RMweb

Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Something Damian did to the Tortoise point motors on Treneglos was to bypass the internal frog switches and attach an external microswitch. These worked faultlessly during around 40ish shows.

I was reminded of this when preparing Treneglos for sale and then last week I stumbled upon an article in MRJ 252 showing how to do it. Out of pure chance I had some left over aluminium angle (not sure why) so placed an order for the rest of the nuts, bolts and switches. These arrived a day later!

So here we have 1no modified Tortoise...

post-6675-0-92021300-1519156766_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-63290500-1519156780_thumb.jpg

Warning, this does invalidate the warranty.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif rps20180218_202846.jpg

No, that's not right either...

Gone wrong with your 'forced perspective' .....

Something Damian did to the Tortoise point motors on Treneglos was to bypass the internal frog switches and attach an external microswitch. These worked faultlessly during around 40ish shows.

I was reminded of this when preparing Treneglos for sale and then last week I stumbled upon an article in MRJ 252 showing how to do it. Out of pure chance I had some left over aluminium angle (not sure why) so placed an order for the rest of the nuts, bolts and switches. These arrived a day later!

attachicon.gifrps20180220_195207.jpg

attachicon.gifrps20180220_195320.jpg

Chaz of Dock Green fame has done something similar I believe

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I take it you've had experience of the internal switch failing ?

I don't remember if any actually failed on Treneglos but it certainly seems reasonably common not to rely on the internal wiper connections for switching.

It’s certainly robust, but I honestly doubt it’s necessary.

Admittedly, I’ve never built or maintained an exhibition layout, so the level of work my Tortoises have had to endure is clearly rather less, but the Greater Windowledge existed from around 1998 or 9, until two years back, and they are now giving sterling service on Porth Dinllaen.

I’d not bother. The chances of having to fix one are slim, and the time necessary to do so, if it is necessary, will probably be less than the time you’re investing now. Build models, it’s more fun! (And the photos are better) :)

(I’ll add two caveats*. Firstly, be careful if you use stiffer wire, that the motor has travelled the full stroke, and secondly, make sure you do not have an electrical load on the frog when you change the point - this shouldn’t happen, but anyway...)

(I think a caveat is like a guinea pig, only smaller)

Best

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It’s certainly robust, but I honestly doubt it’s necessary.

Admittedly, I’ve never built or maintained an exhibition layout, so the level of work my Tortoises have had to endure is clearly rather less, but the Greater Windowledge existed from around 1998 or 9, until two years back, and they are now giving sterling service on Porth Dinllaen.

I’d not bother. The chances of having to fix one are slim, and the time necessary to do so, if it is necessary, will probably be less than the time you’re investing now. Build models, it’s more fun! (And the photos are better) :)

(I’ll add two caveats*. Firstly, be careful if you use stiffer wire, that the motor has travelled the full stroke, and secondly, make sure you do not have an electrical load on the frog when you change the point - this shouldn’t happen, but anyway...)

(I think a caveat is like a guinea pig, only smaller)

Best

Simon

My theory is that belt and braces now will mean I won't have to touch or work on the elements of layout building I don't enjoy at a later stage. I'm going for fit and forget on the electrical and mechanical bits.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Gone wrong with your 'forced perspective' .....

Chaz of Dock Green fame has done something similar I believe

I think Chaz used relays to do the switching.

I wonder whether the original ones were more reliable. I had no trouble with those on Sparrow's Wharf bought about 97 and never heard of others having problems either. It has only been in more recent times that I have heard of problems.

Like Simon I do think ensuring quite a lot of travel makes sense. I used a stiffer operating wire for 0 gauge but was not so stiff that it didn't bend. That way I could get good travel of the operating arm and enough tension to hold the blades over.

That said if Chris is happy to add microswitches it his choice. How easy is it to swap microswitches?

I am planning to experiment with servos with the fancy electrics removed using the bendy operating arm and hoping the gearing can maintain sufficient tension. It will need a microswitch added though. The switch will be a biased one so the power will not be left on.

Don

Edited by Donw
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifrps20180220_195207.jpg

attachicon.gifrps20180220_195320.jpg

presumably you have had to open the thing up to get those bolts in place?

