A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

When digging for allocations of S160s, I did find this article, which is an account of some types seen around NA during the war:-

http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/Engines-turned-parts-GWR/story-14007167-detail/story.html#axzz2kHvGhmLy

I don't know if it's of interest, nor if there are other  episodes somewhere.

Thanks Brian.There is no author to that excellent piece but it may have been Torquay based Peter W Gray who wrote it.

Now you're talking and I know someone who follows this thread who has one and he's going to the Warley show in a couple of weeks.I might bump into him.Two and two make.....

Perhaps I should go to Warley this year to witness the handover ceremony. I haven't been since 2009, when after entering the Hall, I was immediately involuntarily involved in a "rolling maul", and I soon found myself in the Front Row facing Bachmann Second(s) XV. 

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps I should go to Warley this year to witness the handover ceremony. I haven't been since 2009, when after entering the Hall, I was immediately involuntarily involved in a "rolling maul", and I soon found myself in the Front Row facing Bachmann Second(s) XV. 

Its not that bad.I'll be there hopefully with plenty of cash to spend. :superstition:

• RMweb Gold

Zach Plunkett is the talk of the village today as he overheard a conversation he perhaps shouldn't have.My DJH kit built 1368 is being made redundant. :O Minnie and Flora Finching are in bits as they remember it when it was just a box of whitemetal castings.Apparently some Danish firm,where's Mikkel, are releasing a brand new model very soon.A younger,sexier and a better runner perhaps to shunt some wagons by the docks.I wonder what colour the front will be. ;)

Happier summer days here as 1368 sits on the cattle dock road.....

post-126-0-28528900-1384278312_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-36332200-1384278338_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

A younger,sexier and a better runner perhaps to shunt some wagons by the docks. ;)

I think I misread that - for a moment I was thinking of a 1366 shunting at ANOB'S interpretation of "Weymouth" and then I remembered Brent is not near the sea.

• RMweb Premium

- you need something pleasing on the eye. A Bulldog perhaps?

Now you're talking and I know someone who follows this thread who has one and he's going to the Warley show in a couple of weeks.

post-6765-0-61511900-1384285457.jpg

But I'm not going to Warley . :sungum:

• Like 9

Its not that bad.I'll be there hopefully with plenty of cash to spend. :superstition:

I've just found an action shot of the Warley Bachmann Seconds scrummage:

post-9751-0-74136800-1384288432_thumb.jpg

The bloke looking down on the far right bears a more than a passing resemblance to me on a bad day. :O

Cheerful looking crowd they are not.

I'm still debating whether Warley is worth the parking fee fine, as rail travel isn't a viable option for me.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You used to, But some of their re-cond locos are now almost the same price as a brand new from the likes of Hattons. or at least that was the impression I got a couple of years ago.

You definitely used to - all (almost) of those I've bought from that stand have turned out to be pretty good and were at very good prices, and as for the Tillig points well they were a superb bargain and are carefully stashed away pending realisation of dreams. (It really is how surprising just how much pointwork in the South Wales valleys was relaid with brand new FB rail in the very early 1960s when bullhead was still going in elsewhere on the WR.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can't believe it's been 21 years at the NEC.I was a teenager back then. :no: It was a bold move going there by Warley but a turnout of 18000+ must have made it pay over the years.The lighting is still pi**poor despite the money the NEC rake in.I don't think I'd fancy being a layout operator there.

• RMweb Gold

Hey Rob, got any spare rooms? :sungum:

There's no room at the inn unfortunately unless you want to sleep with the Finching sisters in the railway quarters. :jester: Seriously though if anyone who contributes on this thread would like to say hello at Warley please let me know.It's you lot that keep me going on here. ;)

• Like 2

I can't believe it's been 21 years at the NEC.I was a teenager back then. :no: It was a bold move going there by Warley but a turnout of 18000+ must have made it pay over the years.The lighting is still pi**poor despite the money the NEC rake in.I don't think I'd fancy being a layout operator there.

You definitely need lights on the layout and a piece of carpet or something soft behind the layout to stand on. That floor is very hard, as we found out when we exhibited Potterbourne a year or three ago. Since then we have always taken a some carpet to stand on.

• Like 1