A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

What are the chances of a Bachmann Saint class announcement ?

1 hour ago, checkrail said:

Would rather have a Bulldog - they've made most of it already.

No great surprise. No Saint, no Bulldog. The closest they got is new versions of the 94XX. Otherwise, mostly modern image again.

Bachmann aren't really relevant to us any more, are they?

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

No great surprise. No Saint, no Bulldog. The closest they got is new versions of the 94XX. Mostly modern image again.

Bachmann aren't really relevant to us any more, are they?

Well maybe not to devotees of ANTB but  there is a second run of the 94XX at least.Bachmann’s products are to say the least diverse. There are many eggs in their basket. Though sign up if you’re catching the Newhaven-Dieppe ferry 

boat train from Victoria.I detect the hand of Graham Muz behind that one.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Well maybe not to devotees of ANTB but  there is a second run of the 94XX at least.Bachmann’s products are to say the least diverse. There are many eggs in their basket. Though sign up if you’re catching the Newhaven-Dieppe ferry 

boat train from Victoria.I detect the hand of Graham Muz behind that one.

94XX...very acceptable eh Ian?

P

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

94XX...very acceptable eh Ian?

P

For some yes of course.But I have one of the first run. A nice model though mine doesn’t like slow running over points. Anyway,Bachmann go their own way and we must await for future enjoyment those items we would have wished to see.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

bulldog-goring.jpg.b4e2b1ccacce67277e0686675a06fdaf.jpg

A no-name Bulldog trundles along at Goring on the up relief, attempting to pick up some water. Probably mid- to late-1930s. There's a new-ish Collett in the middle of the train, but the less said about the state of the remaining vehicles the better.

Lovely photo.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

A no-name Bulldog trundles along at Goring on the up relief, attempting to pick up some water. Probably mid- to late-1930s. There's a new-ish Collett in the middle of the train, but the less said about the state of the remaining vehicles the better.

So nice to have a decent image of a whole train, rather than just the locomotive. Not my railway, but I can imagine plenty of GWR aficionados positively hoovering details from that shot. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

FYI then. Bure Valley Models have Caldicot  on at £158. 4 in stock.Free postage 

Sorry correction here. It’s Caerphilly ( shirt button & Collett tender ) not Caldicot.  The latter is £198. Apologies for the misinformation.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Sorry correction here. It’s Caerphilly ( shirt button & Collett tender ) not Caldicot.  The latter is £198. Apologies for the misinformation.

Am I correct in thinking there have been updates to Caldicot, hence the price drop over Caerphilly?

4 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

The only things I'd say about the competition to produce the largest Box is:

that it uses more material;

is difficult to smuggle into the House down ones Trousers;

Why would you need to smuggle things in your trousers? 

From what I've seen, shoplifting is no longer a crime, or if it is, it's certainly no longer punishable...

If you've got to smuggle it past SWMBO, either redress the balance by indulging her interests more, or can you get one that is more understanding of your addition?

takes up the space of 2 or three 'normal size' Boxes in the Stash Mountain.

That would add weight to your case for an extension, loft conversion or a bigger shed perhaps?

If that says many things about me, none of them good, then I don't care.

Good day.

Phil 

I don't imagine that a chap like yourself would lose his sense of gentlemanly decorum and get publicly batey with a company representative over a cardboard box. Perhaps a strongly worded letter to Messrs Hornby? 😉

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

Great photo, it looks like someone emptied my box of random old coaches into a train.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Am I correct in thinking there have been updates to Caldicot, hence the price drop over Caerphilly?

That I couldn’t say but the present release Caldicot looks remarkably similar to the last release Caerphilly ( c 2017 ). Such a price differential is frankly illogical anyway. So given the present state of the market,Caerphilly is a reasonable bet if your preference is for a GWR Castle 1930’s era.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I bought one from Hattons daily secondhand page last month   late crest unlined , DCC fitted so I took the chip out and it runs really well . Haven’t sent it up hills yet but it’s ok on the flat. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

May I ask. DJ Models 14XX was it/is it really awful?

Phil

l think it depends upon your expectations. It was….and still is…..the object of much derision ,some of it I’m sure being justified. I have no problem with them ,something I’m almost afraid to declare.It’s in essence a GW auto train tank so remember the model isn’t required to do an awful lot in terms of grunt. A pretty little thing which is now expecting Dapol to produce the ultimate auto coach. Thus in specific answer from a purely personal perspective the answer has to be……no. I will now take cover….Cue shouts of “incoming “….

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

May I ask. DJ Models 14XX was it/is it really awful?

Phil

Yes it was. Utterly disastrous. 

I ordered two from Hattons, differing versions and tried six in total to get two that would run well enough to build an exhibition layout around. None were good enough and I eventually obtained a refund. The running ranged from slowing then speeding up for no reason, falling over on points and totally erratic, jerky running. 

Another example was bought second hand last year. This was much better and ran reasonably well but it hasnow moved on. 

The body is very good, setting the missing ashpan to one side but the chassis is an absolute dogs dinner and wasn't fit for purpose from the word go. 

If they were to be re-released with a different chassis then I would definitely be in the market for mutiple examples. It's my favourite GWR loco. 

Rob

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

I am intrigued. The clerestory behind the Collett appears to be all one colour. Lake? Brown? Filthy?

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Yes it was. Utterly disastrous. 

Rob is right. The body is very good, the chassis is an abomination.

I bought another one second-hand (but as new) from a friend recently. It ran as badly as I expected. I already had an etched chassis kit waiting for it...

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2