Gone but not forgotten

AMJ

With all due respect, I wouldn't class the Lincoln Road shop and Trains4U in the same league. T4U is a fantastic resource, but in the modern idiom of modelshops. Well stocked with rtr and pre-owned (posher than secondhand lol), with some extras from the smaller suppliers that back up the rtr (Peco,Metcalfe, and more). But none of the older stuff that was stocked in Lincoln Road, such as whitemetal kits, Craftsman brass etches, etc,etc. I would class these 2 shops as of equal status, but from different eras.

Sadly the names escape me, but originally the Lincoln Road shop was run by the father; later on his son took over after he passed away. I still see the son visiting exhibitions and swapmeets, so he is still enthusiastic. Maybe even on here?

Stewart

True, their approach is/was different, but Lincoln Road was a much smaller affair, and consequently had less variety on view, albeit there were some rare gems not usually available on a high street. I think one of them (not sure if father or son) continued trading as mail order (The Station Master?) for a while, primarily for loco repairs and other services. Is that still going?

My wife used to help out occasionally in that shop but I think it had probably closed by the time we met in 1980. She thinks it was called the Camera Shop and as you say, that was the main business. That area of the precinct was redeveloped years ago. The former owner of the shop is still active in the Redditch Model Railway Club.

The name rings a bell. As my family didn't move to Redditch until mid-1980 it was definitely around then, racking my brains I'm pretty sure I bought a couple of Airfix BR Mk2 coaches there (or was it the Lima Mk3 buffet coach, or both?), possibly on the cheap when they were closing down, which given my age and pocket-money situation must have been a year or three later.

Well what great memories. I grew up in Camberley in Surrey and there were two model shops of note when I was a lad. First was "The Model Shop" I think, up on the high street not far down from the station. Lots of pocket money went on 1/32 military modelling but I never could get into the helicopters the owners built and flew., far too expensive.

Then along came Fred Blackman and Mallard Models on the London Road. Many a happy hour spent in there discussing what I was building and trading in Triang/Hornby for new fangled brass kits. Fred even suggested what to try building first. Then the business became "Cove models" in Cove (surprise?) and then moved to Aldershot. I'd left home by then but dropped in occasionally.

All shops now long gone, along with Eames of Reading, another regular haunt when visiting the town or on my way home from Uni.

I also remember visiting a real Aladdin's cave of a model railway shop at the top of a hill somewhere in Exeter on several occasions when on holiday at my Uncles who lived in the city.

Until a couple of years ago we had Model World  here in Dereham but that changed hands and then closed completely a couple of years ago. My nearest model shop is now on the other side of Norwich - Great Eastern Models. (Unless you count Starlings toy store but they have less than ever and at RRP or higher).

Adrian

• 1 month later...

Growing up in South Bedfordshire my nearest model shop was Charlie Coles in High St north, Dunstable, run by Charlie's sons and selling Lima models alongside cycles and toys.I still have a couple of Lima westerns & warships bought for £8 each and mk1 coaches for £2, my Lima N gauge purchases have long gone though!! The shop was sold and the business moved half mile down the road but closed shortly after, they had an old penny farthing bike over the door, a local landmark. There was also another short lived shop called Mk models.

In Luton was Aeromodels, a traditional model shop, closed when the owner retired around 1980,Taylor & McKenna, later beatties,toy and hobby shop in the Arndale shopping centre had a good model dept downstairs,Zodiac toys remembered for selling off vast amounts of old stock triang transcontinental very cheaply in the 80s and model & timber supplies with all sorts of bits and pieces.All gone now though!!

• 3 months later...

I have found this quite late.

Bearwood Models & Birmingham Models (Constitution Hill) were originally owned by George Evans. Taken over by Robert Chester-Lamb. He closed the shops many years ago but I understand still does some restoration of vintage trains and clocks. This from his workshop which is (was) in Malvern.

The proprietor of Chuffs is still trading as Perfect Miniatures in Sudbury Suffolk. still has the same mix of second hand, some good valve some not!

Another model shop that might disappear is Tennents Trains in Halesowen as John is retiring after 50 years in the business. It is for sale but who knows what might happen. Perhaps it will become another popular box shifter!

