Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Some are eaiser than others, but I wouldn't say any more difficult than parkside.

Some have a one piece floor/solbar/wirons (not sure about the starfish, but the steel gw open is one) which is a fair step up on parkside for a rigid oo build.

Thanks for the heads up on ling and tunney, will start looking for some.

I've found a very nice photo of 6829 'Burmington Grange' with a train of P.W. ballast hoppers pictured at Stoneycombe sidings in 1957.My question is what equivalent wagon would have been used ten years earlier.

Photo source.David S Fish,Steam on the South Devon banks.

Hi Rob,

I'm pretty certain that Dia. P6 and P22 hoppers were used on the Stoneycombe Quarry ballast trains prior to the advent of the BR Catfish/Dogfish wagons.

From memory, doesn't that David Fish shot you are referring to show 6829 in Lined Green. In which case it will be post May 1957, when the BR hoppers would be the sole preserve at Stoneycombe.

Love the figures and detail of the flowerbeds on Brent by the way. Top draw!

Regards,

Andy.

• RMweb Gold

From memory, doesn't that David Fish shot you are referring to show 6829 in Lined Green. In which case it will be post May 1957, when the BR hoppers would be the sole preserve at Stoneycombe.

6829 is in lined green and it's dated September '57.I wish I could post it but the mods would shoot me.

Hi Rob,

I'm pretty certain that Dia. P6 and P22 hoppers were used on the Stoneycombe Quarry ballast trains prior to the advent of the BR Catfish/Dogfish wagons.

Love the figures and detail of the flowerbeds on Brent by the way. Top draw!

Regards,

Andy.

I've seen photos of P22s working from Stoneycombe, well into the diesel era (June 1974, hauled by a Hymek)

Those Stoneycombe Quarry ballast trains by the way were a regular turn for a 83A Grange or 2884 (depending on loading). The diagram often involved running from Hackney Yard up to the quarry, loading and running round, then retuning down the hill tender first to Hackney! Alternatively the wagons would be left for a more sedate loading and collected by a light engine move later in the day.   

Sorry to burst your bubble, but not a regular turn through Brent. Still its your railway and all that!  ;)

Andy.

Edited by Andy M

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to burst your bubble, but not a regular turn through Brent. Still its your railway and all that!  ;)

Andy.

You're joking right.I've just ordered 20 Cambrian wagons for it. ;) I thought the train carried on Westwards from there I must admit.

You're joking right.I've just ordered 20 Cambrian wagons for it. ;) I thought the train carried on Westwards from there I must admit.

Sorry Rob, what I meant to say was…………these trains ran on to Plymouth and beyond, usually consisting of exactly 20 wagons and were often noted to hold at Brent for photographic purposes and inspection by the Finching sisters!

My mistake  :D

Andy.

• RMweb Gold

All this talk about 6829 and Alan shewing his lined green version on Wencombe has made me rustle up this old effort on a parcels.A few changes since I took this shot back in 2011.

post-126-0-10914300-1388952876_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Have you seen his ferns Cordylines .....  :mosking:

Yes Andy has asked me to do a demo on their making at the live show at the Ricoh.Got to be worth coming over for surely. :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Minnie and Flora are disappointed that they can't join Facebook as the earliest year date they can use is 1905. ;) Never mind.

They would like to quash the rumours that they are going to appear on Celebrity Big Brother this month. :jester:

... Will bring some tulips

Are you really Max Bygraves.

• RMweb Gold

No, I'm better. Wait till you hear me sing " Tulips from Groningen".  It'll bring tears to your eyes.   :cry:  

Very,very good.Talking of scraping the barrel.I've plundered my gallery for this old photo taken with my old camera of 4948 'Northwick Hall' on a down m&p.

The two ladies in the foreground look familiar and before they were famous.

post-126-0-71563300-1389034467_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

It's the summer of '57 as Castle class 5049 'Earl of Plymouth' storms up Hemerdon with the Royal Duchy.

post-126-0-53499900-1389126324_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I'm trying to keep you all interested through the dark nights of Winter.I'm considering doing a video clip again for something different.

A: Where shall I sight the camera for best effect.

B: What stock would you like me to use.

C GWR or BR period.

• RMweb Gold

I think you are encouraging the wrong types on this thread, BR indeed!!!!!. :ireful:

As I only have two [three if you count Mallards,King] locos then I'm limited on that turn.So Danemouths B is definitely out. ;)

• RMweb Premium

Shall I reply then....

As I only have two [three if you count Mallards,King] locos then I'm limited on that turn.So Danemouths B is definitely out. ;)

A: Where shall I sight the camera for best effect. - Shed or Station please.

B: What stock would you like me to use. - How Cheeky shall I be.... Given I have just been called a Cheeky Sod :-) in a PM 

a. Toplights!

b. Autocoach

c. Centenary's....... 

C GWR or BR period.

10:30am ex-PDN Cornish Riviera Limited - GWR please

Cheeky enough?

• Like 2