A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

God's ( I used to say H£ll's but it often gets deleted) Teeth, I hadn't sussed that some of the Moguls had that Cab. Does it include 7311? Thanks.

P

According to the RCTS bible part 9 numbers 7300-7319 were built in 1921/22 with Churchward cabs.

Numbers 9300-9319 were built in 1932 with Collett cabs, being modified in 1956 and renumbered as 7322-41.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 hours ago, 46444 said:

So far Dapol have not done the Collett cabbed Moguls so detailing the old school Bachmann job is one way to get one.

Here's one I've almost finished.

Cheeky Rascal...

Blog entry shortly. 

Railtec 3D printed numberplates fitted.

As an aside I replaced the axles and gear with new ones from Peter's Spares.  Nice easy job and it's runs like new.

https://www.petersspares.com/p/peters-spares-ps117-replacement-Bachmann-axle-set

Well worth resurrecting a split axle Bachmann loco for £10.

Cheers,

Mark

PS: I think Phil's been on the Ginsters again but I totally agree with him. The Rapido 15xx is a proper job Pannier...

Cracking. That's really my kind of old school model loco taken up a level or two. I have a Churchward cab version on the to do list.

I also have a spare set of wheels axles and rods in stock, even though it appears never to have been run.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Oh dear, how sad it looks these days...

Yes - a real place of faded glory.  A similar feeling across the whole ride to Swansea.  Llanelli and, particularly, Camarthan which seemed a shadow of what it must have been.  I'd visited the PUMA storage depot earlier in the day and my distinct sense was the oil traffic is what keeps that line open.  Given the countryside is lovely, I almost wondered whether the line would be more effective as a heritage / tourist route.  A bit like the Scottish line to Fort William for the Jacobite or the Shakespeare Express.

One thing that puzzled me was the footbridge at Haverfordwest was replaced relatively recently.  An odd decision to spend money to connect a pretty much unused platform.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clearwater said:

Yes - a real place of faded glory.  A similar feeling across the whole ride to Swansea.  Llanelli and, particularly, Camarthan which seemed a shadow of what it must have been.  I'd visited the PUMA storage depot earlier in the day and my distinct sense was the oil traffic is what keeps that line open.  Given the countryside is lovely, I almost wondered whether the line would be more effective as a heritage / tourist route.  A bit like the Scottish line to Fort William for the Jacobite or the Shakespeare Express.

One thing that puzzled me was the footbridge at Haverfordwest was replaced relatively recently.  An odd decision to spend money to connect a pretty much unused platform.

Like many remote parts of the UK,it’s sparsely populated. Yet it still sustains long distance rail workings….. for instance arguably the longest ( and possibly the most uncomfortable ) journey one can make by a 150 unit between Manchester and Milford Haven. Gone though are the days of  “Paddington-Tenby and Pembroke Dock”, “Paddington and Neyland “ ,”Paddington-Cardiff and Fishguard Harbour “( Fishguard to Rosslaire ferry no more ) .Neyland shed had an allocation of Counties for mainly fish,milk & parcels.

I’m afraid David you and the good & worthy CK set off this old git’s reminiscing again. Haverfordwest isn’t perhaps the best example of a rail enthusiast’s dream but once while on holiday with my parents in Pembrokeshire ( as it then was or colloquially as “Little England beyond Wales ),the clutch on our Morris Oxford gave up the ghost and had to be replaced at a garage in Haverfordwest.So where in the ensuing hours do I go to while away the time ? 
 Not my most productive day as a spotter. The highlight being a 43 XX with an up Paddington bound portion . Mostly,you could hear the silence over the bird and insect song. Now the weeds.Prophetic?

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

a 150 unit between Manchester and Milford Haven.

42 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

If only it went via Strata Florida...

Hydraulic transmission via Strata Florida - hasn’t that been done before?

Sadly I missed it by about 6 months.

Paul.

• Friendly/supportive 2

51 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Shiny wheels again. Pity.

Rather spoils an otherwise impressive model I think, I am perfectly happy with removing tension lock couplings and fitting my own as TL are the industry standard and the variation on the old Airfix pattern is the least obtrusive, but I find painting wheelsets tedious.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Rather spoils an otherwise impressive model I think, I am perfectly happy with removing tension lock couplings and fitting my own as TL are the industry standard and the variation on the old Airfix pattern is the least obtrusive, but I find painting wheelsets tedious.

I don't mind painting wheels but not when the subject item costs 30 quid a pop.

• Like 3
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Not that I mind but 304417 above was advertised as having spoked wheels.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Shiny wheels again. Pity.

