Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Agenoria Models

Invertrains

Are 7mm traders

I think I am correct in saying that there is O Gauge exhibition in Bristol either this or next weekend

Agenoria had a 1366 tank at Telford but this now seems to be on the production list for 2015 on their website (and they appear to have the 1361 and 1366 images transposed). That would give me 12 months to practice on other, less complex, stuff.

Unfortunately I can't make the Bristol show, so it looks like I'll be trying for Kettering. 

• RMweb Premium

I keep looking at the 1366 on their site but would like to see one in the flesh first as I've seen mixed reviews. The example 1366 that Agenoria had on their stand at Telford was absolutely beautiful though.

• RMweb Premium

The Eric Underhill (formerly Vulcan) range is now with ABS Models and includes (from time to time as the proprietor determines) an 8750 and a 57xx pannier. At one point I was thinking that I might try an ABS 57xx and got so excited about the whole thing I started a thread about them: ABS 57xx and 8750 pannier tanks (formerly Vulcan/Eric Underhill). As is recorded elsewhere 'life'* then intervened but hey ho... the thread generated some stunning images of models produced from these kits and some useful advice.

David

* 'Life, something that happens despite the fact you've made other plans' (variously attributed to John Lennon and numerous others ;-)

Thanks David

I found your thread last night and, as you say, there were some fabulous photos of examples from the ABS (etc) range. 

I'm slightly worried about all this talk of non SR locos though (I suspect Robin is laughing). Damn the SR constituents for using awkward wheel arrangements. Reading various threads it does seem that I'll need to understand and tackle beam compensation to get 2-4-0 and 0-4-4 tanks running nicely.

I'm hoping that 'life' has settled down for you now. Such a shame your inspiring project got halted in its tracks. 

• RMweb Premium

Last post for now...

Spent last night looking for photos of the earlier stages of the clay wagon build to no avail. I've either saved them somewhere daft or the memory is playing tricks and I never took any!

All I could find were these pre-start images. They do at least show the origins of the wagons.

post-6675-0-84562300-1390379899_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-08634900-1390379917_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thinking about your quest for a first loco kit and a preference for a Southern loco rather than going over to the dark side of Swindon. Is there any way you could justify having a Southern G6 tank loco? (There's always Rule 1 of course...) as there's a Connoisseur Models kit for one: http://www.jimmcgeown.com/Loco%20Kit%20Pages/Southern%20G6%20Class.html

An 0-6-0 would be easier to build, not dissimilar to an O2 in body shape and Big Jim's kits have a good reputation for getting people going.

Just a thought...

Cheers,

Andrew

The well tank could be made easier. By just springing the leadind axle. And a 0-4-0 is easier to get running than a 0-6-0. The down side is the footplate. But Roxey's cast one solves that problem. Haywoods do a G6 too. I have made their M7 which went together well.

• RMweb Premium

Thinking about your quest for a first loco kit and a preference for a Southern loco rather than going over to the dark side of Swindon. Is there any way you could justify having a Southern G6 tank loco? (There's always Rule 1 of course...) as there's a Connoisseur Models kit for one: http://www.jimmcgeown.com/Loco%20Kit%20Pages/Southern%20G6%20Class.html

An 0-6-0 would be easier to build, not dissimilar to an O2 in body shape and Big Jim's kits have a good reputation for getting people going.

Just a thought...

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew

I have looked at the G6 a fair few times and, being impressed with Big Jim's Toad E, it could well be on the '1st loco kit' shortlist.

This evening I've had a look at the drawings for an O2 and G6 and can't believe how similar the bodies are. In the bad old days of Lima and Rovex they would certainly used the same body for their 4mm locos - just a subtly different chassis.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I had thought about the Connoisseur G6 as well Andrew as a starter for Chris.  As far as I know, the nearest one to Cornwall was the shunter at Meldon.  

I built Big Jim's kit for the G6 about 18 years ago and it went together well (see here in all its tatty glory.  It's after the 0415, O2 and 0298 :locomotive: ). It was (is?) designed without compensation in mind and is not easy to modify due to the design of the frames and coupling rods, but that really is not an issue for an 0-6-0T, and it makes for a far easier build.  Mine runs well as a rigid loco and is an ideal first loco for somebody that has built a few brass wagon kits. The kit did not come with any provision for the extended front buffer beam that was fitted to the class later in life.  I scratchbuilt mine out of a lump of brass, using the bufferbeam etch as a template.

I would say a G6 is far easier than a GWR pannier tank because the tanks are a simple box shape and the bunker is much simpler than the compound curve thing Swindon designed.

In the Wild Swan Adams Loco book by the late D.L.Bradley, there are GA drawings for both the G6 and O2 which are dead handy, plus plenty of photos.  Do you have a copy Chris?

Moral for tonight is don't close the browser after spending ages putting a RMweb reply together without sending it first.  :O

So, now the abridged version!

