Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

A shame but probably for the best that no MN made it to Plymouth.

Though I have to say that the locomotive exchange trials are the only thing that temps me to temporarily slip my running period into 1948. The sight of an A4 through Brent along with the dyno car is just too tempting...

• RMweb Gold

A shame but probably for the best that no MN made it to Plymouth.

Though I have to say that the locomotive exchange trials are the only thing that temps me to temporarily slip my running period into 1948. The sight of an A4 through Brent along with the dyno car is just too tempting...

• RMweb Gold

Another possibility would be the use of black Stanier 46236 City of Bradford of which I have a photo of pulling GWR coaches including a dymo on a Paddington to Penzance service in May '48.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Strangely LMS locomotives have never done anything for me, whereas the Southern and LNE stock is far more interesting.

Is love to find a working which justifies some LNER coaches through Brent, but think a full brake will be the best I can manage.

Will you stop leading that nice young man astray, you know damn well that he has Swindon-itus.

Btw official SR nomenclature is: BB, not BoB

Actually, I think it is quite accurate, it's what my mate

uses to refer to FS, ie Bucket of Bolts!

• RMweb Premium

Strangely LMS locomotives have never done anything for me, whereas the Southern and LNE stock is far more interesting.

Is love to find a working which justifies some LNER coaches through Brent, but think a full brake will be the best I can manage.

Plenty of excuses for LNER stock through Brent. You have to study photo's very carefully but I have seen at least 1 train pre '48 but I can't remember where. Sorry.

Sure it was a long distance effort from Sheffield or some far flung area.

Philth

• RMweb Gold

There is one working in the working timetable in the down direction labels "north of England" which I guess could be possible, but it's not in the carriage working document (the LMS ones are).

For that matter I couldn't find the return working anywhere.

I'm guessing it could be a summer only working and not yet be running in my October 46- June 47 timetable (there doesn't seem to be a carriage working document available for summer 47....

The other tricky one I have found which isn't in the formation list is a workmans train departing Newton abbot for Plymouth around 5am (stopping at Brent). Again there is no return working in the timetable (and I haven't a clue what would make it up)

• RMweb Premium

"The other tricky one I have found which isn't in the formation list is a workmans train departing Newton abbot for Plymouth around 5am (stopping at Brent). Again there is no return working in the timetable"

Not related to the formation but early morning workmens' trains on main routes probably didn't have a return working as such. They offered a cheap "pre-peak" fare into major employment centres, return journeys being by normal service train. My Dad, a civil servant, used to use them in the early 50s (although he could have used a later train and still got in on time) as he was fairly low paid. He came home on a normal evening peak service.

Pete

• RMweb Premium

As this was a daily (well weekday) working through Brent, both up and down, why would the Finchings be horrified? I am getting just a weeny bit #### off with the comments about the LSWR  on here. The Finchings may well be bored out of their brains with seeing the same old GWR loco's day in and day out with an occasional 'surprise' from north of Bristol.

Can we just appreciate Rob's adherence to the prototype.

Thanks

O.V. Bulleid.

The other tricky one I have found which isn't in the formation list is a workmans train departing Newton abbot for Plymouth around 5 am (stopping at Brent). Again there is no return working in the timetable (and I haven't a clue what would make it up)

It varied.  In winter 1956-57 what was then the 5.17 am Newton Abbot - Plymouth was formed of two non-corridor coaches, a second and brake second.  They returned attached to the 4.32 pm Plymouth - Exeter, which was booked for an M set, as far as Newton Abbot.  In winter 1959-60 it was the 5.22 am from Newton Abbot and comprised one non-corridor brake second.  It returned attached to the 7.35 am Plymouth - Newton Abbot, formed of an M set with an additional second for part of the period.  In winter 1961-62 what had become the 5.27 am NA - Plymouth was an M set which returned as the 6.5 pm Plymouth - NA.  All these workings applied on Mondays to Fridays only and of course prior to June 1956 there was no second class but third.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Things......................

C B Collett.

Dear Mr. Collect,

Many thanks for those paintings. Such a pretty Station as well and not a smidge of Concrete to be seen

I have to congratulate you on the variety of designs for your coaches. Most enjoyable trying to sort out LH, RH in the Ladies' chamber etc.

Finally, I really admire your Tenders; such an improvement on the old things, but I am aware that a certain Hawksworth is trying to out design you. I should watch your back.

My latest wheeze is to get my Pacifics rebuilt to last until the early 80s (so they no longer self combust) and whilst doing that I shall make groups of the tenders ever so slightly different so as to really annoy railway enthusiasts and particularly modellers in years to come. My assistant, Mr. C. Tooth is involved in the record keeping for this project but he is sworn to secrecy regarding locomotive and tender details. He is a stout fellow, however he seems to enjoy building miniature locomotives that are not designed to fit together; probably because they are of GWR design, however that is just speculation. 

Finally, would it be possible for you to let me know if Minni Finching is walking out with anyone just now. 

Sincerely,

Oliver.

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold
Has Mr Roper just broken wind or is it his bad back from all that portering? Could it be the sight of one of those new fangled Southern Railway three legged machines that has upset his composure ? Edited by Limpley Stoker

I thought you were having a break.

Ah yes, the break I was planning to have from June is still to come, still finishing off last year's jobs in August!

Seriously though, I will be taking on very little for the next couple of years as I plan to move house.

Glenn

Edited by mattingleycustom

• RMweb Premium

Well, it's been raining all afternoon here in Brent.

The weather was better yesterday afternoon, if still a little breezy, when I was fortunate enough to be invited to visit a friend who was working Ashburton Jct signal box, at the Totnes-end of the South Devon Railway. One of my favourite locomotives was in service, as well:

attachicon.gif20160820_152329.jpg

attachicon.gif20160820_152416.jpg

attachicon.gif20160820_152624.jpg

attachicon.gif20160820_160147.jpg

attachicon.gif20160820_162504.jpg

attachicon.gif20160820_163040.jpg

attachicon.gif20160820_163343.jpg

CK, It's missing the outside cylinders on my model.