Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

When I was modelling 'Bickmarsh Hall', someone pointed out the 'L' shaped handrail I had fitted should have been two separate handles. They were right of course...

attachicon.gifWEB two handrails.jpg

Sorry - I did have pedantic mode off yesterday and didn't put enough detail in my reply to "bound" the handrails issue.

I was of course referring to late non modified halls such as 6944 which has just rolled into my workshop, hence why I knew it was an L and not a single or 2 singles.

Modified Halls do indeed run 2 singles in an L shape.

So three types of handrail on a class - which LNER fans say that Swindon's finest all look the same?????

Yep, we covered that a while back; I have a Hall that someone built with Modified Hall 'L' shaped handrails.

Confusion probably my fault because I tend to regard the Mods as a different class and they are beyond my timeframe so not really of any interest.

• RMweb Premium

Confusion probably my fault because I tend to regard the Mods as a different class and they are beyond my timeframe so not really of any interest.

Cue Lesley Ash and Paul Weller photos........................................

"This is The Modern World..........."     "Wish I could be like David Watts.........."

and most poigniantly........

"Hope I die before I get old.................."

Yes, in my world there are no Halls beyond 5950.  Likewise no Granges, Dukedogs, Manors, or, Sunshine stock.  I have never heard of Hawksworth.  "Western Region" is a concept without meaning, rather like "BCK", "Diesel Hydraulic" or any other modern usage. "British Railways" is a term that refers to the railways of Britain.  "British Rail" is as nastily truncated as the amputated system it describes, but it is a term that I have never come across. 

Can't think of anything I'm missing out on that I would bother about, and, on the bonus side, there is no Blitz, no Beaching, no Blair.

• Like 1

Yes, in my world there are no Halls beyond 5950.  Likewise no Granges, Dukedogs, Manors, or, Sunshine stock.  I have never heard of Hawksworth.  "Western Region" is a concept without meaning, rather like "BCK", "Diesel Hydraulic" or any other modern usage. "British Railways" is a term that refers to the railways of Britain.  "British Rail" is as nastily truncated as the amputated system it describes, but it is a term that I have never come across. 

Can't think of anything I'm missing out on that I would bother about, and, on the bonus side, there is no Blitz, no Beaching, no Blair.

Rhuddlan Castle and Brecon Castle showing up Tregeena Castle and showing strangle northern people with Jeremy Kyle chimneys and unnecessarily heavy tenders what Swindon did best.

Oakhill by Darlington and Aberdeen

(Just in case I set of a bout of shandy drinking comments)

BritRail was a product of the 'silly seventies' when everything grand was to be swept aside for modernity, hence not so much colour unless you liked blue.  Now we have come full circle where 'corporate symbols' are changing back to livery colours hopefully for a less garish appearance.  Pity there's nowhere these days to add a bit of brass to shine!

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

The charm of diptheria, smallpox, ricketts and children up chimneys.............

Yes, so much better now that we have AIDS, bird 'flu, and Ebola.  Not to mention the Banks, UKIP and those occasional disturbers of world peace such as international terrorism, ISIS, North Korea, and Tony Blair. Really glad we had to go through a further world war complete with Holocaust and Atom Bomb just to get there.

All eras would seem to have their pros and cons.  Ones with an extensive railway network run with steam and a certain measure of pride are simply more interesting than those bereft of those blessings.

I'm thankful of the progress we've made since the 1930s in our social attitudes.  Thankful of the progress that we've made in that regard since the '70s and '80s, since yesterday, for that matter. Doesn't mean I want to model a load of diseasels or electrics that basically look like toasters on wheels conveying Scruffy Moderns from one CCTV surveyed, Health & Safety approved, soulless "station stop" to another.  

• Like 1

Would the total lack of colour indicate some sort of tax official?

No it's a man in a grey suit who has come for a interview.

Isn't it a T1000 model Terminator in the process of morphing into the form of Dr Richard Beeching for an evil, future plan? Edited by Nick Gough
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oi. Good morning. I think we are getting a bit 'political' here. Don't want that when I get up, despite Edwardian being realistic about how sh*t the human race can be to fellow members of that species. I for one woulde really appreciate it if things were kept to sensible chat about the layout, interesting facts about the railways we love and complete, barking sections about Rhinos with duck houses in Castle grounds and historic fantasy. The news is in our face every so**ing second; let's please not go there.

Pah!

Phil

P.S.post-2326-0-59776600-1440397418.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Whatever one thinks of the modern world  (and I am beginning to wonder if the Ostrich had the right idea sticking its head in the sand)  I would argue the operational aspects of the railways in 1947 are much more interesting than those in 1997.

Don

I would argue the operational aspects of the railways in 1947 are much more interesting than those in 1997.

I doubt you would need to argue it Don. 1947 was better than any succeeding year although the rot was like the dew......We didn't really see it coming until it was all around us.

I was six years old when Nationalisation took place but of course no one bothered to tell us kids, so by the time i found my way to the nearest railway station in Oldham in 1949, the locos still carried the usual LMS or LNER. I remember this acutely because of a shiny Lanky 0-6-0 saddle tank that staggered out of Central tunnel with BRITISH RAILWAYS emblazoned across its tanks, the first time I had seen such insignia.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

A belated good morning gents. This was my last journey to and from the Cambrian coast line and our train is winding down the check-railed curves towards Carnarvon behind a BR Standard Class 4. This LNWR line to Afon Wen closed a few months afterwards. I think the Welsh Highland railway uses this trackbed to Dinas. The camber is pretty obvious......

post-6680-0-13481700-1440408950_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 8

Oi. Good morning. I think we are getting a bit 'political' here. Don't want that when I get up, despite Edwardian being realistic about how sh*t the human race can be to fellow members of that species. I for one woulde really appreciate it if things were kept to sensible chat about the layout, interesting facts about the railways we love and complete, barking sections about Rhinos with duck houses in Castle grounds and historic fantasy. The news is in our face every so**ing second; let's please not go there.

Pah!

Phil

P.S.attachicon.gifimages (25).jpg

In amongst the serious(ish) modelling entries and sound advice, it's the sheer lunacy of some of the posts on this thread that keep me coming back for more.

The Duck is spot on. Keep it light!

Glenn from 'darn saaf'

Reality bites. Therefore, I tend to avoid it.  Some interesting issues have been touched on, though.

Should model railways reflect contemporary events, however unpalatable?  I remember as a child being mildly shocked by Graffiti in one of Jack Nelson's scenes that read "Hang the Kaiser".

I have wanted to model the GW between the wars since about age 5.  By the time I was, say, 11 or 12, I was worrying about the effects of economic Depression and the Abyssinian Crisis upon my little plastic people.

Years later I read a newspaper from the period that reported on the suicide of the Port Reeve of Ashburton, the engine driver on the branch. I know that the branch was threatened with closure around this time, and, though I don't know so, this may have been part of why this poor man hanged himself in one of the most modelled engine sheds on the Great Western.

Since then, along with the good stuff (wife, kids, dogs), has been all manner of bad stuff.  Reality is over rated.  Anyone who sneers at escapism has been fortunate in avoiding much of what Reality can mean.  I'm for escapism.

So, it's not just summer 1935, it's summer in the South Hams viewed with all the innocent excitement of a holidaying child.

• RMweb Gold

it's the sheer lunacy of some of the posts on this thread that keep me coming back for more.

Are you talking about my weathering again Glenn.We all can't be as good as you. ;)