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I think Chaz used relays to do the switching.

I wonder whether the original ones were more reliable. I had no trouble with those on Sparrow's Wharf bought about 97 and never heard of others having problems either. It has only been in more recent times that I have heard of problems.

Like Simon I do think ensuring quite a lot of travel makes sense. I used a stiffer operating wire for 0 gauge but was not so stiff that it didn't bend. That way I could get good travel of the operating arm and enough tension to hold the blades over.

That said if Chris is happy to add microswitches it his choice. How easy is it to swap microswitches?

I am planning to experiment with servos with the fancy electrics removed using the bendy operating arm and hoping the gearing can maintain sufficient tension. It will need a microswitch added though. The switch will be a biased one so the power will not be left on.

Don

Morning Don,

I've a fair mixture of Tortoise point motors. Two I got about 15yrs ago, 4 I acquired 2nd hand from an RMwebber and 6 which are brand new which I imported direct from USA with the help of another RMwebber. I've heard conflicting reports as to whether the new or old ones are more reliable.

Having opened few of these up now I can see that the internal switching relies on a series of delicate wipers running across internal contact tracks. From examining these parts it's clear that there is some variation in how well aligned the wipers are with the tracks. I can definitely see how an intermittent fault could develop if the wipers were out of line or the tracks were dirty. The potential is supported by the text in the MRJ article.

As I said, I'm going for belt and braces in the underboard goings on and therefore was happy to remove a potential future source of annoying faults at this stage. I could be wasting my time as Simon thinks and the internal switching could be fine on the Tortoises over the life of the layout.

As it is, the addition of the external microswitch is fairly straightforward to do and I'm happy to do them as a hospital job when I have a half hour spare. I might think differently if I had a 100 rather than 10 to do though!

To answer your question, the external microswitch would be easy to replace. Two bolts and three wires. In practice though I'd just drop out the entire Tortoise unit and replace with a spare and then sort the fault out on the workbench.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

presumably you have had to open the thing up to get those bolts in place?

Andy

Yes, you have to open the unit to get the bolts in place. The position of the bolts is reasonably critical too to avoid the internal circuit board. I'll take a photo or two tonight.

Even if I wasn't going to fit the external microswitches I'd still open up the unit to check / correct the alignment of the internal wipers on the tracks.

• RMweb Premium

Simon, you stated two caveats:

I get the first but don't follow the second. By load on the frog do you mean a loco with motor running?

• RMweb Premium

I take it you've had experience of the internal switch failing ?

Interesting that a quick search this morning has a fair few results on the internal switching reliability...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/46870-tortoise-problem-internal-switching/

https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=360

As ever with these things though, the various threads seem to quickly turn into a spat between the various pro and con factions...

• RMweb Premium

As ever with these things though, the various threads seem to quickly turn into a spat between the various pro and con factions...

What a stupid opinion!

This thread is worryingly like a relationship at times. One minute everything is pretty cosy, pleasant to look at etc then suddenly, from no where, I’m in all sorts of trouble, completely out of my depth and hoping If I close my eyes it will all go away.

I’m still getting used to the idea I need to make points, I’m not ready to worry about loading frogs when I rebuild point motors yet!

• RMweb Gold

What a stupid opinion!

This thread is worryingly like a relationship at times. One minute everything is pretty cosy, pleasant to look at etc then suddenly, from no where, I’m in all sorts of trouble, completely out of my depth and hoping If I close my eyes it will all go away.

I’m still getting used to the idea I need to make points, I’m not ready to worry about loading frogs when I rebuild point motors yet!

I think it is really inappropriate for you to describe someone else's opinion as stupid, worse still on the person's own layout thread. You may not agree with it, but you don't have the right to call it stupid

• RMweb Premium

I think it is really inappropriate for you to describe someone else's opinion as stupid, worse still on the person's own layout thread. You may not agree with it, but you don't have the right to call it stupid

It was a joke - referring to the way the spats mentioned develop - but total apologies to anyone if that wasn’t clear!

Edited by Hal Nail