I do remember quite a few of the names listed hear (and when Hattons was a 'model shop').

regards

Allen Morgan

W.E.Lt.R.

I have found this quite late.

Bearwood Models & Birmingham Models (Constitution Hill) were originally owned by George Evans. Taken over by Robert Chester-Lamb. He closed the shops many years ago but I understand still does some restoration of vintage trains and clocks. This from his workshop which is (was) in Malvern.

The proprietor of Chuffs is still trading as Perfect Miniatures in Sudbury Suffolk. still has the same mix of second hand, some good valve some not!

Another model shop that might disappear is Tennents Trains in Halesowen as John is retiring after 50 years in the business. It is for sale but who knows what might happen. Perhaps it will become another popular box shifter!

I do remember quite a few of the names listed hear (and when Hattons was a 'model shop').

regards

Allen Morgan

W.E.Lt.R.

I  remember  Hattons  in  the  OLD  days  I often  used to  pop in  when  my  calls  found  me  in Liverpool,  The shop was never busy just  a  constant  customer  flow  trickle,  I  used to  have  some interesting  Chats  with Norman Hatton, who really  was  a very  shrewd  businessman.

My big  regret  was  not  buying   some  Wrenn  Steamlined Coronations  which  were  being  cleared  at £25 each,

I actually  placed an order with Hattons Thursday ( quite a frequent occurance!)  The  conversation  I had  with  the  order taker  about   railways and  model railways  makes  me  think  that some of the staff  at  least  are quite knowledgeable so maybe 'box shifter' is not  fully appropriate.

The Harow Model Shop with the very knowledgeable old chap behind the counter.  Seemed a bit haphazardly organised but there wasn't much they didn't have and only five minutes walk from either of the two Tube stations.

I used to always enjoy jumping on a A Stock up to Harrow and visiting Harrow Model Centre. Norman was a nice old chap. They had good food outlets in the shopping centre too, for a spot of lunch.

My early memories around Colchester were the shop the bottom of North Hill, which is now long gone, also Colchester Model Centre up Mersea Road and later Albion Road, and Mankim Models which is still trading. My favourite shop, and regular haunt, is John Dutfield, Chelmsford.

Edited by Baby Deltic

Stroud-Sims of Trowbridge was one from my youth. Situated in Stallard St, just outside the station. Bikes on one side of the shop and railways on the other. I spent hours ogling the Rivarossi and Korean brass US loco's, Chris Stroud-Sims was an active US modeller. They later moved to Silver St, but the shop was sold due to ill health/retirement and went downhill from then.

There was 'The Modeller's Den' in Bath. Opened in 1948, it lasted until 2012 when the high rates that Bath Council charge meant it was no longer viable.

Another I used to frequent was Challis's in Shepton Mallett. Great little shop for odds and ends. Closed when the lease ran out, although Chris kept a few pieces at the back of his other shop, a Gentlemans Outfitters, until he retired.

Does anyone remember Model Highways in Gloucester Rd, Bristol? I believe it was taken over by Howes, but closed a year or so after. Not as extensive a range of hard-to-find parts as Max Williams, but a good range of 009 kits.

Two others I remember fro Bristol were Kemp's in Sandy Park Rd, Brislington, a good range of kits, but were short lived and Trains of Bristol, in West St, Bedminster. Not so good this one. Enquired about 009 here and was told no one makes anything for it and I must be the only one in the country modelling it.

I dont think anyone has mentioned Lincoln.

We had 3 shops i can remember.

Nobbs, Ashleys and Bycrofts.

Nobbs seemed to be a large shop dealing in all hobby things, like fishing, stuffed animals, model railways

to name but a few.

This was the first shop when getting of a bus in the city centre.

It was also the reason i could not spell TRAINS as a small boy...i always spelled it TRIANS.

The reason being i was actually copying TRIANG, i knew Trains did not have a G on so it always came out TRIAN.....This came about by my mother always buying me a Triang Catalogue from the shop.

At one time they also had a second shop on Sincil Street still selling O Gauge clockwork amongst other items.

Ashleys also had a large showroom with all toys you can think of on display.

Bycrofts was near my homeward bound bus stop, so i always spent time there looking at Hornby Dublo.

