RMweb

Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

You know what they are....

On a small North Cornish branch line, surely not!!

Andy

Do I need to direct the honourable gentleman to the photo of a Bulleid at Bodmin North?

That's enough of an excuse for me, and I do like them.

I wasn't going to get the wheels for the Bulleid until much later (definitely a long term project) but Slater's prices seem to be increasing and I can only see that situation getting worse as the exchange rate deteriorates and Brexit bites.

Certainly C&L's prices have definitely headed north in the last few years. If only the service at shows had increased by the same proportion. I had a 35 minute wait whilst the proprietor very slowly served the two folk in front of me. Painful to watch and a number of folk walked off not being bothered to wait. No point pre-ordering for collection at the show as the orders are put together at the show whilst you slowly age. Must be costing him a fortune in lost sales, which in turn probably increases prices. He really needs to get organised!

Do I need to direct the honourable gentleman to the photo of a Bulleid at Bodmin North?

That's enough of an excuse for me, and I do like them.

I wasn't going to get the wheels for the Bulleid until much later (definitely a long term project) but Slater's prices seem to be increasing and I can only see that situation getting worse as the exchange rate deteriorates and Brexit bites.

Certainly C&L's prices have definitely headed north in the last few years. If only the service at shows had increased by the same proportion. I had a 35 minute wait whilst the proprietor very slowly served the two folk in front of me. Painful to watch and a number of folk walked off not being bothered to wait. No point pre-ordering for collection at the show as the orders are put together at the show whilst you slowly age. Must be costing him a fortune in lost sales, which in turn probably increases prices. He really needs to get organised!

Phil probably is on his own and it sounds like the person he was serving needed assistance, the simple answer is go back when there is not a queue. I understand how frustrating it is when in a queue and the person is taking ages to be served (often being told the same info several times) but its up to the assistant to ensure the customer understands, and older folk take a bit longer to absorb info

I am afraid that sometimes a customer either needs a help (some pick up the information quicker than others) or wants a chat. There is a very fine line between trying to serve someone quickly and being rude. Also there are time wasters or perhaps the chap is lonely and shows are the only place he can have a chat about the subject he loves.

At shows just go off and do something else and go back at a quieter period

• RMweb Premium

Phil probably is on his own and it sounds like the person he was serving needed assistance, the simple answer is go back when there is not a queue. I understand how frustrating it is when in a queue and the person is taking ages to be served (often being told the same info several times) but its up to the assistant to ensure the customer understands, and older folk take a bit longer to absorb info

I am afraid that sometimes a customer either needs a help (some pick up the information quicker than others) or wants a chat. There is a very fine line between trying to serve someone quickly and being rude. Also there are time wasters or perhaps the chap is lonely and shows are the only place he can have a chat about the subject he loves.

At shows just go off and do something else and go back at a quieter period

I'm sorry but this wasn't a customer issue. The customer had placed a pre-order for 11 items for collection at the show. The customer had paid in advance. All Phil should have had to do was hand over the pre-order. Instead the order hadn't been put together and was put together whilst we all waited. Phil rummaging through his badly organised collection of boxes searching for one item at a time, loosing one's he'd already got out, realising he'd left stock at home and couldn't complete the order, disappearing off to find a till roll, not knowing the prices for anything. Everybody waiting, not just me, was getting exasperated. Phil totally oblivious.

I've observed the stall at many shows and it's always the same. Seldom have I observed the customer causing the issues. There are many other one man bands that carry large stocks of items and they don't seem to have problems serving people.

This wasn't the start of the day but lunchtime when the queue was the shortest I'd seen for a while. Two people in front of me really shouldn't result such a wait. It's down to much faffing around, not being prepared and being totally disorganised. Comments being made by others waiting certainly support this view.

All the other traders I dealt with in that day were able to chat and process multiple sales without issues.

• RMweb Premium

I cant see the corn store, the goods shed, the station building, the waiting room, the distinctive canopy, the cottages, that little hut off Tenko.   That could be Dudley for all I know!!

Andy

Do you not recognise the tree in the background?

• Like 1

I'm sorry but this wasn't a customer issue. The customer had placed a pre-order for 11 items for collection at the show. The customer had paid in advance. All Phill should have had to do was had over the pre-order. Instead the order hadn't been put together and was put together whilst we all waited. Phil rummaging through his badly organised collection of boxes searching for one item at a time, loosing one's he'd already got out, realising he'd left stock at home and couldn't complete the order, disappearing off to find a till roll, not knowing the prices for anything. Everybody waiting, not just me, was getting exasperated. Phil totally oblivious.

