Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Can't put my finger on it, but there's something that just looks so wrong about the 'G W R' insignia. Reminds me of the lettering on some ancient Triang-Hornby so-called 57xx pannier tank.

John C.

Is the font too large, or something odd about the shading? Either way there's definitely something odd about it.

I had a good look at both the Heljan tanks at the yard show last week. If it was about £50 less I'd have bought one, but for circa £120 the quality didn't match the price in my mind.

Much prefer your kit built one Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Built for someone other than gods wonderful railway. So don't count.

Eh?!

Wot?!

Wot??!!

The 16XX is one of the cutest of the cutest cutie pie panniers ever invented. It redefined the concept of cute. It's a cutie little pie, that's what it is! If you want to know what cute looks like, just find a 16XX pannier tank!

The sweetest, cutest little loco that the GWR never owned!

How could you not like a lovely little 16XX pannier tank. They're cute, that's what they are!

Cute!

• RMweb Premium

Morning Robin,

The reviews of the Heljan Pannier have been pretty dire, when compared to modern locos. Are you pleased with it? 

I saw 1370 and their Saddle tank at Guagemaster last weekend - the saddle tank looks very nice.... But at Henley?

Have a good weekend, Neal.

• RMweb Gold

That helps. couldn't put my finger on it before, but the chimney on the smaller engines looks disproportionately tall. Still lovely engines though..... just less so.

It's the outside cylinders that make it look odd I think.  The 1600 doesn't look at all odd to me (although it is bigger than a 1366) and the 1361 with a saddle tank doesn't look odd as there were lots of small saddle tanks with outside cylinders.  But a small pannier with outside cylinders definitely looks a bit strange.  A big pannier with outside cylinders and outside valvegear also looks bit unusual but basically it's just unusual.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning Robin,

The reviews of the Heljan Pannier have been pretty dire, when compared to modern locos. Are you pleased with it? 

I saw 1370 and their Saddle tank at Guagemaster last weekend - the saddle tank looks very nice.... But at Henley?

One thing I do agree with is that it needs clean track ! Like Sierd has said,its the only 1366 in town and despite its faults its a nice little tank.I would struggle to change the number as the cabsides look very well attached and like others have said the GWR initials look too large but this is subjective.Plenty of gubbins in the bags including a bell.The green is still the Hornby shade of poor.

Anyway, where are my clay wagons.....

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning Robin,

I would think the nearest a 1361 got to Henley was probably Uffington (on a railtour) and Swindon on everyday work.  The nearest a 1366 got to Henley was probably Swindon (but then 'Kings' didn't get to Henley either ;) ). 

• RMweb Gold

Very nice, Robin.

These clay wagons were no doubt meant to be worked to St Blazey, from where they would have been picked up by a service running through to Tavistock Jct and beyond. However, the St Blazey-allocated 42XX had failed on shed that morning, so the 1366 was pressed into service to take it through to Plymouth.

On arrival at Tavistock Jct Yard, it was found that due to a major points failure affecting the whole Laira Jct area, no locos could get on or off Laira, or work up from North Road station, and as the only other alternative loco that wasn't trapped was some Southern 2-6-0 thingey, the GWR authorities wisely decided to top the coal and water up in the Yard and for the 1366 to work the train through to Newton Abbot.

That's why it's seen passing Brent in your photos.

It worked back assisting King George V on the Cornish Riviera Express, which on that day terminated at Plympton.

• Like 1

"

Can't put my finger on it, but there's something that just looks so wrong about the 'G W R' insignia.  Reminds me of the lettering on some ancient Triang-Hornby so-called 57xx pannier tank.

John C.

Is the font too large, or something odd about the shading? Either way there's definitely something odd about it.

I had a good look at both the Heljan tanks at the yard show last week. If it was about £50 less I'd have bought one, but for circa £120 the quality didn't match the price in my mind.

Much prefer your kit built one Rob.

It does rather shout out, probably partly due to the tanks being that bit smaller, but mainly, I suspect, down to the necessarily overscale black keyline; this is only 1/8" at 1:1 scale, so works out at 0.04mm in 1:76. There's no shading on the red either which would help knock it back a tad.(& well within the limits of modern printing capabilities I'd have thought - whereas a scale keyline probably isn't). At least they've missed hitting the weld lines, unlike the roundel version.

The letters should be 3mm (9") high across the yellow. The smaller pre-1934 letters are 1.7mm (5") across the yellow with a 0.02mm (1/16") black keyline. Roundels should be 4mm (1') over the black.

One thing that does look wrong is the foot of the 'R' - it's disproportionately long. Here's an 'R' I re-drew in Illustrator from a tracing taken from the 5" transfers on 4073's tender:—

post-26141-0-76428800-1486811770_thumb.png

9400 at STEAM has the only full set of genuine 9" tank transfers I know of, some good shots of it here: https://locoyard.com/2013/12/09/supersized-pannier-tank-9400/

Pete S.

• Like 1