Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

But will he be asleep before it collapses? 

I now need a suitable Old Gringo figure for the deck chair. Mustache, knotted hanky on head, cup of tea in one hand, biscuits in the other... 

My only gripe is that I wish there were more compensators on the etch, horizontal version of course.

Still that little lot will keep your fingers singed for a good while : )

Martyn.

• RMweb Premium

get 'im scanned!

There would be no problem getting him to stay still for the scan, the issue would be getting him to the scan. We'd have to lay a trail of biscuits and suitably obscure books to tempt him along...

• RMweb Premium

There would be no problem getting him to stay still for the scan, the issue would be getting him to the scan. We'd have to lay a trail of biscuits and suitably obscure books to tempt him along...

Ah yes, I hadn't factored that in.

Perhaps you could launch a Kickstarter to pay Modelu to visit him, disguised as a really interesting mobile bookshop with excellent biscuits...

hang on, The Titfield Thunderbolt is a really interesting bookshop etc etc

Maybe Simon might be interested in going half's on a van ? ;)

Edited by Tim Dubya

• RMweb Premium

You should see the 2mm ones. On second thoughts perhaps seeing them would be a problem.

Don

I've also ordered a small selection of WR 3d printed ones from Modelu for comparison with the brass SR ones.

With all the SR-WR boundary changes that happened in the West Country I'm sure I can argue for a mixture of the two types?

I'm still looking for a good, clear photo of the SR type of rodding stool. Would be good to see what they look like for comparison with the etch.

• RMweb Gold

Best image I can find is this extract from a photo from southern signals by OPC. Hope it helps.

Modelu do a BR one (ex LMS) which presumably could turn up anywhere post 1948 with appropriate modellers licence.

post-12721-0-16713800-1523024220_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Best image I can find is this extract from a photo from southern signals by OPC. Hope it helps.

Modelu do a BR one (ex LMS) which presumably could turn up anywhere post 1948 with appropriate modellers licence.

attachicon.gif2018-04-06_14.59.39.jpg

Good find that man. I've been looking but they always seen to be in shade, behind something or too far away!

The Modelu options are:

post-6675-0-97939700-1523025887_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-14593100-1523025903_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I know LSWR/SR used round bar, GWR used square I do believe, what did LMS/BR use?

I can definitely see square rodding (inverted U) at Bodmin North.

The rodding stools in Colin's photo are definitely LSWR/SR in so much that they match the etch I bought. The etch is decidedly flat though (misses the relief of the end castings) and it looks like top rollers are missing above the bar.

Modelu offer the GWR intype in square or round rodding variants.

Early GWR rodding was round, and some lasted to the end like at Dymock on the daffodil line.

Most was replaced with the " U" shape as it had less flex than the round rods.

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link

I can definitely see square rodding (inverted U) at Bodmin North.

The rodding stools in Colin's photo are definitely LSWR/SR in so much that they match the etch I bought. The etch is decidedly flat though (misses the relief of the end castings) and it looks like top rollers are missing above the bar.

Modelu offer the GWR intype in square or round rodding variants.

I've purchased my square rodding from MSE, which fits the Modelu stools exactly.

I've also used the etch for the cranks and compensators from MSE as well.

Jinty ;)

• RMweb Premium

I've purchased my square rodding from MSE, which fits the Modelu stools exactly.

Jinty ;)

Thanks Jints, rodding needs to be on my shopping list too, going to be a bit pointless installing the rodding stools without it!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jints, rodding needs to be on my shopping list too, going to be a bit pointless installing the rodding stools without it!

And just paid Wizard Andrew some money. Hopefully the rodding etc will be magically transported shortly.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not much in the way of modelling posts of late but I have been occupied working out all the point rodding stuff and finding photos of what it all looks like. Big thanks to Mike Stationmaster who has been a massive help behind the scenes offering advice and experience.

This afternoon I've been starting to put together a representation of the FPL and FPL Bar on the entry to the station. The added complication is keeping everything electrically isolated to stop the track shorting. Bah!

No photos yet as I know you all find this stuff dull.

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty,

Any chance of putting a picture of the MSE etch up on here, be interesting to see what is included.

End of hijack.

Martyn.