I've observed the stall at many shows and it's always the same. Seldom have I observed the customer causing the issues. There are many other one man bands that carry large stocks of items and they don't seem to have problems serving people.

This wasn't the start of the day but lunchtime when the queue was the shortest I'd seen for a while. Two people in front of me really shouldn't result such a wait. It's down to much faffing around, not being prepared and being totally disorganised. Comments being made by others waiting certainly support this view.

All the other traders I dealt with in that day were able to chat and process multiple sales without issues.

OK a mistake had occurred, I was not there but I can imagine how this event has happened, and if he was operating single handed the effect will be magnified.

All I can say is that over the past 4 years with the exception of Railex this year (just before the hand over) the stand has been well stocked, pre orders done and reserve stock in boxes under the stand, sometimes it has taken a bit of searching to find the odd item. But when there are two on the stand one can deal with an extended sale whilst the other does the quick sales

With Phil now running the whole business it is a steep learning curve. Things like this will stick in the mind and hopefully will be avoided in future. Its a big learning curve for him and it will take him time to get both parts of the business working together. Larger shows do need two people on the stand and I guess something he will be thinking about. Normally I would say order in advance, but every now and then things will go wrong. That's life, and when something goes wrong it has a knock on effect. I would guess an hour later he was standing on his own waiting for the next customer

• RMweb Gold

I cant see the corn store, the goods shed, the station building, the waiting room, the distinctive canopy, the cottages, that little hut off Tenko.   That could be Dudley for all I know!!

Andy

Quite why it would go to Dudley to be named Bodmin escapes me.

Regarding the poor service, surely the whole idea of pre-ordering for collection is to make sure all the bits are in stock and packed ready for collection. It is all very well saying why not go off and come back when its quieter but if you come back to find that some of the stuff you wanted has now sold out it doesn't help.

Don

• RMweb Premium

OK a mistake had occurred, I was not there but I can imagine how this event has happened, and if he was operating single handed the effect will be magnified.

All I can say is that over the past 4 years with the exception of Railex this year (just before the hand over) the stand has been well stocked, pre orders done and reserve stock in boxes under the stand, sometimes it has taken a bit of searching to find the odd item. But when there are two on the stand one can deal with an extended sale whilst the other does the quick sales

With Phil now running the whole business it is a steep learning curve. Things like this will stick in the mind and hopefully will be avoided in future. Its a big learning curve for him and it will take him time to get both parts of the business working together. Larger shows do need two people on the stand and I guess something he will be thinking about. Normally I would say order in advance, but every now and then things will go wrong. That's life, and when something goes wrong it has a knock on effect. I would guess an hour later he was standing on his own waiting for the next customer

We have obviously continually had very different experiences then. Since Phil has taken over, even when there have been two on the stand, buying anything has been a very protracted experience.

Not having the pre-order ready wasn't a mistake, I got the impression that none of the pre-orders was put together. The chap after me had ordered well in advance and his wasn't done either.

I've no axe to grind, the products are great but in the last two years I have yet to experience quick service. I wish him well, and want the range to continue going from strength to strength, but customer service really needs tightening up.

• RMweb Premium

Quite why it would go to Dudley to be named Bodmin escapes me.

Regarding the poor service, surely the whole idea of pre-ordering for collection is to make sure all the bits are in stock and packed ready for collection. It is all very well saying why not go off and come back when its quieter but if you come back to find that some of the stuff you wanted has now sold out it doesn't help.

Don

Indeed, the whole point of the pre-order and collection at show is that it should make everybodies life easier. Something that is sorted out in advance and saving hassle for both parties. I pre-ordered a load of stuff about a year ago for collection at the show. Wasn't ready, told to come back in an hour. After over an hour later it still wasn't ready. If it was a one off I wouldn't have mentioned it, everybody makes mistakes and has an off day. My recent experience is far from a one off and it's getting annoying.

• RMweb Premium

Andy

This good enough Banks?

Station, canopy, goods shed, signal box, bridge and tree. All plus a Bulleid. Convinced? ;-p

post-6675-0-29778300-1504446634_thumb.jpg

See how popular Spams are...

• Like 4

We have obviously continually had very different experiences then. Since Phil has taken over, even when there have been two on the stand, buying anything has been a very protracted experience.

