RMweb

Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Poor old Phil, I must really stick up for the poor chap, he did have my order ready although it was only two items. But he was on his own and he said he was still packing the stock to bring to the show at 2 in the morning.

Ok so he could of prepared a bit earlier, but I honestly reckon he did not realise just how many folk were in need of his supplies, he was overwhelmed.

When Pete owned C&L he always came to the shows with at least one but usually two helpers, Phil will definitely need some help in future, the poor sod kept losing his price list but I'm sure once he's up and running things will settle down. What with all the 4mm stock this business is vast and a lot for one chap to take on, but I wish him well.

Martyn.

Let's be careful here chaps. Some of what's being said might result in Phil (whom I do not know by the way) just stopping going to shows altogether.

Stock levels don't appear to be the problem, it's Phil remembering to pack everything and then knowing where it is on the stand. I really hope you do pass on the comments and he does learn from the feedback as he is loosing valuable custom with his current haphazard approach.

Bodmin North only once. Pencarrow on multiple occasions obviously...

Thanks for the comments, as I said Railex was the last show I attended and from memory it was only a couple 4mm scale components with issues, 7mm was fine. I have no idea what happened since and can only guess its getting the balance between running the day to day business and preparing for the show. What has happened (and will in the future) is certain items have a run on, and sell out, these items do vary and from experience levels of such items are increased

As I have said, I have no idea what happened at shows I have not attended, however your sweeping statement about stock and service standards over the past 2 years could not be further from the truth at the (larger SE) shows which I have attended during that period, especially with pre-paid sales.

Thanks again and I will have a chat with Phil later in the week

• RMweb Premium

Poor old Phil, I must really stick up for the poor chap, he did have my order ready although it was only two items. But he was on his own and he said he was still packing the stock to bring to the show at 2 in the morning.

Ok so he could of prepared a bit earlier, but I honestly reckon he did not realise just how many folk were in need of his supplies, he was overwhelmed.

When Pete owned C&L he always came to the shows with at least one but usually two helpers, Phil will definitely need some help in future, the poor sod kept losing his price list but I'm sure once he's up and running things will settle down. What with all the 4mm stock this business is vast and a lot for one chap to take on, but I wish him well.

Martyn.

I'll just reiterate what I said above:

I've no axe to grind, the products are great but in the last two years I have yet to experience quick service. I wish him well, and want the range to continue going from strength to strength, but customer service really needs tightening up.

• RMweb Premium

Been looking around on line this evening for a purveyor of Tortoise point motors that has them in stock and isn't asking almost £20 a shot!

I'm sure you used to be able to get them for around a Tenner each. Something else that I've found that's almost doubled in price since 2010!

Any recommendations out there for a supplier?

(before folk suggest it I don't want DCC Concepts cobalts nor servos)

• RMweb Premium

Been looking around on line this evening for a purveyor of Tortoise point motors that has them in stock and isn't asking almost £20 a shot!

I'm sure you used to be able to get them for around a Tenner each. Something else that I've found that's almost doubled in price since 2010!

Any recommendations out there for a supplier?

(before folk suggest it I don't want DCC Concepts cobalts nor servos)

As a matter of interest Chris, why don't you want Cobalts?

• RMweb Premium

As a matter of interest Chris, why don't you want Cobalts?

Direct evidence from using them on another group layout and anecdotal evidence from others has left me with the distinct impression that they are not as well made or reliable as the Tortoise. Tortoise have been used on many of the other layouts I've worked on or exhibited with and have never missed a beat. Plus I've already bought the mounting plates and edge connectors.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Direct evidence from using them on another group layout and anecdotal evidence from others has left me with the distinct impression that they are not as well made or reliable as the Tortoise. Tortoise have been used on many of the other layouts I've worked on or exhibited with and have never missed a beat. Plus I've already bought the mounting plates and edge connectors.

Fair enough. I think that the latest Cobalt IP versions are considerably more reliable than the earlier ones but if you've already got the Tortoise bits it makes sense to use them.

