Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

I think it would be part of the installation to ensure the both switched the same way. Doing anything else will prevent the layout working, and may actually cause the damage you’re trying to prevent. Once that’s done, the precise timing of switching is largely irrelevant, and it would be more reliable to have them in parallel.

A principle in reliability/safety engineering is to avoid “single points of failure”, which this would do.

But you’ve still got only one green wire....

Best

Simon

Where can I get those? Look great.

Chris, they are actually sold as wall light switches and called... Guess what ?

Yep, Frankenstein Switches !

Buzz

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks both.

I've found a Parkside kit in 00 but, unless I've missed it, not an equivalent in the 0 gauge range. Anyone know of an alternative?

Like the look of it, quite distinctive.

scratch build, scratch build, scratch build...   sorry I got carried away

You could scratch build it.

Andy

Martyn,

“No”

:)

(Relays have a coil like a solenoid but with a much higher impedance, so they draw very little current when on. This attracts a pole piece which operates the contacts like a switch. So they do have moving parts. You can buy solid state relays which are fancy transistors [sort of] and they don’t have moving parts but are more pricy. Microswitches have a neat spring arrangement which means they operate very suddenly & quickly when pushed far enough which tends to prevent arcing. You can sometimes feel it on ones with a lever)

Best

Simon

Hi Simon,

So the main difference between the relays and the micro switches is that the micro switch is operated though a lever or similar whereas a relay is operated through the voltage sent to the terminals?

Regards,

Martyn.

Hi Simon,

So the main difference between the relays and the micro switches is that the micro switch is operated though a lever or similar whereas a relay is operated through the voltage sent to the terminals?

Regards,

Martyn.

Martyn

“Yes”

:)

Simon

Wikipedia is your friend !! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relay

Edited by Simond

• RMweb Premium

Yep, plywood = no scribing planks.

Ive got the ply..

I've gone for 6mm, I thought the 10mm was over the top.

The chap in B&Q was not happy to cut such relatively small pieces and he said he couldn't do the curved ends.  Pahh, I've got a file, we'll be ok.  

There is quite a lot of the 8' x 4' sheet left over

Andy

• Like 1