A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Don't mention portholes either.I'm hoping Buffalo or Miss Prism don't visit this thread.Mikkel does though..

Looks fine side-on. You could always refuse to issue trackside permits to photographers intent on taking three-quarter or end-on shots of small Prairies.

• RMweb Gold

Yes quite why my Penzance based 4540 would be working the Kingsbridge branch is a mystery.The same for Exeter based 5525.Most of mine don't tally as I've used the livery they are carrying rather than the period I model.

Shopped at Newton Abbot and on work relatively locally pending return to home depot  (a pseudonym for 'pinched').

• Like 2

Shopped at Newton Abbot and on work relatively locally pending return to home depot  (a pseudonym for 'pinched').

Very pleasing to have one my "Trumps"(Jokers?) authorised for play. I now just need to prove that  the following statement is not a total lie - "If you stood for long enough on the Torbay Branch there was a good chance of seeing almost everything(from everywhere) that the GWR/BR(WR) had to offer".

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Very pleasing to have one my "Trumps"(Jokers?) authorised for play. I now just need to prove that  the following statement is not a total lie - "If you stood for long enough on the Torbay Branch there was a good chance of seeing almost everything(from everywhere) that the GWR/BR(WR) had to offer".

You wouldn't have seen a railcar or the Great Bear. :read:

Well that's two I can cross off my list then, although, thinking for a moment, I do already have an old Lima Railcar stored somewhere purchased for the princely sum of £7.35 many years ago and a possible cunning plan for using it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I do already have an old Lima Railcar stored somewhere purchased for the princely sum of £7.35 many years ago and a possible cunning plan for using it.

Bin it and buy the new Dapol version.There's a kit by the long gone M & L for the Bear but unmade kits go for silly money on ebay and there's absolutely no chance of a rtr version.You would have seen a 47xx on that branch though.You're showing your age with that price too. ;)

• RMweb Premium

Very good and true for me too.Don't mention portholes either.I'm hoping Buffalo or Miss Prism don't visit this thread.Mikkel does though..

attachicon.gif4547-LHS.JPG

Lovely shot of the 45xx Robin - how did you weather it? Subtly done, just to take the sheen off.

• RMweb Premium

Bin it and buy the new Dapol version.There's a kit by the long gone M & L for the Bear but unmade kits go for silly money on ebay and there's absolutely no chance of a rtr version.You would have seen a 47xx on that branch though.You're showing your age with that price too. ;)

Looking forward to the Dapol Railcar, but news on that front seems to have gone very quiet since Dave left.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Rather amusingly I have a coloured postcard of 'The Great Bear' running along the seawall section just to the west of Parson's Tunnel.  However I have more than an inkling that the artist who painted the picture used for the postcard was probably blessed with a very fertile imagination (and limited technical drawing skill).

• RMweb Gold

Disagree how dare you it's my choice. :beee:

So true Bob but I'd also say I disagree to the guy at Swindon works who's idea it was to put an insignificant logo on its locos.I do like it on brown vehicles though.

• Like 1

After some research I find that my wise investment of £7.35 in 1980 to purchase a Lima GWR Railcar would cost me £26.73 today. Apparently the things sell for around £40 on Ebay judging by recent "sold" listings - mind you mine's not mint as I've spoilt it by adding passengers. :beee:

• RMweb Gold

After some research I find that my wise investment of £7.35 in 1980 to purchase a Lima GWR Railcar would cost me £26.73 today.

Excellent.How much was the average mans weekly wage back then.I bet £7 was a lot in 1980.I seem to remember spending £5 on a night out back then.1980 was the year I left school.I had no kids to support,mortgage or other worries.I still had hair back then.Great music and happy days.

Excellent.How much was the average mans weekly wage back then.I bet £7 was a lot in 1980.I seem to remember spending £5 on a night out back then.1980 was the year I left school.I had no kids to support,mortgage or other worries.I still had hair back then.Great music and happy days.

I can beat that. In 1974 I could have 6 pints of beer (foul stuff - Tartan Bitter 12/13 pence a pint) and Fish and Chips and still have change from a pound.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

beer (foul stuff - Tartan Bitter 12/13 pence a pint)

About as disgusting as the stuff that came out of those party seven tins we opened with a screwdriver blade.

post-126-0-58045800-1382996637.jpg

Edited by gwrrob

I can beat that. In 1974 I could have 6 pints of beer (foul stuff - Tartan Bitter 12/13 pence a pint) and Fish and Chips and still have change from a pound.

1974..I wasn't allowed beer back then. But I'm making up for that right now. Celebrating the fact that a star is heading my way...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

1974..I wasn't allowed beer back then. But I'm making up for that right now. Celebrating the fact that a star is heading my way...

My 'local' retailer hasn't got them in yet. :cry:

My 'local' retailer hasn't got them in yet. :cry:

At least you have a 'local' retailer who stocks Hornby. My erstwhile also not so local retailer thought I had gone barking mad when I told him I switched to modeling British outline!   :dontknow:

Switching to whisky now, My next post might be incomprehensible.  :rofl_mini:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Switching to whisky now, My next post might be incomprehensible.  :rofl_mini:

I don't need a strong drink to make my posts incomprehensible. :lol: I do need one after going Xmas shopping in Birmingham today. :scared:

• RMweb Premium

I can beat that, in 1966 i could get 6 pints of Scrumpy in The Waterloo near Devonport Kings Road Station for 60 old pennies  (about 23 pence) and not need any fish & chips as I felt so ill :crazy:.....explains a lot about my 'state' these days really.............

Quack

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 pints of Scrumpy in The Waterloo near Devonport Kings Road Station for 60 old pennies 

That sounds like the stuff my old man described as his first drinking pleasure.You could use it to strip paint with.It would put hairs on your chest,women too.

• RMweb Gold

Anyway back on topic and I need someone with a bit of diesel knowledge on here.Warships, the NBL versions.Inspired by this photo find of a double header with 4098 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370924240305?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I assume the Bachmann model is wrong for use in this modelling opportunity.D602 was Laira based at this time.Where's the 'out of my comfort zone' button.

http://www.railblue.com/pages/In%20Depth/hydraulic_pioneers.htm

Anyway back on topic and I need someone with a bit of diesel knowledge on here.Warships, the NBL versions.Inspired by this photo find of a double header with 4098 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370924240305?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I assume the Bachmann model is wrong for use in this modelling opportunity.D602 was Laira based at this time.Where's the 'out of my comfort zone' button.

http://www.railblue.com/pages/In%20Depth/hydraulic_pioneers.htm

I'll put your name down for one of the "Kernow" Limited Editions http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/page/28/Warship_Limited_Editions. You'll have to "pace " yourself though, to make sure "A Nod to Brent" isn't "finished " before the model arrives from China.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

"A Nod to Brent" isn't "finished "

I don't think it will ever be finished.I spend too much time on here. :jester:

Thanks for that heads up and they are doing D602 'Bulldog' too.Whether its the same livery in the photo ,dated 1960, I posted I don't know.

Edited by gwrrob