RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

I've never seen a whole one before, only a rusting hulk at Haworth many years ago. Anything Bulleid does nothing for me, but I must admit this box had a lot more appeal than the rebuilds I was used to seeing in North Wales. Taken on the Corwen extension earlier this year.

I know Bulleid's aren't to everyone's taste, but thank you Coach for liking the erratically wonderful Spam Can original rather than the BR Standardised/sanitised version.

Glenn - hopelessly biased of Portsmouth

• Like 2

What were 'they' doing in North Wales Larry?

O.V. Bulleid.

Gaw'd knows! When north Wales was passed for mainline steam in 1989, we were 'blessed' with rebuilt Bulleids initially. InterCity kindly treated me to a free ticket for assisting publicity, but instead I shot off up the Conwy Valley to film Class 31's on the Derby-Llandudno-Ffestiniog's. I'm not keen on diesels either, so that says it all ha ha...

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The good morning game with something to jog the memory.

attachicon.gifscangirls 111.jpg

You all know where this is but the loco is rarely seen nowadays. Where is it?

Brian.

I'd have a tenner on Cranmore but it's an awful long time since I was last there (well about 40 years - is that a long time?).

Some more signalboxes for today's offering, and not just 40 years ago as I took these back in 1963 as things were changing in the Thames Valley although it is of course now all changing again.  Top one is the track diagram in the new, and not yet in operation, Maidenhead 'box (which only lasted about 10 years and the structure then moved on to pastures new).  Bottom left is Maidenhead Middle 'box which was rather unusual in GWR terms as it didn't control all the lines which passed it as it had nothing to do with the Main Lines - in fact it controlled roughly the area seen on the diagram for the new 'box.  And finally at bottom right is Maidenhead West - very similar to the Middle 'box and much the same vintage.  It was impossible to photograph the East 'box apart from an end view as it was located between the Relief and Main Lines to the east of the station and was the 'odd one out' as it was a wholly timber structure.

post-6859-0-39998000-1442586196_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Gaw'd knows! When north Wales was passed for mainline steam in 1989, we were 'blessed' with rebuilt Bulleids initially. InterCity kindly treated me to a free ticket for assisting publicity, but instead I shot off up the Conwy Valley to film Class 31's on the Derby-Llandudno-Ffestiniog's. I'm not keen on diesels either, so that says it all ha ha...

Oh 1989. I thought you meant back in the days of yore and when you wus just a wee lad!

Q

• RMweb Premium

I'd have a tenner on Cranmore but it's an awful long time since I was last there (well about 40 years - is that a long time?).

Some more signalboxes for today's offering, and not just 40 years ago as I took these back in 1963 as things were changing in the Thames Valley although it is of course now all changing again.  Top one is the track diagram in the new, and not yet in operation, Maidenhead 'box (which only lasted about 10 years and the structure then moved on to pastures new).  Bottom left is Maidenhead Middle 'box which was rather unusual in GWR terms as it didn't control all the lines which passed it as it had nothing to do with the Main Lines - in fact it controlled roughly the area seen on the diagram for the new 'box.  And finally at bottom right is Maidenhead West - very similar to the Middle 'box and much the same vintage.  It was impossible to photograph the East 'box apart from an end view as it was located between the Relief and Main Lines to the east of the station and was the 'odd one out' as it was a wholly timber structure.

attachicon.gifMaidenhead Boxes Decr 1963.jpg

Mike you are correct it is Cranmore, a few years ago now.

Like the ' box photos.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

How was the food? Been rather tempted by this for a while

I was rather worried about the wine, its title ...............................considering what dogs do at lamp posts and trees; sort of pointing their ****y and producing a liquid. Presumably the boc.., boq..., bok..., bucket did not resemble dog's *****?

Quackers. 

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if one can discuss Rugby on ANTB.........but I thought England 35 Fiji 11 was a great result. Sure it was a bit twitchy at times but 24 points difference and a bonus point is a pretty good start. One down Six to go!

• RMweb Premium

Not sure if one can discuss Rugby on ANTB.........but I thought England 35 Fiji 11 was a great result. Sure it was a bit twitchy at times but 24 points difference and a bonus point is a pretty good start. One down Six to go!

John, as it happens I've already watched the game (recorded - didn't fancy getting up at 0500 on a Saturday) but spare a thought for those who might not.

• RMweb Gold

Oops......sorry nothing annoys me more when that happens to me......I get a bit confused by time zones in Oz.......plus most of my internet Oz mates are in Adelaide.....they don't seem to recognize Rugby

Cheers

John

• RMweb Gold

Any more pictures of those bullybeef engines and this 'King' could get very cross

post-6859-0-06068000-1442658448.jpg

PS And now something for those with an interest in Plymouth.   Mrs Stationmaster returned from  a short holiday in Plymuff yesterday bearing a gift for moi - a copy of a 2013 published volume from Pen & ink Publishing entitled 'Backtracking Around Friary, Laira and The Plym' being basically a photo album almost entirely in colour with 'then & now' views in the above area and it extends its coverage to the east end of North Road station.  Some of the photo reproduction is a bit on the 'muddy' side but a lot of it is pretty good with very good colour rendition and the captions seem good too.

'Then' is rather flexible as it varies from views at Laira and Friary sheds in steam days (all in colour!) to 'blue period' diesels at such places as Tavvy Jcn or on a weedkiller train down to Friary yard and many places (e.g friary station) are not really covered in the steam.  There is apparently a second volume to come covering the west side of the city which presumably will commence at teh west end of North Road although I don't know how far west it will go.

Some of the images in the book can be found at this website - overprinted  alas

http://classictractionimages.weebly.com

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

That want I though, it's not the track as the wheel bearings are in line maybe it's a bit of bad trimming with the coal it looks well loaded.

That's quite a 'tip' isn't it. Good job you noticed.

Notice in the pic of the King in the Cross there is smoke emerging from the left cylinder cover where it has scraped against all the platform edges on the main line between wherever it started and the Cross. Not including those platform edges at stations where there were fast through, not platform tracks (e.g. Donny)

I.K.B.

Edited by Mallard60022