Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

'A FAIRYTALE OF THE SOUTH HAMS'

It was Christmas Eve babe,in the drunk tank.

An old man said to me 'You won't see another one'

And then they sang a song,the rare old Dartmoor dew.

I turned my face away and dreamed about you.....

A parcel has arrived probably containing my Christmas present from Denmark of all places. ;) Thanks Mikkel. :good:

attachicon.gifP6046469_snow.jpg

7804 'Baydon Manor' pulls away from the up platform on one of the last services on this Christmas Eve on a bitterly cold day in South Hams.

attachicon.gifDSCN0844_snow.jpg

Merry Christmas.

Well, I never. Aunt Augusta in the snow! Good for her, she always did fancy a bit of rough weather.

And oh, right, I was going to send you all my stock for christmas. Sorry I completely forgot, must've slipped my mind, Rob :sarcastichand:

But seriously, that shot of the manor shows Brent at its very best. Absolutely superb. Must be one of your favourite views?   

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have a theory about the Finching sisters... I think they are really half-sisters, same mother,different fathers. One of them is clearly the love child of Algernon Cuthbertson... The other, well, I'm not so sure, but her Teutonic features may be marking her out as the product of an insane night of South Hams passion between their mother and that Prussian on the run, Horst Arschenbaum....  :lol:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

But seriously, that shot of the manor shows Brent at its very best. Absolutely superb. Must be one of your favourite views?   

Thanks very much Mikkel.It is a favourable viewpoint for photos but it's not as easy to hide the background clutter[junk] as on others.I however will try to take more from here over the next few months.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Evening Robin,

I've woken from slumbers and have missed out on my Brent fix for a few days.

Well what have I missed!   ;)

post-126-0-08410300-1387900441_thumb.jpg

Agree with Mikkle totally  One of the nicest shots of Brent I've seen.   ;)

Nicely composed and you know what I'm going to say?  Great choice of motive power too! :D

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

post-126-0-08410300-1387900441_thumb.jpg

Agree with Mikkle totally  One of the nicest shots of Brent I've seen.   ;)

Nicely composed and you know what I'm going to say?  Great choice of motive power too! :D

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark.It's an old shot because if you look in the background its the old backscene and embankment scenics.This would date the photo as before June 2013. :read:

I've seen a real Manor this last week. :D  7812 again.

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've not taken many at all from this viewpoint so I make no apology for shewing 4547 and its single coach on an up stopping service to Exeter.

post-126-0-57287700-1388084636_thumb.jpg

No snow added this time.

An unusual pairing of 3440 and a b set.

post-126-0-96997100-1388089240_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mark.It's an old shot because if you look in the background its the old backscene and embankment scenics.This would date the photo as before June 2013. :read:

I've seen a real Manor this last week. :D  7812 again.

Blimey Robin,

I'm still not with it so not that observant this eve and will surface tomorrow afternoon in a post Festering/looking forwards to the New Year haze! :D

It's a great shot still-having a real sense of openness about it too. :)

You lucky thing seeing a Manor. The last one I saw was 7808 at Didcot a few years back.  Will have to address that in the forthcoming year. ;)

Like others have said a 'Big Thankyou' for this thread over the past year. Not only for the layout and your modelling but also for the laughs and banter (That includes other contributors too). :D

I guess that's one of the great things about this forum?

Expect to see some progress on my Teign Valley project in the New Year as well. :) There's bits on the workbench progressing and I'm sure a Dukedog made it up the Teign Valley line at some point? :D

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Like others have said a 'Big Thankyou' for this thread over the past year. Not only for the layout and your modelling but also for the laughs and banter (That includes other contributors too). :D

I guess that's one of the great things about this forum?

No ,thanks to you lot from me.I won't embarrass people by naming them and I didn't expect this thread to be so enjoyable when I started it back in March.I know my modelling limitations so I make up for it with the laughs and banter.One thing I do strive for is individuality and charm and hopefully I carry this off occasionally on here.I know there are sometimes anomalies but I try my best with the ingredients at my disposal.Bring on 2014.....

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if I may trespass on Robin's thread for a brief moment, and include some local views, to add to the feeling of a real place that Robin's layout already imparts. These were taken on a walk around the district this afternoon, and whilst these are not the shots/views planned for the new backscene (later in the Spring), they do perhaps give an impression of the area, for those not already familiar with it.

Looking east, from Aish Lane (Brent Hill in the background). The railway is to the right and lower down the hill at this point:

post-57-0-52690500-1388159833.jpg

Turning almost 180 degrees, the railway is just visible at the bottom of the field, looking towards Plymouth and the west:

post-57-0-52712800-1388159904.jpg

A view of the River Avon in full flow, tumbling down the rocks from Lydia Bridge, just outside the village:

post-57-0-12500300-1388160002.jpg

Robin should be warned never to take any of his locomotives across Lydia Bridge, should he ever be tempted to!

post-57-0-39961000-1388160034.jpg

A rear view through the trees of the manor house (could this be Finching Manor, perchance?!  ;) ):

post-57-0-14967700-1388160153.jpg

More views near the manor, the railway is behind the camera at this point:

post-57-0-91822200-1388160186.jpg

Moving slightly further along the lane, back towards the village, and the front of the manor house comes into view:

post-57-0-13642600-1388160242.jpg

We are now in Station Road, on the Up side, and looking towards London. The main station building would have been just opposite the temporary Winter duckpond on the left (this was right across the road on Christmas Eve...!):

post-57-0-77034700-1388160311.jpg

The contemporary view of the station area from the main road bridge at the London-end of the station. Sadly, the signalbox is now due to be demolished. Views like this serve to show, in my view, just how good Robin's layout is, and what a useful historical record it is of the place:

post-57-0-21412000-1388160388.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

You've done it again CK.Made me go teary eyed of what was once there. :no2: Cracking photos and I'll look forward to liaise with you in the Spring.I've said it before,you live in a beautiful part of Devon.Thanks.