Secondhand shops also were well stocked at times with model railway, we probably had 4 or 5 of them.

Not to mention most small shops sold Matchbox , Dinky, Airfix and Playcraft.

Of course we all tend to collect things we could not afford back then.

Now i have a large collection of Triang, Playcraft and Some Airfix and Matchbox items.

Happy Days

The mention earlier of Bob Dennys at Long Eaton reminded me of going to Toton around 1973.

We visited his shop and although small had a good variety.

Later i returned to by some Triang TT he had.

Sadly we will not see shops like this again...full of atmosphere 

• RMweb Premium

As a kid on Holiday I used to love looking round "Hobby Horse" at the Thomas A Beckett, Worthing.  Went downhill a bit in the last few years of its existence, sadly now long gone....

polybear 

Trains of Bristol, in West St, Bedminster. Not so good this one. Enquired about 009 here and was told no one makes anything for it and I must be the only one in the country modelling it.

Sounds about right, I used to frequent them when I worked in Parsons Street. They were generally well stocked but their customer service was atrocious and pricing was pretty steep. Derek the owner was at best bearable but the rest of his cronies were just rude. I remember asking if I could pay by Switch at a time when Switch was pretty universal to be met with "aint you got any cash??!!", eventually we mutually agreed on payment by cheque.

I used to always enjoy jumping on a A Stock up to Harrow and visiting Harrow Model Centre. Norman was a nice old chap. They had good food outlets in the shopping centre too, for a spot of lunch.

Norman was great, willing to help and knowledgeable. The considerably more elderly Arthur, who was part time, was much grumpier and I got into the habit of avoiding him like the plague...

• Like 1

Cuttrisses in Doncaster, train set in the window, massive lego Queen Elizabeth (ship not monarch)in the middle of the shop and a Railway Magazine on the counter

proper model shop

Just started reading this thread. I seem to remember the name Cutrisses but cannot remember where it was. I remember Evans (I bought a lima class 33 there) on Silver street. Also there was Red Gates in Sheffield (I've got one of their branded wagons somewhere).

If I remember rightly one of the chaps from Evans went on to TMC in North Yorkshire.

Although still in existance I have fond memories of going to the little shop TAG models had near Doncaster station.

A pic of Redgates I found on t' internet

post-1-1242674899.jpg

My visit was somewhat later, in the late 80s. I think that the proprieter was one of that group of modellers in rhe Midlands that produced 4mm items such as Jackson Evans coach sides and loco plates, Model and Leisure kits, etc.

Model and Leisure, Coventry,  I think Pete Waterman had that one, in which case it would be the forerunner of the acclaimed  O gauge JustLiketheRealThing in Irvine Scotland

Just started reading this thread. I seem to remember the name Cutrisses but cannot remember where it was. I remember Evans (I bought a lima class 33 there) on Silver street. Also there was Red Gates in Sheffield (I've got one of their branded wagons somewhere).

If I remember rightly one of the chaps from Evans went on to TMC in North Yorkshire.

Although still in existance I have fond memories of going to the little shop TAG models had near Doncaster station.

A pic of Redgates I found on t' internet

post-1-1242674899.jpg

Cuttrisses were at 40 Duke Street from the 1960s,  prioir to that in Spring Gardens (i think) a shop mwhich was demolished in the terrible modernisation  of the town, if ever there was a case for extermination of town planners, just examine Doncaster.

Cutrrises closed by around 1980 from memory, it was a very large shop with about 5 assistants on duty at all times,   4 pm to 5 pm Monday to Friday it was a mecca for schollboys on their way home from school, in an article the owners said turnover slumped rapidly, and they had the foresight to close in good order,  rather than simply hang on. Probably something to do with teh appeal of new technology, the Sinclair Spectrum perhaps? 

• 1 year later...

The name rings a bell. As my family didn't move to Redditch until mid-1980 it was definitely around then, racking my brains I'm pretty sure I bought a couple of Airfix BR Mk2 coaches there (or was it the Lima Mk3 buffet coach, or both?), possibly on the cheap when they were closing down, which given my age and pocket-money situation must have been a year or three later.

