A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Phil. 

We've got all the castles on the list, including Leeds, plus Canterbury Cathedral.  Also planning on the RHD and maybe the KESR. We will be using the trains too, where we can.

Hadn't heard about the Atom Bomb factory, will seek more info. Walking and bird watching..... depends on the boss.

As for sleepy Cornwall... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-37016913

I lied, it is a Power Station, possibly shut? Interesting industrial landscape though and lots of Gulls and sea birds locally.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Phil. 

We've got all the castles on the list, including Leeds, plus Canterbury Cathedral.  Also planning on the RHD and maybe the KESR. We will be using the trains too, where we can.

Hadn't heard about the Atom Bomb factory, will seek more info. Walking and bird watching..... depends on the boss.

As for sleepy Cornwall... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-37016913

If you are visiting the South coast you could also squeeze in a visit to Rye, especially if you are an E.S. Benson fan. Lovely cobbled streets, small fishing harbour and the ancient Mermaid Inn for lunch.

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifimage.pngattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Stu, here's two sixties era tank cars, the "clean" one would be able to take diesel, the other one, a dreadful testimony to the delights of moving 3500", for the heavy fuel oil. There are heater tubes sticking out of the end at the bottom I remember a train of these used to go down to Exeter, but don't know if they went further west.

Edit: the red sole bars on the first tanker show it started off on the more volatile petrol traffic, but I think by the time this photo was done it was on diesel, much less trouble.

The Class B black tank car is a bitumen car - hence the heating tubes (great fun watching them in use with flames being shot through them :O ).  The Exeter City Basin traffic that passed in these cars was bitumen.

Class A cars were used for gas oil for BR depots as well as being used for petrol  - the flow from Fawley to Tiverton Jcn was petrol with, on occasion, the bitumen cars for City Basin attached.

• RMweb Gold

If you are visiting the South coast you could also squeeze in a visit to Rye, especially if you are an E.S. Benson fan. Lovely cobbled streets, small fishing harbour and the ancient Mermaid Inn for lunch.

Beware of the crusty old #hit who owns the Mermaid he acts like he's lord muck I found a push bike leaning against my car so I removed it to a big waste bin it turned out to owned by one of his crony's he wasn't best pleased but he didn't want to argue he was too p1ssed.

BTW the food was good.  :laugh:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Beware of the crusty old #hit who owns the Mermaid he acts like he's lord muck I found a push bike leaning against my car so I removed it to a big waste bin it turned out to owned by one of his crony's he wasn't best pleased but he didn't want to argue he was too p1ssed.

BTW the food was good.  :laugh:

If you go in there dressed as a Pirate you get a free drink.

Phart

I'm putting it on the rolling road first, photos anon.

You've got a new 45XX being sent up for another load .......

post-20303-0-56570000-1470756895_thumb.jpeg

Yours

G.Durrell

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Like I said previously,this is the one I'd order but this actual model is Sierd's.A great service from Model Rail/Kernow and what a superb model.I've done a full shoot as an exclusive to here as you're such loyal chaps.

post-126-0-35576400-1470759852_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-92265000-1470759906_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-12151100-1470759923_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

What was the process Rob, was there an email or something prior to dispatch? I have an SR black one on order and no news yet

Last week Kernow sent an e-mail stating this variant was due to arrive and asked me to update my card details. Seems the card I ordered it with in Jan. 2013 was no longer valid...

On Monday they sent an e-mail informing me that the USA tank had been dispatched. And here it is! Great service from Model rail-Kernow.

Edited by Trains&armour
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

1968, now that was a really good year.... Got me going again. First visit to the 'Dart Valley Railway' following graduation- B&B at The Trout at Staverton, but wait- the year is 1947- what's overpaid oversexed and over here..........?