I've had another look at your excellent stock thread - if you ever get tired of any of them you'll let me know won't you?

Of the Wild Swan books, I've three of the four - guess which one I'm missing. I do however have the "Pictorial Record of Southern Locomotives" by JH Russell. This has a goodly collection of drawings, including two of the G6 - with and without the extended buffer beam. As I said above, it's very interesting to see the massive similarities between the G6 and O2 above the wheels. The G6 did get to Meldon too. Decisions, decisions.

• RMweb Premium

The well tank could be made easier. By just springing the leadind axle. And a 0-4-0 is easier to get running than a 0-6-0. The down side is the footplate. But Roxey's cast one solves that problem. Haywoods do a G6 too. I have made their M7 which went together well.

Evening Peter

Just realised that Brazil is only 2hrs behind the UK - thought it would be more somehow! 

You'll see that in the foot of the opening post I'm building my own personal list of useful websites and the appropriate loco kits they produce. I'm still stunned how many of the 'names' in O Gauge don't have any sort of website. Makes finding out what they have to offer and compare with others difficult. Atleast I have local expos, it must be really difficult or you! 

You'll see that in the foot of the opening post I'm building my own personal list of useful websites and the appropriate loco kits they produce. I'm still stunned how many of the 'names' in O Gauge don't have any sort of website. Makes finding out what they have to offer and compare with others difficult. At least I have local expos, it must be really difficult for you! 

If you would like a copy of the Scorpio catalogue then PM me and I'll send a scanned copy. 

Rather than spend time making your own list of websites, the G0G has a Traders Directory which will list sources of kits, part etc from any manufacturer whether they have a website or not. It's an invaluable resource and should be the first port-of-call when trying to source 7mm scale items.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

If you would like a copy of the Scorpio catalogue then PM me and I'll send a scanned copy. 

Rather than spend time making your own list of websites, the G0G has a Traders Directory which will list sources of kits, part etc from any manufacturer whether they have a website or not. It's an invaluable resource and should be the first port-of-call when trying to source 7mm scale items.

Dave

Hi Dave 

(PM sent)

I should have better worded my website statement to say that I was aware (and use) the G0G Trader Directory and this is also linked on the OP. What I was doing was going through the Traders List and making a note of those traders that have something useful with respect to this particular project. Moving up from 4mm to 7mm means that the vast majority of the traders listed mean nothing to me as they don't service my previous scale. I'm also aware that there are lists of Southern products on sites such as SEmG but I've found that many of the manufacturers have either gone or had their ranges taken on by others - it seems to be quite a fluid market! 

It's amazing what's on offer out there but there are so many one-man-bands that operate undercover, below the web. It's a catch 22: without knowing what they sell I don't know if there's anything of interest, but I won't know what they have until I phone or write off for a catalogue. (It also doesn't help that I don't know the technical description of many of the smaller parts!) Obviously word of mouth, and the helpful people on here make the task easier. 

Something I'm still looking for is a range of sprung wagon buffers to replace the solid whitemetal or sprung two-part whitemetal types that come with some kits. I know of the Slaters ones but would prefer something in brass/steel. Any ideas? 

Evening Peter

Just realised that Brazil is only 2hrs behind the UK - thought it would be more somehow! 

You'll see that in the foot of the opening post I'm building my own personal list of useful websites and the appropriate loco kits they produce. I'm still stunned how many of the 'names' in O Gauge don't have any sort of website. Makes finding out what they have to offer and compare with others difficult. Atleast I have local expos, it must be really difficult or you!

Rio is only 2 hours behind at the moment we are 3. But as you say you expect it to be more. I think it is because you link to the USA. Which is further west than we are.

For modelling its a case of plan ahead. Or make it your self. The hard bit is consumables flux metal black, paint etc. very hard to get. Also a post office that will lose anything even signed for post. There are a few model shops in the south of Brasil that will post, but to visit it is like going to Athens for a pot of humbrol paint.

Thanks David

I found your thread last night and, as you say, there were some fabulous photos of examples from the ABS (etc) range. 

I'm slightly worried about all this talk of non SR locos though (I suspect Robin is laughing). Damn the SR constituents for using awkward wheel arrangements. Reading various threads it does seem that I'll need to understand and tackle beam compensation to get 2-4-0 and 0-4-4 tanks running nicely.

I'm hoping that 'life' has settled down for you now. Such a shame your inspiring project got halted in its tracks. 

Really appreciate that Chris... life is just beginning to show signs some kind of something (not quite sure what though) and as a result my much abbreviated project is now reborn and slowly gathering momentum.

Couldn't possibly comment on the intrusion of things Swindon-style into north Cornwall bearing in mind I have at least two photos of a 'pannier' heading up a Maunsell set at Wadebridge! I've resolved the conundrum by abandoning my Western roots and moving my focus 'oop norf' (the North East to be precise) where I can happily take my pick of any number of small 'industrials', J72s and J94s without so much as a whiff of Rule 1.

