Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Model locos cost very little after purchase or on completion of the kit. Ponies have ongoing "through life costs" however, food, medication, vets bills etc. Need I go on? Could be a bargaining position for commissioning a BWT from a professional builder!

Or bankruptcy!

• RMweb Premium

Have just come back to our lodgings from a wonderful two hour hack over the Blair Atholl estate. Have discovered that Highland ponies do not have withers, just very broad backs. My pony was 16-2 which is rather large as ponies go. I'm hopeful my knees will return to their normal relationship over the next hour or so!

It's not my knees I've had trouble with previously...those saddles aren't overly comfortable. Car seats are much better.

• RMweb Gold

I guess the plus points are this form of horsepower has a self lowering body and a built-in, hidden braking system.

Yes, that's right Stu, I've always thought I'm a suitable build to be a jockey.

Well, if Clare Balding can do it.......

This pony was a rescued from a previous owner and I'm told that she was a 'bargain'. Must remember that line for the next loco purchase...

Speaking from experience, bargain ponies have a tendency to come back to bite you (literally).

If it's one of the ones that starts to turn right and then throws in a little shoulder lurch to the left, you should keep the video camera on your phone handy for the inevitable and amusing unseatings.

• RMweb Premium

My thoughts on a revised plan with an extra 1m long board inserted into the run. This enables the full runround loop to be modelled on-scene. 

post-6675-0-23775500-1430342718.jpg

post-6675-0-60400700-1430342753_thumb.png

Essentially the same but some subtle differences in the scenic treatment to make it a little less sleepy and more suitable for bigger locos than a BWT. 

Nothing earth shattering in the plan - a loop, three sidings and a kickback route to the mineral line. 

• Like 7

Chris, Just random thoughts, however, I prefer the way the top two sidings curve on the free-hand plan; compared to the way they curve on the templot drawing. - and I'd make them spring off the loop on a three-way point to give both sidings  roughly the same capacity.

Looks very good with plenty of scenic opportunities and would also certainly keep you busy shunting wagons into and out of the mineral line.

All the best,

John

• RMweb Premium

Chris, Just random thoughts, however, I prefer the way the top two sidings curve on the free-hand plan; compared to the way they curve on the templot drawing. - and I'd make them spring off the loop on a three-way point to give both sidings roughly the same capacity.

Looks very good with plenty of scenic opportunities and would also certainly keep you busy shunting wagons into and out of the mineral line.

All the best,

John

Evening John - good to have a new source of random thoughts!

The curve of the sidings on the Templot plan is a little arbitrary - I'll fix the alignment on board by eye as I find that's easier than fighting with Templot.

I did consider a three way but the down side is that adding a LH point on top of where the current RH point is will send a track into an area I want for scenic work. I'm happy the current sidings are long enough - don't want too much track!

• Like 1

Evening John - good to have a new source of random thoughts!

The curve of the sidings on the Templot plan is a little arbitrary - I'll fix the alignment on board by eye as I find that's easier than fighting with Templot.

I did consider a three way but the down side is that adding a LH point on top of where the current RH point is will send a track into an area I want for scenic work. I'm happy the current sidings are long enough - don't want too much track!

No not a symetrical 3 way, a Tandem using two right hand points, eg B6 & B8 but preferably what fits

There's no fighting with Templot, if you get away from the idea of laying it like set track using individual components

Using templot will give you the correct crossing angles and curving so the track flows smoothly at the moment it's just a dogs leg, needs putting right before it gets to the baseboard, otherwise you will be building the turnouts wrong, and no matter how many times you try to set the parts by hand eye it'll just be wrong

Geoff

• RMweb Gold

No not a symetrical 3 way, a Tandem using two right hand points, eg B6 & B8 but preferably what fits

There's no fighting with Templot, if you get away from the idea of laying it like set track using individual components

Using templot will give you the correct crossing angles and curving so the track flows smoothly at the moment it's just a dogs leg, needs putting right before it gets to the baseboard, otherwise you will be building the turnouts wrong, and no matter how many times you try to set the parts by hand eye it'll just be wrong

Geoff

Geoff I do not find it easy to design withTemplot. I create a template for one turnout but when I add more bits I find I have to go back and change the earlier ones. You cannot simply move something and have the software adjust the rest. When I draw it on paper it is just the same but I find it much quicker to rub out something and draw it again. Then when I lay the track out I finalise it all and can adjust the turnouts as I build them. I find it more fun laying it out than I do trying to move it about with templot. It is probably me but I have developed my techniques over 35 years. Templot does very good templates but you are still designing with templates. Laying it out on the baseboard I can align the tracks and see what turnouts fit. I can adjust the crossing angles.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Geoff I do not find it easy to design withTemplot. I create a template for one turnout but when I add more bits I find I have to go back and change the earlier ones. You cannot simply move something and have the software adjust the rest.

Hi Don,

You can easily move and rotate groups of templates in Templot, and align them with other tracks.

Templot does very good templates but you are still designing with templates. Laying it out on the baseboard I can align the tracks and see what turnouts fit. I can adjust the crossing angles.

You can align tracks and see what fits in Templot, and adjust crossing angles.

Templot calls its track objects "templates" but they are very different from the usual meaning of printed templates as fixed individual items. In Templot every "template" is infinitely adjustable in length and curving, and can have an infinitely adjustable turnout, or part of one, inserted anywhere within it.

If you watch this beginner video, you will see how everything is adjustable:

http://www.templot.com/martweb/videos/flash/starter/em_starter.html

I know some folks prefer hand drawing to using a computer, and that's fair enough, each to his own. But please don't justify your preference by making misleading statements about Templot.

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Premium

The thing is that Templot is a tool and just like a paintbrush or a soldering iron, some people find it easier to master than others. It isn't just drag and drop it requires a certain level of skill to get the best results from it.

Personally I struggled with it, even after watching the tutorials etc. and can recognise the "fighting with it". I stuck with it and over time and with plenty of trial and error got my head around the basics. I would never build another layout without it, but can see how some might be put off by its apparent complexity when first starting to use it.

For me the breakthrough came from sketching my plan by hand first in a way I have done 100s of times over the years then importing this as a background in Templot.

• Like 1