A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

That would explain why, before I started visiting WR locations, 5093 was the only Castle underlined in my first ABC. 😀

Blimey. What a real coincidence that is! Totally bizarre. How many years ago is that eh?

Phil

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Blimey. What a real coincidence that is! Totally bizarre. How many years ago is that eh?

Phil

About 5 or so years back there were a couple of articles in Steam World about spotting on the western in the Exeter area. Turned out it was the day of my first childhood holiday in Cornwall and in my cop book those very same numbers are written in a slightly different order in my 7 year old handwriting. I can only guess I got them at Exeter or Plymouth.

Small world? It’s tiny!

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/08/2023 at 15:42, Dunsignalling said:

I'd guess the Bulleid would have been used on the CRE because whatever worked it from Plymouth to Exeter wasn't allowed up the Southern.

And the fact that what hauled it into St Davids from the west was facing the wrong way to go up the hill to Central and onwards to Sarum etc.

PS I have carried out further research to see if anything was published by the SR about lamping diverted WR trains running via Honiton and the cupboard is bare for the 1960s (and 1930s).  However through trains from the LMR arryinga train number carried standard lamps.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

And the fact that what hauled it into St Davids from the west was facing the wrong way to go up the hill to Central and onwards to Sarum etc.

PS I have carried out further research to see if anything was published by the SR about lamping diverted WR trains running via Honiton and the cupboard is bare for the 1960s (and 1930s).  However through trains from the LMR arryinga train number carried standard lamps.

Much appreciated Mike. Several Trains on diversion were Manchesters. I think even a Glasgow was mentioned but I'm full of Brandy now so maybe totally off.

The SR didn't like WR Engines on their territory west of Salisbury, so they either had them dumped at St. David's if there were spare Engines at 72A, or got rid of them east as soon as they could if there were no real spares.

Anyway, if I choose to run a 1960 diversion at SJ, then I doubt there is anyone alive that would be able to deny it happened unless it's a complete sham, and if they did I wouldn't care.

Phil

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

About 5 or so years back there were a couple of articles in Steam World about spotting on the western in the Exeter area. Turned out it was the day of my first childhood holiday in Cornwall and in my cop book those very same numbers are written in a slightly different order in my 7 year old handwriting. I can only guess I got them at Exeter or Plymouth.

Small world? It’s tiny!

Think I might have that volume. Great memories. The Exeter parts were quite useful.

Phik

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

TBH, Route discs carried between Salisbury and Exeter were largely academic. Almost everything carried the standard "top and bottom centre" London-Plymouth code other than the Brighton-Plymouth, which (IIRC) carried right and left middle discs (usually denoting "North Cornwall") *EDIT* east of Exeter Central, though presumably not west thereof. I don't remember what was carried by the Exmouth/Sidmouth to/from Cleethorpes (via the S&D) but it should logically have differed also. I don't have a photo of one quickly to hand in order to check.

*EDIT* Second thoughts on this. It might have been starboard middle and centre bottom, carried throughout!

There would be good reason, though for WR diversions which would "turn off" at Yeovil Junction to carry something else and standard train classification lamps would have been as good as anything.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

TBH, Route discs carried between Salisbury and Exeter were largely academic.

Indeed, the idea that a signalman on that sort of railway didn't know what was coming if it wasn't in the WTT is fanciful indeed. Omnibus telephone circuits were everywhere, and if you heard buzzing between signal boxes (you knew the codes for other boxes) you simply picked up the earpiece and listened. The railway grapevine was far more effective in days when staff were numerous and calls were anything but private. Dial phones, with no scope for listening into others' conversations, actually slowed the spread of intelligence. 

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

TBH, Route discs carried between Salisbury and Exeter were largely academic. Almost everything carried the standard "top and bottom centre" London-Plymouth code other than the Brighton-Plymouth, which (IIRC) carried right and left middle discs (usually denoting "North Cornwall") *EDIT* east of Exeter Central, though presumably not west thereof. I don't remember what was carried by the Exmouth/Sidmouth to/from Cleethorpes (via the S&D) but it should logically have differed also. I don't have a photo of one quickly to hand in order to check.

*EDIT* Second thoughts on this. It might have been starboard middle and centre bottom, carried throughout!

There would be good reason, though for WR diversions which would "turn off" at Yeovil Junction to carry something else and standard train classification lamps would have been as good as anything.

John

From my pics, the Brighton mostly carried the 'Plymouth' Discs west of Salisbury, but I do have one phot of the Brighton at SJ with three discs; Top, Middle and Fireman's (off) side! 

I'll check the Cleethorpes tomorrow, but I think I only have one of it on the line west of Templecombe.

Agreed that the WR diverts were Lamps if it was a WR Engine. No idea what it was with a SR Engine as I have no pics, but would go with lamps too.

Phi

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

John

I am led to believe that the Up early evening fast fitted Vans/goods, that was usually a Standard 5 (return) working, had a different Disc Code as it was for NIne Elms Goods.

No phots of that either.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I am led to believe that the Up early evening fast fitted Vans/goods, that was usually a Standard 5 (return) working, had a different Disc Code as it was for NIne Elms Goods.