Hi All,

The Redditch model shop in Royal Square was call Lyndon Studios and was run by the late David Brazier who was a founder member of the Redditch Model Railway Club - he found our first Club room back in June 1967 which led to the formation of the club but he was not a Club member since the 1970's

More information at http://www.redditch-mrc.com/How%20the%20Club%20was%20formed.htm

Still 'sort of going' but not the same....

Norman Wisenden's emporium in Greenfield, yeah there was the 'Saddleworth surcharge' but what you couldn't find or get there most of the time was minimal, plus the upstairs with the glass cases of 7 and 4mm stuff.

Not forgetting the black teapot and Harry Madden keeping out of his wife's way.

Frank Roscoe's Handymans shop too when it was on Ripponden Road, Oldham

Others that I can think of

Bradford Model Railway Exchange on Mosley St, Manchester

and the one on Ashton Old Rd in Openshaw, that the name escapes me at the moment.

Remember  Basset  Lowke    in  Corporation  Street  (  with  the  signal  gantry  over  the  shop front)  spent  many an hour on a Saturday  Just  queing to get  served, eg Wrenn Castle   class  & 3  Pullmans  £7.7S 0d  (  £7.35)

Then  there  was  one  on  Deansgate close  to  Kendals,  double  barrelled  Name  cant  quite  remember  it. sold  a  lot  of  kits  Ks  etc.

THERE  WAS   one  in  Reddish  used  to  sell a lot  of  USA  H0  and  LGB  which  I  bought  for  my  first  Garden Line  in Hazel Grove

There  was  one  on  Hyde  Road  Gorton  think  it  was  close  to   or in  an  old  coop shop

Also one in Stockport  St Petersgate  top pf  the  hill near  the  89  bus terminus  and  also  one on  the  A6  at  the   junction of  Bramhall lane..

There  was  also  a  sort   of model  shop  within  a  cycle  shop  in Ashton  u Lyne,  I  was  driving  past  one  day spotted  a  Hornby  Dublo 2  Car  SR  EMU set  in  the  window,  parked  up  and  the owner  sold  it  me  for  £5.5s0d ( £5.25)  and  threw  in 3  additional EMU  trailer  cars

Yes  Model Shops  were  pretty  thick  on  the  ground in  those   Happy  Days

You  May  gather  from  this post  despite  my  current  location  I  am  a  Mancunian!!

Edited by Stevelewis

Remember  Basset  Lowke    in  Corporation  Street  (  with  the  signal  gantry  over  the  shop front)  spent  many an hour on a Saturday  Just  queing to get  served, eg Wrenn Castle   class  & 3  Pullmans  £7.7S 0d  (  £7.35)

Then  there  was  one  on  Deansgate close  to  Kendals,  double  barrelled  Name  cant  quite  remember  it. sold  a  lot  of  kits  Ks  etc.

THERE  WAS   one  in  Reddish  used  to  sell a lot  of  USA  H0  and  LGB  which  I  bought  for  my  first  Garden Line  in Hazel Grove

There  was  one  on  Hyde  Road  Gorton  think  it  was  close  to   or in  an  old  coop shop

Also one in Stockport  St Petersgate  top pf  the  hill near  the  89  bus terminus  and  also  one on  the  A6  at  the   junction of  Bramhall lane..

There  was  also  a  sort   of model  shop  within  a  cycle  shop  in Ashton  u Lyne,  I  was  driving  past  one  day spotted  a  Hornby  Dublo 2  Car  SR  EMU set  in  the  window,  parked  up  and  the owner  sold  it  me  for  £5.5s0d ( £5.25)  and  threw  in 3  additional EMU  trailer  cars

Yes  Model Shops  were  pretty  thick  on  the  ground in  those   Happy  Days

You  May  gather  from  this post  despite  my  current  location  I  am  a  Mancunian!!

The double barrel name model shop  on Deansgate in Manchester was Tyldsley and Holbrook (cant vouch for the spelling). They used to sell Anbrico DMU's for what seemed high prices at the time-tho they were hand made.

Thanks  Paul  Tyldesley  &  Holbrook  it  was  and  I  remember  the  Anbricio  DMUs  introduced  just  about  the  time  the  real  things appeared  in  Manchester on the  Buxton & Macclesfield  routes.

I seem to recall Anbrico  did 10000/10001