RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

and a Plough van scratch built.                                           

Someone makes a plough TOAD kit already - there's one down in the garage, but I'm settled up here now................

Pretty sure it's Blacksmith and it's one of their recently "improved" kits.

It's Falcon brassworks -  sorry I was too settled last night to make the trip out to the garage/workshop.

Edited by M.I.B

• RMweb Gold

Yes it was the C110 = GWR code P22, it didn't look one of their better kits (see their web page) the chap keep saying it will be ready soon it must be 5 years now, I will buy one to see if it can be back dated to a P6 all it will need I think is Dean pattern brakes If can be done a small rake of them will be purchased and a Plough van scratch built.                                           

Does anyone know if this is the same pattern of ballast hopper that was used in the Forest of Dean in BR days, please?

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know if this is the same pattern of ballast hopper that was used in the Forest of Dean in BR days, please?

I can't say definitely Cap'n but as they were on WR strength in the BR era I would say it's almost a certainty that they did.  Dogfish were however far more common in my experience on mainline relaying jobs by the 1970s but the ballast tended not to come from the Forest for all the mainline work.

Yes it was the C110 = GWR code P22, it didn't look one of their better kits (see their web page) the chap keep saying it will be ready soon it must be 5 years now, I will buy one to see if it can be back dated to a P6 all it will need I think is Dean pattern brakes If can be done a small rake of them will be purchased and a Plough van scratch built.                                           

I'm also waiting for one to backdate to a P6.  But there is more to it than the brake gear.  I recently built a plough from a Falcon Brassworks kit and it went together quite well and I recommend it.

• Like 1

Hi Mike

I know there are several issues with doing this back dating like brakes and axle box covers(to be done on a friends craft cutter) at first glance, I not fussed about any minor detail not being absolutely spot on have you a list of major alterations ?, if it's an easy conversion to getting a reasonable replica I will build several if not the kit will be finished as per the instrutions and give to the SiL then I'll re-think my ballast train. 

The Falcon kits are nice but I just can't manage them now with my dicky thumbs unless I can find a friendly modeller to put it together for me.

"The Falcon kits are nice"

Wow! Falcon and nice in the same sentence! Refreshing!

Regards,

Stefan

• RMweb Premium

"The Falcon kits are nice"

Wow! Falcon and nice in the same sentence! Refreshing!

The new owners are working their way through the range and doing a great job of improving them.  The two recent purchases I made are extremely satisfactory.

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 2

Could you do something with the Parkside Dundas Grampus. Although early BR, they look remarkably like a GWR P19. I will no doubt be shot down in flames or told to wash my mouth out!

John

I was thinking of going down this route for ballast wagons until I discovered that Simon at Slimrails is still supplying the 1945 built 20T P23 (kit ref RC443) which goes together very nicely and saves the faff of altering the ends. No connection etc...

As I read it (could be wrong) substitute the slotted link Morton brake gear for DC and you would get the slightly earlier ie 1937 built P17.

Ken...

• RMweb Gold

You really didn't think I'd go a whole weekend without posting did you.One of the advantages of having three women in the house is the constant supply of stock boxes commonly known as shoe boxes.It's the time of the year when stock gets put away for the winter.Seen here are my cattle vans..

post-126-0-25269200-1416145508_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-59365200-1416145674_thumb.jpg

Seen in action anon.

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 3

Just out interest Robin why do you pack your stock away in winter. I must say though that shoe boxes do look ideal for the job. Unfortunately I only have one female in the house and she isn't too interested in buying loads of shoes.

I don't consider that unfortunate :)

• RMweb Gold

This drawing suggests screw-couplings when new:-

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/gwrvans/h51cdfbf2#h51cdfbf2

You could compromise and put Instanters on; these were originally a GWR idea, I believe.

The age of the fitted W5 cattle wagons would indeed mean they were fitted with screw couplings when new but they might well have acquired Instanters at a later date being ordinary vacuum fitted vehicles.

Edited by The Stationmaster

You really didn't think I'd go a whole weekend without posting did you.One of the advantages of having three women in the house is the constant supply of stock boxes commonly known as shoe boxes.

ANTB expansion plans thwarted as ANTB competes with shoe collection for space in the garage.

post-9751-0-42237800-1416159484.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget to 'dust' them with a good waft of 'lime' around the bottoms (no sniggering please) of the sides and ends area as well.

P

Not in my time period as lime washing was abolished much earlier than 1947. Edited by gwrrob