Interesting project Alan, it'll be good to have an alternative to the CJM model for those of us on lower budgets!

Something I've noticed from your render, are the multiple angles on the roof down to the rendering of the model?

The real things only have three angled panels between the narrow top flat panel and the sides.

post-6899-0-11779900-1364858870_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-25576200-1364858871_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps, definitely a project I'll be keeping an eye on!

jo

The render only has 3 angled panels as well 8)

I think I may have the top a bit too wide, I need to play with that. Fortunately I went to the trouble to key all the internal and external wall profiles plus end taper off the one profile so I can tweak it and the whole thing redraws itself the right shape.

WIA2.jpg

Yes, I'd be in for one of these. Although they're not exactly on my A-list, these used to be maintained at Allerton and often turned up at Edge Hill on the Arpley (Warrington)-Allerton cripples train. I'd dearly love one of the ATM / CJM ones, but that would blow out my modelling budget for several months!

Jim

Ahhh I see, nicely done Alan. Yeah the profile seems very similar to a 66, the top panel is very narrow, the next is the widest, and the lower two are the shallowest depth

The wheels on these are tiny. Are they suitable for 5.1 mm or are they smaller?

jo

Good observation - and as I understand it they were built to the limits of the loading gauge in that pattern, which would I believe make it identical to the 67 and the KSAA and a fraction wider than a 66 ? Ok that makes fixing the profile a bit simpler.

Second photo is really useful too as it shows the steps and the solebar end curvature nicely - something I'd completely missed with the photos I'm working from.

Lots to fix yet - and the articulation needs somewhat of a redesign, having peered at a few continental articulated vehicles I have a revised plan for that which might even work ;-)

Alan

Lots to fix yet - and the articulation needs somewhat of a redesign, having peered at a few continental articulated vehicles I have a revised plan for that which might even work ;-)

Atlas US Articulated Tri-Level Autoracks may be a good source of inspiration. They have more of a gap in between them than the arbels, but the principle of articulation should still be sound.

Next issue is the bogies - now the first question is wheel diameter which seems to be small, but the second is given this whether there are any good reliable sources of sanely priced 5.1mm or maybe a bit smaller (still to verify) wheels on shorter than 15mm axles. Do any of the US manufacturers use small wheels on sane axle lengths - say about 13mm pinpoints. That would make doing 3d printed bogies a bit more practical.

Alan

Next issue is the bogies - now the first question is wheel diameter which seems to be small, but the second is given this whether there are any good reliable sources of sanely priced 5.1mm or maybe a bit smaller (still to verify) wheels on shorter than 15mm axles. Do any of the US manufacturers use small wheels on sane axle lengths - say about 13mm pinpoints. That would make doing 3d printed bogies a bit more practical.

Alan

Alan

Wheel diameter 680mm; minimum 651mm after reprofiling. The bogies are Y39; you might get more gen on these via a Google. I've sent you a PM, BTW.

Etched, what material do you have in mind for these to be printed in?

If FUD, you may need to add some formers inside the model so that it keeps its shape during the curing process. I've recently printed something of a similar size and shape to one of your Arbel segments and found that the roof drooped and the sides bowed inwards. For info I was using 0.5mm walls.

That latest render looks great Alan, nice stuff. Polished WSF sounds like a good route given the lack of raised details, and with etches too sounds like a perfect pairing. Looks like I'll have to dig out my pics of a set in a wagonload working to get modelling!

jo

• RMweb Gold

Hello Alan

We used the 5.1mm wheelsets on the ATM Arbel models, which were produced as a limited run of 100 sets ten years ago.

There are some smaller wheelsets available from US suppliers I believe.

I have quite a few detail photos from when we researched these wagons, I will see what I can dig out to assist you with, though it may take a couple of weeks.

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks - that would be great. I'm planning to use the US 28" (ie 4.4mm or so) wheels eventually but I've ordered a set of bodyshells so I can hack on them and investigate bogie options once I've got something to play with and a better feel for all the ride heights and clearances needed.

Alan

Archived