A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Possibly a variation of "Venos Cold Cure" above left of large Wales poster board? Similar to this:

post-9751-0-40827800-1396652829.png

Might even be a surviving enamel sign judging from the jaunty bendy angle it's hanging at.

My son thought the small board furthest upper right might say "Moons Quality Furniture" which makes no sense at all but we've both been drinking.

He did say is there any possibility that some of smaller posters/hoardings could be advertising "local" businesses and not be easily recognisable.

I'll have another look tomorrow when I'm not seeing double and try inverting the images.

"Good game, good game" as Brucie used to say.

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 1

My son thought the small board furthest upper right might say "Moons Quality Furniture" which makes no sense at all but we've both been drinking.

Maybe not so silly - IIRC there was a shop in Plymouth called Moons.. Top of New George Street.

[EDIT] That address of course was 1950/60s, post reconstruction.

[EDIT AGAIN] Found http://www.plymouthdata.info/Business%20Houses-Moon.htm. Moons Fine Pianofortes?

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Maybe not so silly - IIRC there was a shop in Plymouth called Moons.. Top of New George Street.

[EDIT AGAIN] Found http://www.plymouthdata.info/Business%20Houses-Moon.htm. Moons Fine Pianofortes?

That's a great find John.Thanks.A good start.

• RMweb Premium

Moons was, I am sure, a Music Shop. However I could be completely wrong as the last time I was in there would have been about 1962 ish.

By the way, have I missed something in that is this building under scrutiny actually Brent?     Yes I know I could check but my beak is full of weed and not that sort of weed either.and I'm too lazy to check back....

Stationmaster, are you having to trek back to civilisation on snow shoes, with a sled thingy and could be going outside and may be some time?

Finally, that CAD work by that Rhino is just so good ...... just amazing quality.

P

• RMweb Gold

By the way, have I missed something in that is this building under scrutiny actually Brent?    

Finally, that CAD work by that Rhino is just so good ...... just amazing quality.

P

Keep up at the back and yes on both accounts.

• RMweb Gold

Moons was, I am sure, a Music Shop. However I could be completely wrong as the last time I was in there would have been about 1962 ish.

By the way, have I missed something in that is this building under scrutiny actually Brent?     Yes I know I could check but my beak is full of weed and not that sort of weed either.and I'm too lazy to check back....

Stationmaster, are you having to trek back to civilisation on snow shoes, with a sled thingy and could be going outside and may be some time?

P

Moons sold records and musical instruments in the early 1960s, comp+lete with those little booths where you could go to here a record played before buying it (or not buying it) - information courtesy Mrs Stationmaster.

We were back into normal shoes for our jaunts ashore yesterday - first day we hadn't needed snow boots in almost a week.  Tekking back is easy - the ship is doing it for us ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Moons sold records and musical instruments in the early 1960s, comp+lete with those little booths where you could go to here a record played before buying it (or not buying it) - information courtesy Mrs Stationmaster.

We were back into normal shoes for our jaunts ashore yesterday - first day we hadn't needed snow boots in almost a week.  Tekking back is easy - the ship is doing it for us ;)

My dear late dad used to buy his reeds for his sax and clarinet in Moons (I think). He used to buy the Melody Maker but gave it up when it started to get too trendy around 1963........

I bought quite a few 'records' in Moons(Rubber Soul era so I must have been in there later than 1962....) and used those booths; wouldn't it be spooky if Mrs Stationmaster was in there about that time too. She would have been a babe in arms then of course :secret:

P

• Like 1

The upper right poster is almost certainly an advert for Moons Music Store in Plymouth. Can't find the advert itself, but did find an old paper record bag used by Moons: 

post-13158-0-47533900-1396694976.jpg

The style of 'Moons' against the backdrop of a record circle compares well with the style of the station advert.

Added the Venos advert to the drawing.

Edited by Trains&armour
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I may well be wrong, but just a suggestion, is the picture of a bottle against a sunburst background one of Lea & Perrin's sauces, and not a drink?

I can't find an exact match, but just a possibility?

I may well be wrong, but just a suggestion, is the picture of a bottle against a sunburst background one of Lea & Perrin's sauces, and not a drink?

I can't find an exact match, but just a possibility?

Even though Lea and Perrins had a circular shape on their label for some time I don't think it was as prominent as that illustrated. I, too, odd a search when you mentioned it.

I've also tried Corona, R Whites, Vimto, colas, without success. Brasso, which does feature a starburst but only on the can from the stuff I can find.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've found a variation on the Keatings Kills poster,left top by the ladies lobby.Part of the soap,starch and polish products range that kill bugs and beetles.

post-126-0-49082100-1396697365.jpg

The one next to the recently found Venos is advertising something in Torquay.Circus perhaps.

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Mazawattee?

Not sure it's that one.With Sierd's permission I might put this part of the thread in the general forum where more members can see it.