RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

OK fellow GWR/WR admirers, I have a serious question (OK, stop howling with laughter).

Being a tight arse wad, I don't really want to buy 4 Comet kits just to supply some dining coaches for an ECS working that may or may not have been diverted through SJish and may or may not have run in my timescale in any case! The coaches would be and H39 + H40 (less essential as I could use a MK1 RF + a SO) and an H25 and H33 (probably more of a 'need'). Any chance I could do 'conversions' using some existing RTR product for the H25 and H33, or is that a complete b#####d to carry out or waste of time. Suggestions (about this, not what I can do with myself) on a napkin please. :declare:

If I had to build and finish 4 full kits that probably would never ever get done and I can't justify paying some other poor ######## to do them for me when SWMBO has not got any shoes to wear. :umbrage:

Ar$e

I'm tarting 3 of the Hornby one's up at the moment using Comet parts so I can at least put some Paddington- Devon/Cornwall express dining trains together, a man/duck of your Caliber (not the non alcoholic booze)

should have no problem cutting a few naff bits off and putting a few quality Comet parts on.  :butcher:

Edited by 81C

St Enodoc, I am. Being of Welsh speaking parents and going to and playing for a rugby school I certainly supported the cherry and whites, indeed for the first 7 years of my life I lived in a cul de sac which backed onto Kingsholm. But I've always played football as well. Saturdays tended to be Rugby in the morning for school and football in the afternoon playing in one of the local leagues. The 1st division team I supported pre Munich and still do is man. Utd. The first big game I saw was Man U v WBA at the hawthorns in the days of Harry Gregg and Albert Quixall et al. At college I also played both football and rugby for the college.

One of my oldest friends proudly recounts the story of his saving a penalty from Albert Quixall - in Fog Lane Park!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Talking of Cornish goodies and I was reminded of this excellent poster that Mikkel posted when receiving a rather nice Warren's Bakery Christmas pudding in a hamper we won in the school raffle.

attachicon.gifMikkel's pudding.jpg

http://simplycornish.com/seasonal-products

I had forgotten about that one. But then it was two years ago, when we were all still young and vigorous.

• RMweb Premium

Phil, it wasn't a B set it was the old Hornby Collet restaurant car. It may now be in the Railroad range.

Ta. However someone mentions B Set as a donor in some post somewhere that I can't remember as it was last night when i looked. Yours looks superbio though.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

My H33 conversion notes are here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/tags/blog/H33/

My empty coaching stick working (142am Plymouth to OOC consists of

RF,RO, RU, RC, full break, BTK

I assume the latter will be to carry the restaurant staff home?

The RC will be the H33 or H26, the RU likely a H15 (as it's the only kit I can find), while initials the RF and RO will be the centenary pair, possibly later replaced with the bow end set.

The hardest bit is working out which type of diner to use, the working timetable often just specified "dining car" and not if it is an unclassified or a composite. I assume more of the latter?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

OK fellow GWR/WR admirers, I have a serious question (OK, stop howling with laughter).

Being a tight arse wad, I don't really want to buy 4 Comet kits just to supply some dining coaches for an ECS working that may or may not have been diverted through SJish and may or may not have run in my timescale in any case! The coaches would be and H39 + H40 (less essential as I could use a MK1 RF + a SO) and an H25 and H33 (probably more of a 'need'). Any chance I could do 'conversions' using some existing RTR product for the H25 and H33, or is that a complete b#####d to carry out or waste of time. Suggestions (about this, not what I can do with myself) on a napkin please. :declare:

If I had to build and finish 4 full kits that probably would never ever get done and I can't justify paying some other poor ######## to do them for me when SWMBO has not got any shoes to wear. :umbrage:

Ar$e

I have a railroad H33 on my back burner. I have sanded the roof to a more agreeable profile and inset the ends and plan now to custom flushglaze the existing body.

I see the refurbished H33 had longitudinal gas tanks but didn't the original diagram have transverse gas tanks ? .

The Hornby paint job matches my new Collett coaches so well I couldn't bear to cover it with brass!

• Like 3

The hardest bit is working out which type of diner to use, the working timetable often just specified "dining car" and not if it is an unclassified or a composite. I assume more of the latter?

I've had a quick look at a CWP more recent than for your chosen period but the same principles would apply.  Most references are just to "Dining Car" but here are some to "Kitchen First" and "Second Dining Saloon".  From this I deduce that if there is one catering vehicle it caters for both classes.  How this was accomplished changed over time as designs of restaurant cars evolved.  As a breed they were long-lived: the last Dreadnought in service was a diner. So, not too many other clues about what ran in a particular train, but remember this - the CWP sets out what should happen and does not always represent what does/did.  Other getout clauses are available!

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The tricky bit I have found is the mention of the unclassified restaurant in the ecs movement, my logic given the lack of dining stock post war is that first class provision would be the priority. And hence an RC would be more likely than an RU, as such I think I will use the composite diner for the majority, maybe with the H15 as a token inclusion for one or two services that contain less first class seats

• RMweb Premium

The tricky bit I have found is the mention of the unclassified restaurant in the ecs movement, my logic given the lack of dining stock post war is that first class provision would be the priority. And hence an RC would be more likely than an RU, as such I think I will use the composite diner for the majority, maybe with the H15 as a token inclusion for one or two services that contain less first class seats

In another thread (Tony Wright's Wright Writes) someone very kindly listed the coach numbers for an ECS working of this type. I spent some time last evening identifying the Diagrams if anyone is interested. I think I am going to need just two conversions for a 5 coach train and maybe I will get away with available RTR if I just use MK1 stock for early 60s.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Today I had a very nice email from scratch builder deluxe David Amais, after he saw the latest BRM.He thought you might like to see his latest creation.DAS was applied to walls and stone was scribed and painted using acrylics.A true craftsman.

post-126-0-95682200-1481732889_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-73238700-1481732911_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-52694400-1481732934_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-79849200-1481732955_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I have a vague memory, I guess in the late fifties early sixties, of travelling on trains with only a 1st class dining car......if you were travelling third class you could still buy your dinner there. In fact if you booked the last sitting you could continue your journey in first class comfort.......this was probably ex LMS Euston-Liverpool Lime St

• RMweb Gold

It's a bit of an odd one as most of the formations have the dining car sandwiched between two composites or a composite and a first, so in my mind logically it would be an RF

But the formations using a dining pair seem to state that, and I haven't seen any GW RF kits which run on their own.

Unless a dining car and a first can be replaced with an RO and an RF pair...

• RMweb Premium

Today I had a very nice email from scratch builder deluxe David Amais, after he saw the latest BRM.He thought you might like to see his latest creation.DAS was applied to walls and stone was scribed and painted using acrylics.A true craftsman.

attachicon.gifHouse1.jpg

attachicon.gifHouse4.jpg

attachicon.gifHouse3.jpg

attachicon.gifHouse2.jpg

The bay window and porch make it for me.