Not having the pre-order ready wasn't a mistake, I got the impression that none of the pre-orders was put together. The chap after me had ordered well in advance and his wasn't done either.

I've no axe to grind, the products are great but in the last two years I have yet to experience quick service. I wish him well, and want the range to continue going from strength to strength, but customer service really needs tightening up.

Totally agree with you pre-orders must be made up prior to a show, this has been done in the past and was 100% achieved at the shows I attended. The past 2 years I have helped out at the larger shows in the SE, I do not recognise your observations. At these shows stock levels of both C&L & Exactoscale have been high, there have been minor periods when both of us have been busy but in the main folk were served quickly. I will add I have not been to any 7 mm shows, so if Phil has been on his own he may have struggled. Also since Railex I have not attended any shows, so your knowledge of these shows is far better than mine about the service

At Railex( which was during the closed down period) agreed the supplies were slightly down in a couple of areas, only at a few periods were there queues but no complaints. We were very busy on the Saturday but that was expected owing to the lack of mail order at that time, and as far as I am concerned no one went away without being served over the weekend. . Sadly this year I will not be at Expo hopefully Phil will be able to arrange assistance.

Please bear in mind this is period of a steep learning curve for Phil while he adjusts to both running the day to day business plus attend shows at weekends, in the past he only had to concentrate on preparing for the shows. Now is quite different and I am certain he will learn from his mistakes, I will have a chat with him and carefully relay the feedback, however there may well have been problems outside his control prior to the show which caused these issues. 

• RMweb Premium

Totally agree with you pre-orders must be made up prior to a show, this has been done in the past and was 100% achieved at the shows I attended. The past 2 years I have helped out at the larger shows in the SE, I do not recognise your observations. At these shows stock levels of both C&L & Exactoscale have been high, there have been minor periods when both of us have been busy but in the main folk were served quickly. I will add I have not been to any 7 mm shows, so if Phil has been on his own he may have struggled. Also since Railex I have not attended any shows, so your knowledge of these shows is far better than mine about the service

At Railex( which was during the closed down period) agreed the supplies were slightly down in a couple of areas, only at a few periods were there queues but no complaints. We were very busy on the Saturday but that was expected owing to the lack of mail order at that time, and as far as I am concerned no one went away without being served over the weekend. . Sadly this year I will not be at Expo hopefully Phil will be able to arrange assistance.

Please bear in mind this is period of a steep learning curve for Phil while he adjusts to both running the day to day business plus attend shows at weekends, in the past he only had to concentrate on preparing for the shows. Now is quite different and I am certain he will learn from his mistakes, I will have a chat with him and carefully relay the feedback, however there may well have been problems outside his control prior to the show which caused these issues.

Stock levels don't appear to be the problem, it's Phil remembering to pack everything and then knowing where it is on the stand. I really hope you do pass on the comments and he does learn from the feedback as he is loosing valuable custom with his current haphazard approach.

Did it go there any other time than for the naming?

Obviously your spam will have to be Pencarrow

Don

Bodmin North only once. Pencarrow on multiple occasions obviously...
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This good enough Banks?

Station, canopy, goods shed, signal box, bridge and tree. All plus a Bulleid. Convinced? ;-p

attachicon.gifrps20170903_144810.jpg

See how popular Spams are...

ok

I can see that is Bodmin at Bodmin.

As for all those people I suspect they have heard that something was being given away for free...   pasties, Scones etc, that aught to get em out

Andy....

• RMweb Premium

Andy

Has to be in Cornwall, you don't get that much sunshine in Dudley!

• RMweb Premium

ok

I can see that is Bodmin at Bodmin.

As for all those people I suspect they have heard that something was being given away for free...   pasties, Scones etc, that aught to get em out

Andy....

Someone who I won't name has PM'd me to suggest that it's the queue at a certain trader's stall...

• Like 1

Poor old Phil, I must really stick up for the poor chap, he did have my order ready although it was only two items. But he was on his own and he said he was still packing the stock to bring to the show at 2 in the morning.

Ok so he could of prepared a bit earlier, but I honestly reckon he did not realise just how many folk were in need of his supplies, he was overwhelmed.

When Pete owned C&L he always came to the shows with at least one but usually two helpers, Phil will definitely need some help in future, the poor sod kept losing his price list but I'm sure once he's up and running things will settle down. What with all the 4mm stock this business is vast and a lot for one chap to take on, but I wish him well.

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 1