Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Thought it would make a nice change and an introduction to 7mm scratchbuilding to have a crack at a building for the future layout. The subject is the Wenford Bridge Goods Depot.

post-6675-0-16968800-1368813506_thumb.jpg

I've used the Gimp software to correct the perspective and put a grid over the top set at 6" centers. I've done a bit of working out and the building appears to have a 10' x 15' footprint and a base to top of roof-pitch height of 11'. 

• Like 1

Thought it would make a nice change and an introduction to 7mm scratchbuilding to have a crack at a building for the future layout. The subject is the Wenford Bridge Goods Depot.

attachicon.gifScreenHunter_01 May. 17 18.54.jpg

I've used the Gimp software to correct the perspective and put a grid over the top set at 6" centers. I've done a bit of working out and the building appears to have a 10' x 15' footprint and a base to top of roof-pitch height of 11'. 

Can you work out the frame size of the bicycle using that fancy software?

• RMweb Premium

Looking at various photos of the building it looks to me as though it has a cement render finish for the main structure. My plan is to make up the main box structure from plasticard, give it a coat of paint and then sprinkle on a good layer of talc to give it some texture.

What have others done in this scale for a similar finish?

The other question I have regards the roofing material. This looks to me like corrugated asbestos sheeting. There's 10 strips of this along the length of the building and I'm guessing each is 18" wide, giving a building length of 15', which feels about right to me. So the question is, who makes this sort of corrugated sheet in 7mm?

Any help appreciated.

• RMweb Gold

I thought it was taken through a wire mesh fence...

You can get a printed version: http://www.railwayscenics.com/asbestos-roofing-in-7mm-ft-o-scale-p-201.html?pID=201 or apparently the Ambis 4mm corrugated iron sheeting will fit: http://www.ambisengineering.co.uk/EIW.pdf

Different type of sheet, it's this type as seen on the sides of WW2 prefabs - less corrugations = less material, hopefully still strong enough.

• RMweb Premium

I thought it was taken through a wire mesh fence...

Different type of sheet, it's this type as seen on the sides of WW2 prefabs - less corrugations = less material, hopefully still strong enough.

Always the comedian Paul!

Looking again at the roof pictures this morning, I'm now wondering if it could actually be a felt roof with wooden batons. Not sure... 

post-6675-0-60215000-1368860830.jpg

There seems to be a horizontal seam about 2/5ths up the roof, just about the stove pipe. This, in my mind, is perhaps a lap in the roofing material and the thickness of the lap looks too thin for a asbestos sheet. I've also just noticed that the roof panel around the stove pipe looks like it could be metal sheet.

If it were asbestos, then the closest profile I can find is the 'Bantile' found at the bottom of this web page.

• RMweb Premium

You can get a printed version: http://www.railwayscenics.com/asbestos-roofing-in-7mm-ft-o-scale-p-201.html?pID=201 or apparently the Ambis 4mm corrugated iron sheeting will fit: http://www.ambisengineering.co.uk/EIW.pdf

I'm not sure I could get away with using printed papers for a corrugated material in 7mm - a bit too flat. I like the Ambis sheet though - it will be ideal for corrugated iron on another project in the wings....

Regarding corrugated metal profiles - I've just found this very useful site.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Those do look like asbestos panels that I have seen on Prefabs. If these were either 6ft or 8ft sheets there would be a horizontal overlap.

Platiscard with suitable strips running down?

Don

Mornin' Dave...

Something like this???

attachicon.gifasbbantile.jpg

...looks good Chris...I seem to remember that the joins were just as the ridges curved back towards the roof...that allowed for an overlap with a turned in/down join. 

Dave

• RMweb Premium

...looks good Chris...I seem to remember that the joins were just as the ridges curved back towards the roof...that allowed for an overlap with a turned in/down join. 

Dave

The ridges in the photo do appear very square though....

...the overlaps/joins may just be on the far side of the ridges to the camera. Such rooves certainly weren't formed of one piece of asbestos on each side of the apex...that would be much too fragile and a nightmare to position and secure in breezy conditions.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

...the overlaps/joins may just be on the far side of the ridges to the camera. Such rooves certainly weren't formed of one piece of asbestos on each side of the apex...that would be much too fragile and a nightmare to position and secure in breezy conditions.

Dave

Trouble is finding a good quality images of the building - this is a crop of one of the few showing the other side of the depot. Not clear...

post-6675-0-65383100-1368865180.jpg

• RMweb Premium

My first thought was that it is a batten and felt roof....but im only on a small screened lap-top so dont take my word for it ;)

Just re-gone through my pile of reference books and all the corrugated types (iron and asbestos) on other localish buildings are a more typical close spaced ridge and trough. The other roofs that have a similar appearance are clearly batten and felt. 

I'm 50/50 at the moment - but can feel the start of leanings towards batten and felt the more research I do. The colour does seem to be lighter though. 

Could really do with a better photo! 

• RMweb Premium

Ok, based on the fact that decent colour photos and scale plans always turn up after you've asked and done loads of research....

I'm now going to trick Sod's Law and pretend that the build has been finished and it's way, way too late alter anything!

• RMweb Premium

The felt on the North side of my shed roof isn't that dissimilar to the colour of the asbestos roof of the barns at the farm next door, he said looking outta the window :D

The felt roof in our garden is covered in tree and so is a completely different colour - green. 

I've found you a reference shot from the Bodmin - Wenford line

http://www.flickr.com/photos/372paul/5866103447/

Enjoy and hope it is of interest

Will be a massive help, thanks D. 

• RMweb Premium

The following building, also being drawn up, whilst I have all the kit out, is one of these ground frame huts.

I believe there where two in the Boscarne Jct area...

post-6675-0-79901600-1368871816.jpg

post-6675-0-01694900-1368871816.jpg

and another at Grogley. 

post-6675-0-05948900-1368871815.jpg

The design seems standard, even down to the door being on the same side. Looks to me like around 6" spacing on the planking and a tiled roof?

• RMweb Premium

Although I'm familiar with my seven times table, I keep finding that my brain has become conditioned to convert sizes into 4mm. After a couple of near misses on the 'ooops, wrong size' front I've made myself a handy converter sheet...

post-6675-0-47357400-1368875389_thumb.jpg

I doubt I'll be working to 2 decimal places but I find the extra digits helpful in working how close to the whole mm I need to be!

• Like 3