RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Rob, it was a booked working on the Ilfracombe line - so if you renamed part of your railway empire for a photoshoot you could be spot on.

That's a no from you then Mike.

• RMweb Gold

That's a no from you then Mike.

No, not a 'no' - just needs a bit of renaming round towards Tigley I think.  The road knowledge workings between Exeter and Plymouth were far simpler affairs as they were mainly (all?) on local(ish) trains so were light loads and didn't need double heading - the Western and Southern engines simply worked the other Railway's/Region's trains.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

At this time last year we were on page 80 and tonight the thread has reached page 338.

This year has been fabulous railway wise with my 50th birthday treat on Goliath, meeting several contributors to this thread at various shows including RMweb live.Going behind Bleakhouse Road with CK was a treat.Getting that new backscene was superb as well as the famous or is it infamous vist from Spams to run his stock.A Marvellous year.

Thanks to all the regulars, casual visitors and followers of my humble thread ,home and overseas.

I wish you all a happy new year ! A glass of apple juice as a toast. To 2015.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Captain The Mrs Kernow and I would like to take this opportunity, as I prepare my final round of cheese and pickle sandwiches of the year, to most cordially wish all you amiable folk on this thread a most Peaceful and Happy New Year.

The timing of the first sausage of 2015 has not yet been finalised, it's a case of everything to play for.

• RMweb Gold

Captain The Mrs Kernow and I would like to take this opportunity, as I prepare my final round of cheese and pickle sandwiches of the year, to most cordially wish all you amiable folk on this thread a most Peaceful and Happy New Year.

The timing of the first sausage of 2015 has not yet been finalised, it's a case of everything to play for.

No sausages consumed but a slice of a very nice pork pie went down very well and I'll be going back for more.Andsome as they say in Devon.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

No sausages consumed but a slice of a very nice pork pie went down very well and I'll be going back for more.Andsome as they say in Devon.

Watch out for the possible resurgence of the pork pie in 2015, the sausage may have acquired a new rival...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I wish you all a happy new year ! A glass of apple juice as a toast. To 2015.

I've got a nice 2004 late harvest Tokai on the go already, so a glass is raised to all of the ANTB regulars and to our (very patient host) Robin.

• Like 2

A couple of questions re 1361s and Brent.  Were they overhauled at Newton Abbot or Swindon?

The short answer is both. The 1361's were regular visitors to Newton Abbot Factory, with all five class members passing through for attention over the years. 1362, 1364 and 1365 were allocated to Newton at various dates and as such were shopped there the most. For 'Heavy General' works visits most loco's were summoned to Swindon, though Newton Factory was tasked with the major overhaul of such small tanks (especially pre-war).

I suspect they were transferred for works visits as part of a freight consist (Plymouth to Newton) but would probably have needed the rods removing for the trek up to Wiltshire.

Regards and a Happy New Year to all,

Andy.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

A very pleasant selection of cheeses washed down with copious amounts of Woodfordes Bure Gold bitter. To be followed by Jools Holland s hootenanny.

Happy new year Rob and all here who follow him.

I hope to have some trains running myself in 2015, if I can get anywhere near the quality of modelling and banter we get on here I'll be well happy.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

{ Are things so terrible we all recoil in horror? It is not because of an outbreak of Southern stock I hope....quote]

That would go down as well as your pork pie with stilton top in some quarters.

• RMweb Gold

Happy New Year everyone, Mrs Stationmaster started the year with a proper job breakfast for the family (I wonder if we'll get another one this year?) and will no doubt continue occasional pasty production in order to make the rest of you lot jealous.  In the meanwhile let's hope (well some of us hope) that no trains from the north side of Dartmoor will get lost round the south side and that Swindon's finest will continue to remain supreme to the delight of the Finching gals and other residents of Brent. :jester:

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thinking of joining the Southern Email Group to see if it's got more GWR coverage than ANTB recently.

I seem to recall a fair amount of GWR discussion on SEmG when considering lines in Devon and Cornwall.

If Gerald would like to call around personally, he can discuss it with Jasper the dog!

Last night it was reported at my son's house that the dogs were lying on the sofa watching the television and the rabbit was lying on top of one of the dogs, also watching the television.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I seem to recall a fair amount of GWR discussion on SEmG when considering lines in Devon and Cornwall.

Peter Grays albums are full of colour shots of both railways down there.

As Jasper is a Border Collie / Springer Spaniel cross, the gun dog / sheep hearding instinct cuts in very quickly. All wild rabbits are vigorously pursued, as are pheasants!!!

The one the rabbit was lying on is a lurcher. Their other dog is a springer/collie cross.

I am very surprised how they associate.

• Like 2