Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

If folk are wondering why I've not yet fitted the chalk boards under the windows it's because I couldn't find them on the sprue.

Found them now though, somewhat misformed in between the brake moulding. Looks like I'll be making my own...x8

post-6675-0-99180900-1451821969.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Just a point to note on PMV's, they don't always show up on prototype photo's,but there are two wooden slats across the windows on the inside they are around 6 inches up from the bottom and down from the top, to prevent the load breaking the glass. They are about 3 inches wide and about an 1 1/2 ins thick/

Edit :- for timber dimensions.

Edited by Siberian Snooper

• RMweb Premium

One advantage of having the compensation units removable is that you can work on them away from the rest of the vehicle. Here we are adding the brake assemblies. (right hand set have yet to have the central plastic bar cut out)

post-6675-0-46481100-1451835347_thumb.jpg

As luck (or good design) would have it the brake mouldings are supported on etched extensions on Jim's compensation units.

post-6675-0-27966800-1451835554_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Chris something that puzzles me the Plastic moulding of the end appears to have an area with boltheads around a flat with a hole for the buffer. The buffers also have boltheads so it looks to be a buffer bolted onto a plated bolted to the beam. This doesn't seem right to me (I may well be wrong) I wonder if it was intended for a turned buffer body with no bolt head. I haven't a picture to check.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Those brake blocks look very close to the wheels - is there room for the suspension units to work without binding ?

They are very carefully trimmed from the rear to allow the wheels to move vertically. Don't worry, it's been tested and all is good.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Chris something that puzzles me the Plastic moulding of the end appears to have an area with boltheads around a flat with a hole for the buffer. The buffers also have boltheads so it looks to be a buffer bolted onto a plated bolted to the beam. This doesn't seem right to me (I may well be wrong) I wonder if it was intended for a turned buffer body with no bolt head. I haven't a picture to check.

Don

Fear not Don, I've had a quick look in Mike King's book and Slaters have got it right. Here's a few extracts below (the second is a Lancing variation with additional vertical timbers on the ends).

post-6675-0-26669000-1451842576.jpg

post-6675-0-62667800-1451842592.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Just about run out of plastic bits now, four rain strips and that's it...so on to the etched brass parts.

post-6675-0-90005300-1451842882_thumb.jpg

All the parts have been drilled to take either 30 or 40 thou brass rod as needed, much easier to do while on the fret.

The rectangular parts at the bottom are reinforcing panels not found on the van I'm modelling.

• RMweb Gold

Fear not Don, I've had a quick look in Mike King's book and Slaters have got it right. Here's a few extracts below (the second is a Lancing variation with additional vertical timbers on the ends).

attachicon.gifrps20160103_173116.jpg

attachicon.gifrps20160103_173146.jpg

Just my ignorance then. I assume the inner plate was reinforcement.

Don

• Like 1

Nice build Chris.

I do like these long SR vans. I still need to get one or two. I always have a punt on Ebay when one comes up but they always seem to get silly money.

I had not seen Jims spring units. Do they give you a weight per axle for their best performance.

• RMweb Premium

Nice build Chris.

I do like these long SR vans. I still need to get one or two. I always have a punt on Ebay when one comes up but they always seem to get silly money.

I had not seen Jims spring units. Do they give you a weight per axle for their best performance.

I love these vans too. It was seeing a 7mm one built up at a show and running on a layout that made me take notice of the gauge. Talking to the owner and then handling the van, which had real weight, presence and detail, started me thinking seriously about a gauge change, particularly when seeing the 4mm version back on Treneglos. Since then I always wanted one but at the right price...or a Christmas present, and the kit hasn't disappointed. They are a very well proportioned van IMO and even Chaz could do with one on his layout...

I've not noticed any weights on Jim's destructions but I'm using them passively - axles on the end stops and the springing to push down into dips. There may be more on his website?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris. Your PMV build has come at a very good time for me, as I have an unfinished one that has sat in its box for an embarrassingly long time.

I replaced the Slater's axleguards with my own etches, but then decided they looked too feeble. As an ex P4 Modeller, I had used 12 thou material, whereas something like 18 or 20 thou would have been closer to scale.

Before I'd gotten round to getting some thicker etches done, I discovered that ABS did some suitable and very nicely cast axleguards/springs. However, being a retro fit, I was struggling achieve the necessary springing clearance between the castings and S7 wheels. The Connoisseur suspension units you've used (and which I didn't know existed), are just what I need and I'll be calling Jim to place an order this week!

Here's where mine is at currently....

post-6732-0-57963100-1451907273.jpg

Good luck with the rest of your build and thanks for the inspiration to crack on with mine again.

Regards

Dan

Edited by Dan Randall
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Like the suspension. Van looks excellent

Best

Simon

I've just come off the phone to Jim at Connoisseur, having ordered a couple of sets, one of which is destined for my unfinished PMV (see above post).

I asked Jim if there was a similar suspension system in his range to suit wagons with their smaller wheels and he said the same units could be used on wagons, by simply putting a little packing between the units and the wagon floor, so I feel another order will be placed soon!

Regards

Dan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chris. Your PMV build has come at a very good time for me, as I have an unfinished one that has sat in its box for an embarrassingly long time.

I replaced the Slater's axleguards with my own etches, but then decided they looked too feeble. As an ex P4 Modeller, I had used 12 thou material, whereas something like 18 or 20 thou would have been closer to scale.

Before I'd gotten round to getting some thicker etches done, I discovered that ABS did some suitable and very nicely cast axleguards/springs. However, being a retro fit, I was struggling achieve the necessary springing clearance between the castings and S7 wheels. The Connoisseur suspension units you've used (and which I didn't know existed), are just what I need and I'll be calling Jim to place an order this week!

Here's where mine is at currently....

attachicon.gifSNV33445.JPG

Good luck with the rest of your build and thanks for the inspiration to crack on with mine again.

Regards

Dan

You're welcome Dan, glad my ramblings are useful to somebody.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

First off a big thank you to Dan for the very kind offer of some spare chalk board mouldings to replace the duff ones on my sprue. Very generous.

Now on with the build...

First off the etch was cleaned up using a Garryflex block. I don't recall who recommended these to me but they are fantastic at cleaning up large areas of mucky etch.

post-6675-0-56875000-1451946382_thumb.jpg

The V irons were first fixed, two at each end and two near the centre. My favourite superglue was used for this job.

post-6675-0-64064000-1451946538_thumb.jpg

• Like 5