Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

The O2 isn't that much shorter Pete and the other one is still on the naughty step. Glad I've gone for 6' platforms.

I have always tried to make platforms as long as possible. I think it looks wrong two coaches pressed up against the buffers and the loco hanging of the end. Mine will be about 8 feet, I think will look quite empty with two short coaches in it.

As for the one on the naughty step. I would get it finished before starting the BWT. I am sure the experience will help no end with the BWT.

Simon, too early with the "craftsmanship clever" vote. Read the edited post above and you'll soon be altering it to "stupid boy".

Well, that's rather frustrating, as it appeared that you had rather neatly sorted a minor toolmaking issue with a bit of deft scalpel-wielding.

What you are now dealing with is a proper cock-up. Small sharp chisel, scalpel, sandpaper, and fit a new rain strip from micro strip?

A technique that I have found to work is to mark the centre and ends with pencil on the roof, and to get a piece of appropriate microstrip, touch down in the centre, with your third hand apply the merest drop of solvent, get the ends in place and secure in the same way, simply sighting the curve by eye. Once it's nicely in place, a more generous brush load of your preferred poison, and Bob's your uncle.

The problem is the length of strip required to do it in one go. I'm sure I got some long strips, neither Slaters, nor Plastruct, and I'm not at home so I can't check, but they weren't half a metre, so for the 70' parcels, I must have joined two strips in the middle. I guess I did it by eye. It was years ago.

I'm sure it'll work out ok.

Best

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Simon. The kit isn't wrong for an as built coach, it's just wrong for the second half of the coach's life.

Will have to have a look in the Sutton Coldfield model shop today to see what lengths of plastic strip he has. I doubt it's any longer than the usual foot lengths though.

While I'm there I'm going to see if he has any 2mm brass L section as I'm going to replace the plastic trusses. They are a tad bendy as it is and are a strong candidate for getting broken.

• RMweb Gold

Have not got the boards yet, but have had instructions which included the need for sanding and painting - didn't realise they were of the 'mandatory H&S, danger of death if you don't' type seriousness...

Also no mention of using an OG substitute for testing / de-splintering.

• RMweb Premium

Hi

You may need to conduct a stock take..

2 sides

1 roof

1 floor

That sort of thing..

Having looked at your photo and reconciled my quick count against a normal coach Bill of materials I am concerned that a major part is missing.

Andy

Dear concerned of Thingy on the Hill

Have found the other bogie...

post-6675-0-85036500-1453247104_thumb.jpg

I hope this settles your mind.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just when I think I've got my 7mm eye in this happens:

attachicon.gifrps20160119_234009.jpg

attachicon.gifrps20160119_233928.jpg

And it's 4mm cousin:

attachicon.gifrps20160119_232703.jpg

It's all so big and chunky!

Just when I think I've got my 7mm eye in this happens:

attachicon.gifrps20160119_234009.jpg

attachicon.gifrps20160119_233928.jpg

And it's 4mm cousin:

attachicon.gifrps20160119_232703.jpg

It's all so big and chunky!

Wowt. That little coach looks like it's 4/7th the length of the big one. You are going to have to get an airbrush sorted.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Confused.com. Maunsell brass coach bogie instructions:

post-6675-0-13217800-1453332352_thumb.jpg

Parts supplied:

post-6675-0-06100000-1453332450.jpg

So has the hornblock changed because I can't see anyway of fitting the hornblock guide into it:

post-6675-0-63294900-1453332545.jpg

And the hornblock on its own seems to work and fit:

post-6675-0-32636600-1453332600.jpg

What's going on??

• RMweb Premium

Confused.com. Maunsell brass coach bogie instructions:

rps20160120_232007.jpg

Parts supplied:

rps20160120_232706.jpg

So has the hornblock changed because I can't see anyway of fitting the hornblock guide into it:

rps20160120_232033.jpg

And the hornblock on its own seems to work and fit:

rps20160120_232101.jpg

What's going on??

Have they changed the spec of the hornblock so the spring locator (?) is now part of the hornblock making the hornblock guide unnecessary?

• RMweb Premium

Have they changed the spec of the hornblock so the spring locator (?) is now part of the hornblock making the hornblock guide unnecessary?

Where they all on the same etch?

Edit.. Don't answer that I've just looked and yes they were.

Andy