TTFN.... David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all

Since a job change, a home office has moved into the train room and Pencarrow Bridge will now be running along a shorter wall than before. Available length is 13'4", so I'm working to an overall size of 13' x 3', including a 4' fiddle area, which leaves 9' x 3' for the scenic.

It's very much the same concept as before but shortened. to do this has meant relocating the platform and doing away with the approach pointwork.

The diagram below was produced just to see if the idea would work and there's still fine tuning to do regarding the awkward alignment of the mainline and board joint vs point clashes. 

Anyway this is what I have to date. three good length sidings, half a loop and a kickback for the freight only (Wenford style) line to some off scene clay works. 

post-6675-0-14781800-1390781032_thumb.jpg

I'll explain a bit more when it's not so late.

Next stop is perhaps Templot and/or lining paper on the floor and full size templates of buildings etc...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just the sort of thing I had in mind Mickey.

Buildings-wise, there's:

# the wharf and (1/2) cottage from Hellandbridge

# gantry crane and goods office from Wenford

# LSWR cottage, concrete platform and pagoda hut from Nanstallon

# Low level gardens, retaining wall and cottage adjacent the track from Dunmere

• RMweb Gold

Evening all

Since a job change, a home office has moved into the train room and Pencarrow Bridge will now be running along a shorter wall than before. Available length is 13'4", so I'm working to an overall size of 13' x 3', including a 4' fiddle area, which leaves 9' x 3' for the scenic.

It's very much the same concept as before but shortened. to do this has meant relocating the platform and doing away with the approach pointwork.

The diagram below was produced just to see if the idea would work and there's still fine tuning to do regarding the awkward alignment of the mainline and board joint vs point clashes. 

Anyway this is what I have to date. three good length sidings, half a loop and a kickback for the freight only (Wenford style) line to some off scene clay works. 

attachicon.gifScreenHunter_01 Jan. 26 23.55.jpg

I'll explain a bit more when it's not so late.

Next stop is perhaps Templot and/or lining paper on the floor and full size templates of buildings etc...

Have you thought about doing it all in OO ? You'd get a lot more in...

• RMweb Premium

I've been busy over the last week of evenings...

The track plan evolved from this scribble:

post-6675-0-55567900-1390936656_thumb.jpg

To this first stab on AnyRail

post-6675-0-57546600-1390936449_thumb.jpg

Which has now been reversed (as I realised the fiddle would be at the wrong end and clash with other future plans)

post-6675-0-07289300-1390936448_thumb.jpg

And now bodged up at full model size on lining paper.

post-6675-0-59981100-1390936419_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-37521300-1390936424_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I'm guessing that this load of post-it notes, kit boxes, dust sheet and other stray items may not convey what I see in my mind, so here's a guided tour.

Board 1 (to from the fiddle)

post-6675-0-58884600-1390936852_thumb.jpg

The two Parkside boxes front left in an L shape will be a single version of the cottages at Hellandbridge.

post-6675-0-78492800-1390937699.jpg

The two Parkside boxes in a line behind them will be the wharf at Hellandbridge.

post-6675-0-32475700-1390937696.jpg

Between them runs the line to the off-scene clay works. This will look a bit like this (backdated).

post-6675-0-23716900-1390937698.jpg

Behind the wharf are the two 'main' lines forming the loop. The nearest leads to the platform and the one behind is the loop line.

The dust sheet (very, very roughly) represents land rising up in the corner and a small rockface.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Board 2 (the middle one)

post-6675-0-07430000-1390938016_thumb.jpg

The front-most line is the exchange siding from the clay line. This will be ash / hard surfaced and gradually disappear into the undergrowth as it approaches the station end. This is typical of a number of sidings along the B&W such as Tresarratt. 

post-6675-0-85512900-1390940059.jpg

The land in front of it will be about 2" lower than the siding which will be supported by an old stone wall. 

post-6675-0-32263000-1390940062.jpg

The two Slaters boxes represent a cottage, side on to the line at this lower level. There are a couple to choose from on the B&W line at Dunmere, such as those below. 

post-6675-0-58655800-1390938899.jpg

post-6675-0-28863800-1390938897.jpg

post-6675-0-86868100-1390938895.jpg

Front and right of these will be well maintained gardens with an empty deck chair. This is a cameo that I've had in mind for ages and is summed up by the photo below. 

post-6675-0-90037900-1390939288.jpg

Front and left heading towards the old Wharf will be a front garden (rising), hedges and an ungated crossing of the clay line. A bit like this.

post-6675-0-46568000-1390940163_thumb.jpg

Behind the clay exchange siding, too the right of this board we see the ground frame (represented by the tub of sweets) and the start of the concrete platform. This will probably be a similar size to those seen at Grogley, Boscarne Jct and Dunmere Jct. 

post-6675-0-41130200-1390942516.jpg

To the rear of the layout, behind the last line will be a store and general 'stuff' to close off the scene.

• Like 8