BTW There is no Finching Manor in my ABC ! No sign of Mike Roper either. :jester:

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if I may trespass on Robin's thread for a brief moment, and include some local views, to add to the feeling of a real place that Robin's layout already imparts. These were taken on a walk around the district this afternoon, and whilst these are not the shots/views planned for the new backscene (later in the Spring), they do perhaps give an impression of the area, for those not already familiar with it.

Looking east, from Aish Lane (Brent Hill in the background). The railway is to the right and lower down the hill at this point:

attachicon.gifDSC04415.JPG

Turning almost 180 degrees, the railway is just visible at the bottom of the field, looking towards Plymouth and the west:

attachicon.gifDSC04416.JPG

A view of the River Avon in full flow, tumbling down the rocks from Lydia Bridge, just outside the village:

attachicon.gifDSC04418.JPG

Robin should be warned never to take any of his locomotives across Lydia Bridge, should he ever be tempted to!

attachicon.gifDSC04419.JPG

A rear view through the trees of the manor house (could this be Finching Manor, perchance?!  ;) ):

attachicon.gifDSC04420.JPG

More views near the manor, the railway is behind the camera at this point:

attachicon.gifDSC04423.JPG

Moving slightly further along the lane, back towards the village, and the front of the manor house comes into view:

attachicon.gifDSC04424.JPG

We are now in Station Road, on the Up side, and looking towards London. The main station building would have been just opposite the temporary Winter duckpond on the left (this was right across the road on Christmas Eve...!):

attachicon.gifDSC04425.JPG

The contemporary view of the station area from the main road bridge at the London-end of the station. Sadly, the signalbox is now due to be demolished. Views like this serve to show, in my view, just how good Robin's layout is, and what a useful historical record it is of the place:

attachicon.gifDSC04426.JPG

Nice shots CK. ;)

Roads and views I know so well. :)

However you appear to have missed out the drinking establishment where the Finching sisters have their port and lemon.

If I remember correctly I believe it's called the Pack Horse Inn?  :D

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

• RMweb Gold

However you have appeared to have missed out the drinking establishment where the Finching sisters have their port and lemon.  If I remember correctly I believe it's called the Pack Horse Inn. :D

Cheers,

Mark

post-126-0-94657700-1388170029.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

BTW There is no Finching Manor in my ABC !. :jester:

I believe that was the elusive 31st member of the class 7830 shedded at Newton Abbot from new till it was reallocated to the Cambrian division in the late 1950's. *

Photographs of it are quite rare by all accounts? ;)

Cheers,

Mark

*Or have I had too much Stilton?  :jester: 

• RMweb Premium

Rough place Brent; can you see the face of the bloke that was bumped off for chatting up the Finchings' great, great granny and then 'set' in one of the concrete blocks when the pub was refurbished? (5th one down on the right next to the PLYMOUTH RD sign).

Quack.

• RMweb Gold

Yes the place still bears the scars from nights out with Augustus Snodgrass.He wants to know where his Ricoh invite is too.Perhaps Andy might like to use him as a doorman. :O

BTW.If the weather is favourable tomorrow I'll post a photo of my recently glazed K40 on an up service from my new favourite viewpoint. ;)

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes the place still bears the scars from nights out with Augustus Snodgrass.He wants to know where his Ricoh invite is too.Perhaps Andy might like to use him as a doorman. :O

Apparently it's been sent to Sixfields! ;)

• RMweb Gold

It's a bitterly cold winter's morning in the South Hams as a short parcels train leaves Brent.The sisters await their down train as they are going to Plymouth to do some shopping.

Newtons 4547 with a well weathered siphon g and Comet kit built K40 in wartime all brown livery.

I'm gradually working through my old Mainline siphons adding grab handles,scissor gangways,changing to shirtbutton,getting rid of the ghastly white roof and changing the bogies.

post-126-0-23795100-1388226411_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-35255500-1388226437_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-18153600-1388226499_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-75130600-1388226843_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Now then,you would think that the noise of the train would wake the "girls" up ?

They've just noticed the K40 was sitting too high and have sent a message via the signal man to the carriage works. ;)

The cameraman was annoyed as he will have to retake them.

post-126-0-97004600-1388228701_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It's a bitterly cold winter's morning in the South Hams as a short parcels train leaves Brent.The sisters await their down train as they are going to Plymouth to do some shopping.

Newtons 4547 with a well weathered siphon g and Comet kit built K40 in wartime all brown livery.

I'm gradually working through my old Mainline siphons adding grab handles,scissor gangways,changing to shirtbutton,getting rid of the ghastly white roof and changing the bogies.

Hi Robin,

What are you changing the bogies to?

Thanks,