Time to get that black Sharpie permanent marker out...

Agree. A bit blingtastic...😎

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

And arrived…..and test run. I mean Rapido 1504. No bits off. Follows on from the 16XX Pannier in similar fashion. One of the best. A true pedigree. Brilliant design. Superbly rendered by factory.Smooth silky performance. Whomsoever you are,stand up and take a bow. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, 46444 said:

Time to get that black Sharpie permanent marker out...

Agree. A bit blingtastic...😎

Actually 46444, (should I call you Mogul?), the 'lumpy', square edge marker is big and wide and does the job really quickly; I'm too bl00dy lazy to carefully mark with a Sharpie. In fact I probably have loads of shiny wheels to do!

P

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Serious question all. Does anyone have some sort of substance that you use to 'tone down' Loco Wheels, BUT doesn't affect the pick up of power from the track?

The whole tyre really, but the Flanges on a couple of my Kit Builds are just silly looking, side on!

Mainly Drivers, but head on, many Bogie wheels look sooooo shiny its silly. 

Could do Stock as well (if I'm totally obsessive).

Thanks,

Phil

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Like many remote parts of the UK,it’s sparsely populated. Yet it still sustains long distance rail workings….. for instance arguably the longest ( and possibly the most uncomfortable ) journey one can make by a 150 unit between Manchester and Milford Haven. Gone though are the days of  “Paddington-Tenby and Pembroke Dock”, “Paddington and Neyland “ ,”Paddington-Cardiff and Fishguard Harbour “( Fishguard to Rosslaire ferry no more ) .Neyland shed had an allocation of Counties for mainly fish,milk & parcels.

I’m afraid David you and the good & worthy CK set off this old git’s reminiscing again. Haverfordwest isn’t perhaps the best example of a rail enthusiast’s dream but once while on holiday with my parents in Pembrokeshire ( as it then was or colloquially as “Little England beyond Wales ),the clutch on our Morris Oxford gave up the ghost and had to be replaced at a garage in Haverfordwest.So where in the ensuing hours do I go to while away the time ? 
 Not my most productive day as a spotter. The highlight being a 43 XX with an up Paddington bound portion . Mostly,you could hear the silence over the bird and insect song. Now the weeds.Prophetic?

Hereford is a wee bit like that these days, (or was when I was last there by train some years back); Still rather a beautiful Main Station, but the spacious area reeks of past glory.

Phil

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Hereford is a wee bit like that these days, (or was when I was last there by train some years back); Still rather a beautiful Main Station, but the spacious area reeks of past glory.

Phil

I think the last time I was through Hereford by train was 1957. A Manchester-Cardiff train from Shrewsbury to Ponty pool Road.. …change for Vale of Neath train to Aberdare High Level . Motive power was Canton’s ( 86C ) 70020 “Mercury “ . An 86J Pannier then ,over the Crumlin Viaduct home. All of memory now.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I think the last time I was through Hereford by train was 1957. A Manchester-Cardiff train from Shrewsbury to Ponty pool Road.. …change for Vale of Neath train to Aberdare High Level . Motive power was Canton’s ( 86C ) 70020 “Mercury “ . An 86J Pannier then ,over the Crumlin Viaduct home. All of memory now.

Oooof. How the mighty has fallen.

In recent history I've not been south of Hereford, but have taken both routes from North, down to it. The Brum route several times and both ways and once from Manchester. The Brum route bogcart is often stuffed beyond comfort! That trip of yours sounds amazing.

I have a son lives just outside the City and thus I've investigated the old infrastructure to some degree and even sensed the Ghosts of the Engine Shed at the Sainsburys site. For a short time he lived in one of the railway Cottages that are still there!

Pontrilas Station House is also a great Holiday Let.

I think, but can not confirm that I once Travelled from Shrewsbury to Worcester via Hereford on a rail travel based Shed bash in early 1963!

P

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I've just realised that Rapido picked the same running number as my kit built version.😟They must have worked from the same photo but it highlights the different shades of bauxite as I used Railmatch 612 and they matched the equivalent Precision paint. I won't be running them side by side now.😁

217624.jpg.e69b585344b6c2cdfedf8386797b0ae2.jpg

WEB230915RAPIDO937007_2.jpg.4a0dc3393100008b8a959659e4fbc17b.jpg

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

do the resident LMS experts have an opinion on which is the more accurate shade? I've the odd kit of that era to build myself.

Just to add to the confusion, this pre weathering picture is Railmatch's take on LMS bauxite. 

IMG_20221230_0615503.jpg.2005209317d0f7b1f3a22d27e8b114b7.jpg