• RMweb Premium

Fair enough. I think that the latest Cobalt IP versions are considerably more reliable than the earlier ones but if you've already got the Tortoise bits it makes sense to use them.

Problem is that looking around lots of shops nobody seems to have any. Is there a supply issue I wonder? Perhaps Trump has banned exports??

I bought mine from Tony's Train Xchange. It was a few years back, I think they cost around £12 each then, I got a box of them, but of course, that was back in the days when the pound was worth more than a Euro.

https://tonystrains.com/product/circuitron-800-6012-tortoise-switch-machine-12-pack/. Currently $166. Not sure what shipping would cost, say £25? I suspect they might be duty free but add VAT at 20%, exchange rate is currently 1.30, so you might get them for around £15 each. Note the RRP is $245 for 12.

Servos and Arduinos are the future, Save the Tortoise!

Best

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Just noted the Cobalt IP are more expensive than the Tortoise as well, so that's another reason.

• RMweb Premium

Ah, this takes me back - my first trainset...

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_details.asp?itemid=356

Actually my first was a Intercity 125 set, but it was faulty, didn't work and got exchanged for the Duchess set.

Amazingly, this does mean that this Christmas I've been playing with model trains for 40 years.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Actually my first was a Intercity 125 set, but it was faulty, didn't work and got exchanged for the Duchess set.

Amazingly, this does mean that this Christmas I've been playing with model trains for 40 years.

I also had the coronation.  Southerland I think, awful tender drive.   Three of those short coaches with the shiny silver roofs

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I also had the coronation.  Southerland I think, awful tender drive.   Three of those short coaches with the shiny silver roofs

Andy

That's the one!

Later got a crimson Jinty, crimson Fowler tank, Airfix 4f plus the usual Birds Eye, Prime Pork, Norstand, etc wagons. Happy days.

Problem is that looking around lots of shops nobody seems to have any. Is there a supply issue I wonder? Perhaps Trump has banned exports??

If all else fails, let me know and I can get some for you over here in the US and mail them over to the UK (or send them back with my parents when they visit next week).

I get mine from MB Klein, as it is just down the road from me. They have plenty in stock and will ship overseas to the UK. Sale price of $90 USD for a pack of six. http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Circuitron-800-6006-Tortoise-Switch-Machine-Value-p/cir-800-6006.htm

Edited by PhilMortimer
  • Like 1

Oh dear that makes me feel old. My first was Nellie a plain circle of track and a few wagons. That would have been early sixties. So over 50 for me.

• Like 2

As I mentioned elsewhere, my first train set was a second hand Dublo 3-rail Dutchess of Atholl with 3 plus a working mail coach.

Despite my preference for dark green locomotives, I'd still like one in 7mm, smoke deflectors, red... STOPPIT!

Best

Simon

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear that makes me feel old. My first was Nellie a plain circle of track and a few wagons. That would have been early sixties. So over 50 for me.

You feel old my first was an 0 gauge Hornby clockwork 0-4-0T. This was later replaced with a Tri-ang jinty goods set Nellie hadn't been introduced then

Don

• Like 3

As I mentioned elsewhere, my first train set was a second hand Dublo 3-rail Dutchess of Atholl with 3 plus a working mail coach.

Despite my preference for dark green locomotives, I'd still like one in 7mm, smoke deflectors, red... STOPPIT!

Best

Simon

Go on you know red is the new green.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Apart from Dad's aborted layout in the garage, my first train set was laid on an old carpet in the garden, Super 4 track laid in two circuits, with inclines and overbridge, loops for the platforms, sidings and a Hornby turntable. All laid out, played with and put away in the same day. Trains were Nellie ( vs Dock Shunter when racing), Blue Pullman, Princess Elizabeth, Flying Scotsman with chuff-chuff sound and various other locos of the day.

Thinking back, only about 40-odd years ago...

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 2