No phots of that either.

Phil

As I have a complete 1960 list of all the codes (except diversions of course!!)  forthe salisbury -Exeter route, and branches,  I suppose I had better check them for you.? Photos in the Plymuff area show the Brighton carrying a different code from the Londons and Plymouth -Exeter trains.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/08/2023 at 19:55, gwrrob said:

I do believe 2253 Omaha was down in the South Hams a couple of years ago if that counts.🤣 I do like the maroon livery and also the fact it's owner named her after one of the D-Day beaches this country's greatest generation landed on in 1944.

She is still here haven't seen her working myself but heard her on several occasions, as of two weeks ago she was parked up on the spur off the turntable at Churston

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

No phots of that either.

Phil

Came through Axminster a bit after six IIRC. We lads used to refer to it as "The Perishables", which I presume we picked up from the station staff. The keener of us used to rush our evening meal to make sure of seeing it.

I think it started from way down in Padstow about three hours earlier.  

Trains to/from Nine Elms Goods did have their own code, I was only thinking of passenger workings earlier! 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Came through Axminster a bit after six IIRC. We lads used to refer to it as "The Perishables", which I presume we picked up from the station staff. The keener of us used to rush our evening meal to make sure of seeing it.

Trains to/from Nine Elms Goods did have their own code, I was only thinking of passenger workings earlier! 

John

Yes, there were vans of perishables attached to the 3pm ish departure from Padstow. I believe that was known as ‘The Perishables’ as well. Interesting to see how all this followed on combined with presumably, traffic from other places.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

Yes, there were vans of perishables attached to the 3pm ish departure from Padstow. I believe that was known as ‘The Perishables’ as well. Interesting to see how all this followed on combined with presumably, traffic from other places.

The Irwell book on the North Cornwall Railway makes reference in several places to  it being 3.13 p.m. from Padstow, and it will have picked up produce at specified stations en route. The early markets in London will have been the intended target for this stuff. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

The Irwell book on the North Cornwall Railway makes reference in several places to  it being 3.13 p.m. from Padstow, and it will have picked up produce at specified stations en route. The early markets in London will have been the intended target for this stuff. 

Long before a certain Rick Stein's produce dominated the town. The queue outside his takeaway last month was bewildering.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Long before a certain Rick Stein's produce dominated the town. The queue outside his takeaway last month was bewildering.

We visited and stayed in Padstow a few times in the very early 1980s. One day after Christmas in 2021 we paid a quick visit and to be honest we both wished we hadn't. Fully appreciating the local people need all the income they can get, I'll just tactfully say Padstow not for us any more. Mevagissey is our 'go to' harbour these days but please don't tell anyone..! A winter walk across the cliffs from Port Isaac also takes some beating.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Years ago (at least 25), I visited the 'stow with my then girlfriend, a chef, and she popped into his restaurant to get a menu.  She came out with a copy £18 lighter (and no chips).

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Mike_Walker said:

As long as you don't bump into Doc Martin on the way!  😁

Carol reckon’s I would make a good stand in - a grumpy old *** with a scruffy little dog! 

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

As I have a complete 1960 list of all the codes (except diversions of course!!)  forthe salisbury -Exeter route, and branches,  I suppose I had better check them for you.? Photos in the Plymuff area show the Brighton carrying a different code from the Londons and Plymouth -Exeter trains.

That's so kind Mike. If you think it's less of a burden to ANTB to post it to me PM; unless, of course it is of general interest?

Sincerely,

Philth

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

Mevagissey is our 'go to' harbour these days but please don't tell anyone..! A winter walk across the cliffs from Port Isaac also takes some beating.

Mevagissey was where, in 2014, an unexpected phonecall caused Sherry to decide to end her marriage and set sail with this widower, as I then was. We married the next year. Walks along the cliffs from PI, passing Roscarrock Farm where the original Poldark was filmed, were invariably headed to Port Quin, possibly with cream tea at Doyden. Then back along the lanes and down Church Hill. My parents had 'discovered' PI in the Hitler war. 

When they filmed the pilot for Doc Martin, which I believe was never shown, although it built on the success of the film Saving Grace, we found the cottage we were renting for a week was to be part of a scene. So on Sunday afternoon, Martin Clunes stood out in the street (Church Hill) while an actor was inside the stable door to 'our' kitchen. Film-making is lugubrious stuff. 

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

John

I'm unsure if the 'Meat' was on this Train? There were, I think, two sources for that (one being Barnstaple?) and was mostly in Containers, some being Iced).

What I do know is that there was a Fast Fitted Vans (empty - 42/6 I think it was)  down from Elms very early morning and it was a NE Packet turn. That packet returned East later in the morning.

Such fun.

P

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Mallard60022 said:

I'm unsure if the 'Meat' was on this Train? There were, I think, two sources for that (one being Barnstaple?) and was mostly in Containers, some being Iced).

What I do know is that there was a Fast Fitted Vans (empty - 42/6 I think it was)  down from Elms very early morning and it was a NE Packet turn. That packet returned East later in the morning.

Such fun.

P

Halwill Junction had a slaughterhouse and loaded meat to various destinations in containers. 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2