RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Hey Rob, seen any good Monsters recently?  Come on own up! Has one passed through Brent? Would the Finchings swoon on spotting one?

P

Never fancied one to be honest.More pressing needs in the coaching stock dept. ;)

I'll be posting my Comet Dean Goods assembled chassis in the classifieds over the weekend if anyone is interested.PM please.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/classifieds/item/2984-comet-Dapol-great-western-dean-goods/

Advert added.

Edited by gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

So if a Monster came stumbling your way you wouldn't be bothered?

P

Why are you going to build me the Mailcoach kit then ?  :no: No soldering needed on that beast.The GWR only made a handful of these and it would have been very lucky to have seen one running.A bit like the K38 Ocean Mails coach that everyone models.

Edit.A bit of research.

Edited by gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I've mentioned this book before but an impulse ebay purchase of another Bachmann 4575 prairie had me searching for another photo of 4582 to renumber my model.

http://www.transportstore.com/book.cfm/14446/1224/Great_Western_Small_Prairie_Tanks_STIFF_DG__DART_M

There's one in the Middleton Press Kingsbridge branch book but any other ideas welcome. https://www.middletonpress.co.uk/books/railways/branch-lines/branch-line-to-kingsbridge.html

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's been a bit quiet on here of late but all changes with a visit this afternoon to Tigley Junction shed where we see newly arrived 7200 getting ready for her duties. ;)

post-126-0-80123800-1385216593_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-87293500-1385216617_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-37700700-1385216640_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-42119400-1385216659_thumb.jpg

I've decided on reflection to not change the position of the route code.I know it's wrong but I feel I'll muck the weathering up by removing it from the cab now.I'll fit the correct headlamp and off we go...

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob

Does the 7200 fit inside the shed or are you knocking the back wall out ? Inoticed the O/S front step handle has come adrift on your engine be careful you might lose it.

I have plans for a bigger shed one day but not at the moment, so no it don't fit ! I've tweaked that handle now and I think the footplate looks better now too.More gentle persuasion.

Edited by gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

More of the 7200 sat on shed all coaled up and ready to go. ;)

post-126-0-55092300-1385227534_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-87670000-1385227565_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-02490100-1385227586_thumb.jpg

Hornby have had a bashing,rightly so in some instances, in recent times but with a bit of work their models can turn out quite nice.It's a shame I will have to turn to the blue box company for something to put behind her.

• Like 8

Those pictures of 7200 are a great "pick-me-up" after having just fought for over five hours at WARley.

My wallet and I have just completed our warmdown and are both hoping that the rucksack, wheelchair and financial bruises won't show up too much by tomorrow. I've come back with 25 yds of C & L track, Irwell's "The Book of the Warships" , which was discounted by an amount in excess of the NEC parking fine, and some loco detailing parts.

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The law of sod at work as today I've been informed via MREmag that Brassmasters have released a detailing kit for the 42xx/72xx which includes a replacement cab back plus other refinements.Too late perhaps for 7200 but others may benefit from the heads up. ;) A prompt email informs me the modeller has to form the rivets on this etch.

http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/42-72xx_detailing.htm

Walked past their stand on Sunday too. :O

post-126-0-38958000-1385575164_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Now then, have you many automobiles on the layout (or whatever those flirty Finchings call them)?

P

None as yet but I made a kit from Scalelink for an Austin 7 ruby yonks ago but it went missing sometime back.I don't think there's much rtr available for the late 40's.I would also like some period buses like Tally Ho or Western National.

With your apparent love of black liveried Dukedogs becoming open knowledge on RMWeb now is the perfect time to consider this pre-Christmas conversion.

post-9751-0-66366500-1385584992_thumb.jpg

I read with concern and sadness that 1368 might be redundant when the Heljan 1366 arrives, but thought this conversion of 1368 into a black liveried Hunslet 0-4-0 ST would appeal and also be in keeping with the GWR tradition of re-using loco parts wherever possible.

