Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Gold

Nice job on the stone sheets. I am not sure which I prefer fiddling around to hide the joins on the plastic sheets or scribing the whole lot from scratch. I use DAS  again you can marks out the rough courses and stones quicker when still fresh but it then takes more effort to clean of the raised edges than if you let it dry before scribing and once it is dry the scribing takes longer.

I was looking at Trevor Nunn's work today in S  gauge beautifully done Brickwork quions scribed on cartridge paper then stones scribed into a thin layer of DAS between the brickwork quoins. Bit of a pain when there is a lot of retaining walls.

If you want to see mind boggling work look at Jeffs work on building dry stone walls here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94282-kirkby-luneside-2-grime-and-filth/page-106 then look forward to see how much walls he builds this in 4mm the results speak for them selves.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice job on the stone sheets. I am not sure which I prefer fiddling around to hide the joins on the plastic sheets or scribing the whole lot from scratch. I use DAS  again you can marks out the rough courses and stones quicker when still fresh but it then takes more effort to clean of the raised edges than if you let it dry before scribing and once it is dry the scribing takes longer.

I was looking at Trevor Nunn's work today in S  gauge beautifully done Brickwork quions scribed on cartridge paper then stones scribed into a thin layer of DAS between the brickwork quoins. Bit of a pain when there is a lot of retaining walls.

If you want to see mind boggling work look at Jeffs work on building dry stone walls here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94282-kirkby-luneside-2-grime-and-filth/page-106 then look forward to see how much walls he builds this in 4mm the results speak for them selves.

Don

Building a dry stone wall from individual lumps of DAS. And not just a short length - now that is modelling madness!

I've tried DAS a few times but can't seem to get the results that others do.

• RMweb Gold

Building a dry stone wall from individual lumps of DAS. And not just a short length - now that is modelling madness!

I've tried DAS a few times but can't seem to get the results that others do.

It may be madness but I like the results. 

Don

• RMweb Premium

Gordon and Maggie gravett often demonstrate the blobs of Daz technique at shows.

Andy

The only other thing that puts me off using DAS is the weight. Hard lesson learned from New Haden, use light materials when possible.

• RMweb Gold

The only other thing that puts me off using DAS is the weight. Hard lesson learned from New Haden, use light materials when possible.

Not a princple Jeff follows, I couldn't convince him that 4x2s were a bit excessive for baseboard construction. Mind you the fell on his layout used an awful lot of plaster. I agree with you about lightweight materials. At the weekend someone remarked they had used painted vermiculite for loads in some hopper wagons to keep the weight down.

Don

• RMweb Premium

On the basis that you can never have too many part completed projects on the go...I've started another.

This was to have been a copy of the wharf building at Helland Bridge but, although I've kept the overall dimensions, I've decided to alter it to better suit the location. Ground floor is almost the same, although I've moved the double doors on the right hand side. The more significant changes will be at first floor level and will include elements of another building I photographed near St Teeth in 2013....

Anyway, here's a few of the ground floor under construction. The right hand doors will be slid open and the interior modelled. Some sort of workshop I think.

post-6675-0-76519200-1494714512_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-51830300-1494714537_thumb.jpg

John's car fits...

post-6675-0-05498200-1494714573_thumb.jpg

And some time later with the stonework sheets added.

post-6675-0-07963800-1494714633_thumb.jpg

Lots of work to do on the corners and joints. This is well underway but I forgot to take a photo and the building is now under a large weight overnight (not me).

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Oh, as a change to Wills coarse stone, I've used their random wall sheets instead. These are being sanded down a little and the stones altered to make them a bit more long and flat. Still quicker than scribing from scratch. Honest.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Bit of a sketch I knocked out this morning. Heavily distorted and curved by the camera, but should give an idea of what I've got in mind.

post-6675-0-34411400-1494799005_thumb.jpg

Not on the same level as one of Mr Wardle's masterpieces but it will do.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

At this point I had a change of mind and deviated from the sketch. A gently sloping roof over the 1st floor double doors rather than a gable.

Seemed a good idea at the time...

post-6675-0-34282600-1494799685_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-98699600-1494799703_thumb.jpg

But, I didn't like it. So out with the razor saw.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Can someone please put me out of my misery, please, I have been looking back through the thread trying to find the build of the Slaters 20 ton brake, without success. Could you please give details of its location.

Many thanks.

• RMweb Premium

Can someone please put me out of my misery, please, I have been looking back through the thread trying to find the build of the Slaters 20 ton brake, without success. Could you please give details of its location.

Many thanks.

Are you thinking of the BR std brake that I backdated to the LNER version?