Thats the other option I was considering, but having NEM mounts makes a lot of things easier. I can certainly just tap and screw a rapido coupler with a loop at the wagon end into the end itself.  Makes it much more complicated to build though. Right now it's not entirely idiot proof but its fairly easy to assemble.

I've had various WSF bogies running for a while with the pinpoints printed into them and the detail either etched overlays or in this case just printed but without fine detail. The big problem is axle length. I can get away with it for a few bogie types (got an LSWR Dreadnaught bogie on the go for example that'll work), and it only works for the WIA because I'm using much shorter US axles to get the tiny wheels needed. Even then with the wall thickness required (including between the pinpoint centre and surface edges) it's pretty tight.

No sign of wear on the WSF bogies I've been running so far, and as its basically nylon I'm not sure I'd expect much wear anyway.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alan,

Yes, it's a shame Fleischmann don't do a version of their close coupling mount with a NEM socket.  I'm not really sure why they don't!

I am interested in the WSF bogie concept and as you say, if it's basically nylon then it should be relatively hardwearing - certainly enough for N.  I do wonder about the long term stability of some of these materials both in terms of holding their shape and flexibility.  It's all so new I guess all we can do is wait and see!

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Thats the other option I was considering, but having NEM mounts makes a lot of things easier. I can certainly just tap and screw a rapido coupler with a loop at the wagon end into the end itself.  Makes it much more complicated to build though. Right now it's not entirely idiot proof but its fairly easy to assemble.

If there is space under the wagon for a Dapol converter NEM box then that will allow either a Rapido or a Easi Shunt coupler to be installed.

I find that even rigid fixed Easi Shunt couplers have more give on tight curves than Rapido couplers.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alan

For the end of set couplers would the Bachman EZ mate couplers (Hattons have some now) work? They are knuckle couplers with a pivot loop and a couple of plastic "spring" wings to center the coupler.  I've only seen them used in 4mm so far, but they might fit the bill as they can be pretty shallow to fit - a screw for the pivot through the loop and a couple of strips of plastic to limit the springs either side of the pivot point.

Eg: http://www.ehattons.com/38153/Bachmann_USA_78501_Magnetically_Operated_E_Z_Mate_Mark_II_Couplers_Long_12Pr_Card_/StockDetail.aspx

Cheers, Mike

BHE do some loop couplers that if I go in the screw/loop fashion would I think do the trick quite nicely, or even the old Farish loop ones sold as spares by BR Lines.  You could certain screw a coupler into the floor there without any real problem I can see.

• 1 month later...

So a quick update. Having tried a few things I settled on cheating a bit. I re-printed the bogies with the NEM pockets angled upwards at about 10°. That seems to work nicely and if it offends the sensibilities you can bend the NEM coupling arms 10° at the join with the head quite easily.

Unfortunately I screwed up the test resized etch end overlays so need to redo those a shade smaller next test etch I do. As British Rail used to like to say "We're getting there".

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alan

A couple of quick questions - I ordered a the WIA set at the weekend and promptly forgot to add the bogies, but on looking at the bogie pack the text talks about enough bogies for one set (6) whereas the body pack was for 2 sets.  To confuse things a bit more both the images on the bogie pack show enough bogies for 2 sets, so I need to order one or two sets?

Secondly, any idea where to get some of the Fox Valley Models wheels without incurring insane postage charges?

Thanks

Mike

The images should always be accurate - the Shapeways rendering is what you get. I'll correct the description right now

Annoyingly I've not found a UK supplier of the FV wheels.

(The sets are in pairs btw because the main Arbel body shells work out about the same price for two as one - Shapeways have a different pricing for higher volume/density and it nicely hits that)

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

WIA body shells, bogies and (lots of) tiny wheels have all arrived within a day or two of each other so I just need to work out what paint colours to use to get on with building a couple of sets.

The articulation looks like a great piece of design.

Thanks very much for doing these Alan!

Cheers, Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Been done for a while but waiting me having time to finish off the sheet and get it all off to be etched. Christmas/New year was taken up by relatives so I got a lot less done (and enjoyed myself a lot more ;-) ) than planned.

I'll let people know once I've got some here and tested, but they *will* get done - I need some to start with !

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The prints arrived today - UPS know which house to leave them at during the day these days. A Good job these neighbours happily take them in for us.

Not had much time to do anything with them this evening but did put a couple of pieces together and they all appear to fit well. Thanks to Mike I now have the wheels, so one bogie has these in place.

It is possible that a set will be running at the Pontefract show in just over a weeks time.

Mike - have you settled on any particular paint colours?

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian

Glad you got the wheels OK - sorry I missed you, I was in the pub next door :yes:

I've picked up a bottle of Vallejo's Model Color Pastel Blue (901 or 63 in their numbering) to try - I've only got primer on mine so far. I'm not convinced it is right, but we'll see. I just went into Ian Allan at Waterloo and tried to pick a reasonable shade for a reasonably dirty/slightly faded set.  I'll look to use something metallic for the ends.

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Gold

Last night I managed to get a coat of primer on the bodies.

This morning a set of five had the sides slightly rubbed down and a second coat.

Hopefully today I will get chance to go to Ian Allen and get some suitable colour paints to get the finish coat on them on Sunday.

post-1557-0-69437900-1389943814_thumb.jpg

Archived