I see it as a low cost quickie not needing much more than some minor hacksaw surgery to remove part of the pannier tanks and some spare plastic card to fabricate some saddletanks and generally make good. There is not too much below footplate work to be contemplated other than the removal of one set of wheels - these will, of course, be re-used as part of an improved bogie arrangement under the Hornby Star, as they are not of the right diameter or type, so should be perfect. 

There will also be a full set of buffers, some boiler fittings and a large roof section available for other projects.

The end result, after an hour or so, will be a handsome 0-4-0 ST, which should pass the "three foot test" with a lot of squinting and just requiring a coat of black paint and some neat red lining to complete.

The photographed loco from the internet is "The Baron" of the same build type as the particular one which caught my eye and which was named "Robbie". To keep costs down I reckon this could be shortened to "Rob" when negotiating with 247 Developments for bespoke plates.

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

With your apparent love of black liveried Dukedogs becoming open knowledge on RMWeb now is the perfect time to consider this pre-Christmas conversion.

attachicon.gifthe baron at mountsorrel2.jpg

I read with concern and sadness that 1368 might be redundant when the Heljan 1366 arrives, but thought this conversion of 1368 into a black liveried Hunslet 0-4-0 ST would appeal and also be in keeping with the GWR tradition of re-using loco parts wherever possible.

I see it as a low cost quickie not needing much more than some minor hacksaw surgery to remove part of the pannier tanks and some spare plastic card to fabricate some saddletanks and generally make good. There is not too much below footplate work to be contemplated other than the removal of one set of wheels - these will, of course, be re-used as part of an improved bogie arrangement under the Hornby Star, as they are not of the right diameter or type, so should be perfect. 

There will also be a full set of buffers, some boiler fittings and a large roof section available for other projects.

The end result, after an hour or so, will be a handsome 0-4-0 ST, which should pass the "three foot test" with a lot of squinting and just requiring a coat of black paint and some neat red lining to complete.

The photographed loco from the internet is "The Baron" of the same build type as the particular one which caught my eye and which was named "Robbie". To keep costs down I reckon this could be shortened to "Rob" when negotiating with 247 Developments for bespoke plates.

Very clever David but 1368 will only be made redundant if Heljans model is up to scratch.2015 according the guy on their stand.I hope they don't copy 'your' photo for the lettering as it's back to front. :blum: Nice idea and well crafted too.

remember the no buses on the bridge thingy!

That old clique. ;) I saw a very nice Routemaster on The Gresley Beat complete with driver and passengers at the weekend.Even their vehicles are top class.

Very clever David but 1368 will only be made redundant if Heljans model is up to scratch.2015 according the guy on their stand.I hope they don't copy 'your' photo for the lettering as it's back to front. :blum: Nice idea and well crafted too.

remember the no buses on the bridge thingy!

That old clique. ;) I saw a very nice Routemaster on The Gresley Beat complete with driver and passengers at the weekend.Even their vehicles are top class.

I only reversed the pic so that any sketches you needed to make would be easier :jester: . I agree it's wise to wait to see what Heljan's offering turns out like.

• RMweb Gold

I made a kit from Scalelink for an Austin 7 ruby yonks ago but it went missing sometime back.

Aha, the game is afoot! Now who would be our prime suspects? The flirty Finchings? 

• RMweb Premium

Oh of course, the Flirtys. Check that barn................... :mail:

By the the Quack didn't they wip the tanks and bunker off th H16 and tie a tender on the back to stop it falling off the track or was that one of the other types of Southern engine?

That was the U 2.6.0s that were rebuilds of rather dodgy Ks 2.6.2.T!

Class. H16s were mighty 4.6.2.T. loco's. However you should look at the G16 4.8.0.T; what an ugly beast :sarcastic: (not in my eyes of course).

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The flirty Finchings? 

It was some joyriders and it ended up in the Kingsbridge dump.Talking of the sisters there will be a bit of eye candy arriving at the weekend for them. ;)

• RMweb Gold

It was some joyriders and it ended up in the Kingsbridge dump.Talking of the sisters there will be a bit of eye candy arriving at the weekend for them. ;)

I do hope you mean something to do with railways!