Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Bits of wires chucked at the board, some stuck, some even in the right places...

post-6675-0-03805800-1521321744_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-81302700-1521321764_thumb.jpg

And a chunk later...

post-6675-0-75177900-1521321805_thumb.jpg

Over halfway... (lots of tidying up to do)

post-6675-0-44228000-1521321820_thumb.jpg

Best quit whilst I'm ahead, before I try and solder my fingers again.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Simple, this DCC method...

Could be a lot simpler if:

~I hadn't split the layout into 5 separate boards

~I hadn't decided I wanted the option to use either DC or DCC

~I hadn't split the track into 12 sections

~I'd used DCC only and used the bus to send the commands to chipped point motors

~I'd stuck to playing with the Brio version...

• RMweb Premium

I've not heard a convincing argument that droppers are needed for DCC, when DC relies on just fishplates.

Is the 16v ac signal that delicate?

DC doesn't rely on just fishplates, well not any layout I've helped with. We've always gone for two droppers per length of rail, DC or DCC doesn't matter.

The bog standard Peco type fishplates loosen over time and then you get dead sections and intermittent power losses. A soldered wire connection is much more reliable, two per rail significantly reduces the chances of any power loss due to a wire coming off (unless your soldering is rubbish).

It would never have been "just two wires" and there probably wouldn't be that many fewer droppers.

There's still loads of people who still bang on about how easy DCC is as it only has two wires. I still have to see one.

Keep up the good work. The singed fingers soon get better or used to it.

• RMweb Premium

post-6675-0-23652400-1521324703.jpg

There are 4 point motors on this board, two are for the double slip. Next to where each one is going I've put a 5-way connector block. This will ease fitting the tortoise and any replacement if needed.

There are two blue wires - to switch the point motor left and right. These go back to the control panel.

A black and red wire which are the track feeds into the microswitch.

A green wire which is the output from the microswitch to the turnout crossing.

• RMweb Premium

This photo shows the benefits of making a layout in separate sections.

post-6675-0-42532800-1521325381_thumb.jpg

Makes moving the layout easy / possible. The boards can be easily turned to give access to all sides. The boards can be turned over to make access for wiring easier - I wouldn't like to be doing the wiring on my back under the board!

The far board has been rotated to give better access to the rear edge.

• Like 5

With your recent bad luck, think you'd better step away from anything sharp, hot or chemically. ;-p

Erm.... would I be safe on that step ?

• RMweb Gold

On a small simple layout DC can be simple to wire, but on a larger layout where there can be long runs back to a control panel DC can be messy. However to worry about how much wire is needed misses the salient point. With DCC there are two major advantages one is that because you control each loco directly rather than by controlling track section it is infinitely more flexible. The other factor is one can forget about electrical sections. it becomes much more like the prototype. When you open the throttle (controller) only the selected loco responds when you close it the loco stops. No other loco is affected. You do need to check the road is set and signals may be needed, but that is true of the prototype.

Don 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There's still loads of people who still bang on about how easy DCC is as it only has two wires. I still have to see one.

Keep up the good work. The singed fingers soon get better or used to it.

There are only two wires, whether in DC or DCC. One runs between the controller and one rail, while the other runs between the controller and the other rail. The difference is in the number of parts each wire is divided into and the number of extra bits connected to each wire.

• Like 2

Being that I've been in this hobby for so long and the fact that the layout I'm building is still my first using DCC, I still find it magical that you can buffer up to another loco without them both running off together !! ( How sad ).

Also in my opinion the slow running is so much smoother, and being 7mm it gives that sense of weight and inertia.

Keep up the good work Chris.

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link

• RMweb Premium

Seen some stills on facebook today and it looks like the 2CV yours is based on will be featuring on Top Gear tonight, they must have bought it through Ebay as that's where I got the photos I used.

I hope they look after it!

• RMweb Premium

Managed a few more hours on the board 3 wires. All finished now, apart from the simple(?) job of adding four point motors...

post-6675-0-91063600-1521405379_thumb.jpg

Spent a little while doing a spot of tidying. I did remember to leave the area for the point motors and signal(s) free of wires. Must be something I've forgotten though...

• Like 3