RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Rumour has it the Finchings have been seen practising their 'Jitterbugging'in the back garden and listening to Glenn Miller and his orchestra. They also recently greeted the vicar in the High street with a loud 'Howdy partner!'before trying to lassoo him.

Their request for chewing tobacco at the newsagents was not well received and they were required to leave Miss Twicenightly's tea rooms after repeatedly shouting Godamn and discharging their service revolvers into the ceiling.

Rob.

Where's the "Oooooh Matron!" button when you need one?

• RMweb Gold

One of those engines that's so ugly it's attractive!  Like very much.  Could never justify one, but like it.

They do look very impressive but they're another model I don't need nor one that I can invent a story to justify - so I shan't be buying - but it looks like Model Rail/Bachmann have done an excellent job and well worth the time it has taken to get here.

They do look very impressive but they're another model I don't need nor one that I can invent a story to justify - so I shan't be buying - but it looks like Model Rail/Bachmann have done an excellent job and well worth the time it has taken to get here.

Yes, currently I am looking at a c.1905 light railway in Norfolk, some GER stuff I can use for that and a planned later, c.1900 GE layout, SECR and LBSC stuff for a projected c.1912-14 layout, LSWR, LNWR and pre-WW1 GW, and, of course, more for the South Devon mainline in 1935 project!

That's quite enough to be getting along with, and anything that I cannot stretch any of the above to include - e.g. Hornby Huntley & Palmer Peckett and this US Ugly Duckling - I am just going to have to ignore!

Given Rob's period, it does not offend on ANTB, and I have enjoyed seeing it in action there.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

After seeing all these excellent pics of the USA dock tank in 1947, in a couple of years we could be seeing a Swindon 1500 class, no domes, lovely valve gear that couldn't possibly offend. Has any RTR manufacturer put it on ther to-do list?

• RMweb Premium

After seeing all these excellent pics of the USA dock tank in 1947, in a couple of years we could be seeing a Swindon 1500 class, no domes, lovely valve gear that couldn't possibly offend. Has any RTR manufacturer put it on ther to-do list?

There were rumours some time ago.

P

In defense (as they spell it over here) as its something to do with the army anyway, good looks are not on the agenda.  Not until the streamliners of the thirties did US locos ever look glamorous (same thing) being rather utilitarian until that time.  Usually all black, pipes and other paraphernalia exposed which was eventually followed up to a point by BR Standard locos at a much later date, to make maintenance easier.  Colored engines (PC. Engines of color) were virtually unknown although some passenger liveries, once you got away from Pullman green, were quite colorful.  Now to find my OED again!

Brian.

• Like 1

Just tried and I must warn you ....do not search 'Big Boys' for pics (of US loco's that is). :scared:

Phil

Don't image search "Mallard" either; just pictures of bl**dy ducks ....

Edited by Edwardian

• RMweb Premium

Don't image search "Mallard" either; just pictures of bl**dy ducks ....

There is no answer to that, however it is also not advisable to look too closely at 'Edwardian' in the personal services section of searchy things. :O

Philth

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Them yankee tanks are an awful ride, any more than a sidings length will shake you to bits, they do however rate slightly above spam cans, my experience of them cannot be put on here as the expletive level would probably give the mods a coronary.

There is no answer to that, however it is also not advisable to look too closely at 'Edwardian' in the personal services section of searchy things. :O

Philth

"Well, unless you're running some special Dirty Mac browser extension (there's a computer pun in there somewhere) I don't see how anything smutty would appear in an image search for 'Edwardian'", added James, somewhat wistfully.

Perhaps I am not viewing the material correctly:

All books can be indecent books

Though recent books are bolder,

For filth (I'm glad to say) is in

The mind of the beholder.

When correctly viewed,

Everything is lewd.

(I could tell you things about Peter Pan,

And the Wizard of Oz, there's a dirty old man!)

• Like 2

It just occurred to me that shouldn't the buffer beam be red?

Brian.

I knew there was some, slight, visual feature that was preventing this otherwise entirely unremarkable locomotive from blending seamlessly with its surroundings!  Duh!