposition.

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 3