Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

One razor saw and some light destruction later we have a different roof style, back to my original sketch. Should have stuck with that in the first place...

post-6675-0-29264300-1494801031_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-49513200-1494801048_thumb.jpg

And a slightly less distorted photo of my sketch.

post-6675-0-16078400-1494801088_thumb.jpg

With some slightly more technical drawing...

post-6675-0-38080000-1494801129_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Can someone please put me out of my misery, please, I have been looking back through the thread trying to find the build of the Slaters 20 ton brake, without success. Could you please give details of its location.

Many thanks.

March 2016: http://westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/pencarrow-bridge.5154/page-2

• RMweb Premium

OK, question to the masses...rendered finish to walling...how best to achieve this convincingly in 7mm?

We're talking something halfway between rough pebbledash and a smooth render but set on an undulating background. The suggestion / method must be able to cope with openings and returns in the wall.

In the past I've used sandpaper but this doesn't come well with going around corners well and joints are difficult to hide. I've also sprinkled sand on to wet paint but this can look like sand sprinkled on top of wet paint...

I'll post a photo of the effect I'm looking to reproduce as soon as I find one.

Suggestions welcome.

• RMweb Premium

Second request.

Does anyone know of a supplier of a brass etch that makes up an external metal stairway, the sort beloved on industrial buildings. Again, I'm looking for 7mm stuff.

Thanks for any pointers.

OK, question to the masses...rendered finish to walling...how best to achieve this convincingly in 7mm?

We're talking something halfway between rough pebbledash and a smooth render but set on an undulating background. The suggestion / method must be able to cope with openings and returns in the wall.

In the past I've used sandpaper but this doesn't come well with going around corners well and joints are difficult to hide. I've also sprinkled sand on to wet paint but this can look like sand sprinkled on top of wet paint...

I'll post a photo of the effect I'm looking to reproduce as soon as I find one.

Suggestions welcome.

Talculm Powder sprinkled onto wet paint?

Edited by Stephen Freeman

• RMweb Gold

Second request.

Does anyone know of a supplier of a brass etch that makes up an external metal stairway, the sort beloved on industrial buildings. Again, I'm looking for 7mm stuff.

Thanks for any pointers.

You mean like this on here if you go back further you can read who did the etch and see how it went together  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58132-dock-green/page-122

Don

• RMweb Premium

You mean like this on here if you go back further you can read who did the etch and see how it went together  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58132-dock-green/page-122

Don

Thanks Don, I did think of the big set that Chaz made up, but I only want a single flight with no landing. Can't believe Chaz did that almost 2 years ago.

• RMweb Premium

For the render, would mixing something into the paint give a more convincing finish than sprinkling it on to wet paint?

Have a vague recollection of a textured (suede effect) spray rattle can in one of the DIY stores; might have been from the Plastikote range?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

For the render, would mixing something into the paint give a more convincing finish than sprinkling it on to wet paint?

Have a vague recollection of a textured (suede effect) spray rattle can in one of the DIY stores; might have been from the Plastikote range?

Good call Mark.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/103240-does-anyone-paint-concrete-sleepers/

• RMweb Gold

For the render I would try using Sandtex they can be obtained in tester pots. Don't go for the smooth type you want the one with sand in it.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Don, I did think of the big set that Chaz made up, but I only want a single flight with no landing. Can't believe Chaz did that almost 2 years ago.

Might be worth asking if he could supply enough for a single flight.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Bit later than I intended, photos of the render finish i'm looking to copy.

Extract from a period photo:

post-6675-0-59273300-1495053689.jpg

Extract from a shot taken a couple of years back:

post-6675-0-86165300-1495053811_thumb.jpg

Hopefully gives a better idea.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mike - not a manufacturer I've come across before, 

Looks like i was too late clicking on the link as the eBay item has finished. From the link description, I guess it's these: https://www.tichytraingroup.com/Shop/tabid/91/c/o_structure-parts/p/2044/Default.aspx

Not quite what I'm looking for - they are very obviously a classic American style fire escape. The link to the staircase on Chaz's layout provided by Don is more like what I'm looking for. 

I'm wondering if an etch for signal box steps might also be a starting point?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Second request.

Thanks for any pointers.

Just wondering given the size of the building, the period and maybe the builders budget whether the steps should be timber rather than steel. I picturing the original wooden steps on the Stafford railway circle club rooms in meyrick road (I'm sure you remember them).

Given the thicker section you could go laser cut ply / mdf

rail models of Devon do a range of signal boxes with timber steps. they say they do commission cutting so I imagine they could just supply the steps.

Later when I'm note on the iPad I'll post a link unless someone beats me to it.

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just wondering given the size of the building, the period and maybe the builders budget whether the steps should be timber rather than steel. I picturing the original wooden steps on the Stafford railway circle club rooms in meyrick road (I'm sure you remember them).

Given the thicker section you could go laser cut ply / mdf

rail models of Devon do a range of signal boxes with timber steps. they say they do commission cutting so I imagine they could just supply the steps.

Later when I'm note on the iPad I'll post a link unless someone beats me to it.

Andy

Of course I remember the old Clubroom wooden steps and also the epic battle to replace them with a steel set when they rotted away and became somewhat hazardous!

The building I'm working on, and that the steps are for, has its origins in the mid to late 1800s. I'm modelling it as a bit of a carbuncle which has had no end of botched additions over the years. Should add a bit of visual interest and be a counterpoint to the concrete block building next to it.

I'm sure that the steps would have originally been wooden as you suggested but, as per the old clubroom, could they have been replaced with steel once rotted away? The other option is an obviously patched up, make do and mend, wooden set.

• RMweb Premium

Chris,

I used the Plastruct stairs for my water tower, they're 1/48 but I think they look fine. They also do moulded handrails to suit.

Best

Simon

Sounds promising Simon, thanks for the suggestion.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the show tell tips on joining "Wills sheets" together. Some great work being produced here.Well done.Best

No problem. The modelling work was happening anyway and the write up took very little extra time. Glad it was of use.