A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to put a bit of a dampener on this otherwise jolly 'you'll never guess which GW loco has been announced at Warley in the last 5 minutes fest', but whilst I was busy not being at Warley this morning, I had occasion to go into the village to post some letters, and took a look at the site of the former signal box. Here are some photos of the sad and desolate scene:

attachicon.gifIMG_4710.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4711.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4712.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4715.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4716.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4718.JPG

At least the old London-end up platform retaining wall is still there:

attachicon.gifIMG_4709.JPG

Thanks for taking those photos Tim.I'm sure the local parish council would be proud. :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

Well this week I received my Comet coaches from the sale of the late Geoff Brewin's estate.These will form the M set I need and will run with the C54 I built earlier in the year.That still needs painting and the three newcomers are in blood and custard.They do look fabulous together.I will be changing the livery at some point but I'm going to enjoy them as they come for now.

I can only give high praise to the builder,Alan Buckenham I believe for outstanding work here and hopefully I can do the rake justice on here.

W4927 [wrong running number] D95 Corridor brake third.

post-126-0-89730700-1416668943_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-28641500-1416668964_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-29335900-1416668984_thumb.jpg

More anon.

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Somehow those blood and custards look rather good in your surroundings. Could this be the 1957 era being covered?

P

A good question Phil but my heart tells me I need the rake in choc/ cream.I might be wrong but weren't coaches in maroon by '57 anyway. Where's Chris F when you need him.

Nice coach pics Robin and as for the real Brent, when did the real Signal Cabin go? I used to go there in about 87 - 88 ish, I cant remember if it was still there then or not.

Edited by Andrew P

Attention - real Brent update...

It is with considerable regret that I have to tell you that the real Brent signal box is now virtually no more - these were the dreadful scenes yesterday afternoon:

attachicon.gifDSC04627.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC04630.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC04633.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC04635.JPG

I am surprised it was that recent, I hope Bachmann or Hornby got some details of it before it went, it would make a nice model.

• RMweb Gold

I am surprised it was that recent, I hope Bachmann or Hornby got some details of it before it went, it would make a nice model.

Pretty much a standard GWR Type 5 box, Andy, working examples still exist at Lostwithiel (listed) and St Erth (not listed) for starters.

It had been a PW cabin from 1973 to 1994, and then a gently crumbling ruin until last week...

• RMweb Gold

And now a Railmotor too. 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/92766-news-from-warley-2014/?p=1670313

Looks like I spoke too soon about saving my money. Kernow haven't got the details up on their website yet as I write this, but it must be possible to modify one of these to Edwardian days. Yipee :-)

No need to modify anything all being well K2305, No.67 in lined brown & cream should be just right - unless you fancy one in plain brown as well.

N.B.  The announcncement says No.61 and the photo in the announcement is of No.61 - apologies as i was looking at the original photos which also included No.67 in teh same livery as No.61.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

No need to modify anything all being well K2305, No.67 in lined brown & cream should be just right - unless you fancy one in plain brown as well.

That's what I'm hoping now. As far as I can see, No 61 was one of the O diagrams (almost identical to diagram R I understand, not sure how they differed actually) which was made in 1906. It would look superb if they really intend to do it with the entwined GWR letters.

I wonder if no 85, billed as crimson, is then intended to be in the 1912 lined lake livery. If so, another one hard to resist.

DJM Dave will be checking up on the livery details from Kernow: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/92927-kernow-gwr-steam-rail-motor/

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 1

Somehow those blood and custards look rather good in your surroundings. Could this be the 1957 era being covered?

P

Those coaches and City of Truro covering an Exeter to Plymouth local in 1957 would good. Like this:

post-9751-0-31533800-1416706010.jpg

Right number of coaches and livery, but wrong location (Sarfhampton) and some funny loco at the other end.

Anorak mode on:

P.s Rob are you sure about the coach running numbers, as unless I'm misreading the numbers, W4927W is fine for D95 (1927 build), but the other two may be wrong - W4582W was a Centenary Third (Comet W71) (and pictured in Russell), and W6607W was a 1936 Collett Composite (Comet W49).

Anorak removed...

• RMweb Premium

Cary, Rob did mention the numbers but you are correct. It is the case that some of the coaches in the collection had 'interesting identification'. I don't think Geoff did them and he didn't care anyway as long as they looked the part. Bit of a mystery really....even I noticed, but that was on Midland ones that I was checking, then I started checking them all.....I must get a better life. I shall have to see if my OCD can live with my mystery numbered ones. :mail:

Phil 

Edited by Mallard60022

Those coaches and City of Truro covering an Exeter to Plymouth local in 1957 would good. Like this:

attachicon.gifcot ebay photo.jpg

Right number of coaches and livery, but wrong location (Sarfhampton) and some funny loco at the other end.

Anorak mode on:

P.s Rob are you sure about the coach running numbers,

Rob voiced similar concerns to me in a PM.  I reckon someone just picked any old number off a Modelmaster sheet.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Um, City of Truro. 

The Westward Television Exhibition Train must have gone through Seaton Junction I'm sure. 

I actually saw it at North Road but really have no idea about its other travels.

The coaches for this would be interesting builds.

Anyhow Rob, you do not need an excuse. How can we convince you that 1957 was a very interesting year and then, of course, there was 1967.........or maybe not?

Have a lovely day at Warley and please record the number of;

stench encounters;

bag bashes;

flexi track pokes;

groin thumps (from buggy);

loud and inappropriate comments about layouts/food/other people/life/ the universe/builders/duplication of product/cost of rolling stock/pathetic smoke effects from 4mm loco's/RMWeb/ Andy Y's hairstyle. I need a laugh so report on return home please and remember, smuggling kit into the shed is easier after dark.

Sincerely, 

Mad duck of North Notts.

Edited by Mallard60022