• RMweb Gold

Etched end bits have landed and this time they fit.

Can folks who want some send me a PM and I'll start getting them out to people.

Glad to hear that they have come out well.

I now have both sets of Arbels with the blue colour ref 901 that red death referred to. To me it looks fine so far.

Hopefully the first set will get assembled tomorrow and placed on the layout for a few test runs on the boards that are set up.

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Gold

The first set of the Arbels that I ma working on are now assembled. There is still more painting to do but I wanted to see how they sat on the rails. They seem to be free rolling but might need a little weight to get round the fiddleyard curves.

A couple of photos of them on the layout. One end has a Rapido and the other a Dapol Easi Shunt coupler fitted into the trucks NEM pocket.

post-1557-0-16905800-1390341042_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-25835600-1390341109_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The two Arbel sets were fully tested at the weekend at the a Pontefract show.

I had a few derailments at first especially I the fiddle yard so a little bit of weight was stuck to the small sections of styrene floor that I had glued into each section of the articulated sets.

This greatly improved performance although the rear section of the rear set did keep. Derailing on turnouts until I removed the last bogie and found a tiny bit of glue on it causing it slightly bind on the pivot.

After cleaning this the two sets performed flawlessly all day on Sunday.

Now I just need to finish painting them and add the details plus fit the etches when they arrive in the post.

Thanks Etched Pixels for a very nicely designed piece of rolling stock.

Ian

post-1557-0-07986000-1390808063_thumb.jpg

Absolutely cracking layout, having spent a lot of time at the station recently it really does capture the place to a t.

Are you planning a full rake of arbels? They certainly are a striking sight as they trundle through.

Matt

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely cracking layout, having spent a lot of time at the station recently it really does capture the place to a t.

Are you planning a full rake of arbels? They certainly are a striking sight as they trundle through.

Matt

[/quotThanks

I am hoping to get 4 sets of 5 although I have plenty of other jobs to do before I commence the next ones.

The etched ends arrived in the post today. They have just been primed.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I have been studying photos of the Arbels.

I have painted the underframes black at present and now deciding whether these should be dark grey.

I have now obtained a few more acrylic colours from Ian Allen shop at Waterloo and hope to pick out the detail on the etched end doors prior to fitting them.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian

I'm always wary of copying a model, but CJM's Arbel sets have black underframes for the ex-works sets.  The reality is that they soon turn a mixture of track dirt and brake dust colour!

Incidentally, I noticed when looking at pics of the real thing that the print doesn't include the full underframe (difficult to see on many photos) but you can see it here:

WIA_85704971006-1_Didcot_12102011%20%284

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Gold

Mike

Thanks

Think that I will just weather the underframe.

i must admit that I hadn't thought about the rest of the underframe but will see if I can come up with a simple one to make out of styrene that can be held in with canopy glue so that it can be removed if I ever need to separate the 5 car units

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hello Ian,

The missing section of underframe can only be seen from below, as it's really just the spine down the middle and is hidden by the boxes and cover raising mechanism panels that are on the outside edge.

A twin section of I-girder longitudinally, sloping up at each end, would do the trick.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

After running the Rio sets successfully at the Pontefract show last weekend. One set has had more work carried out on it with the other set about to follow with the same treatment.

The etched end doors have been painted and fitted plus the end grab rails formed out of. 33 wire and installed.

The end surrounds have been painted using a mixture of silver and natural steel acrylics.

The photos below show the progress as of this morning.

There is still more detailing to do.

post-1557-0-13550700-1391334614_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-99694300-1391334630_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just read this thread from the start and its very interesting,

I like the look of the Arbel wagons as I've always been fascinated by things that have bogies shared between 2 vehicles (not sure of the correct term for this arrangement)

I see that this project has been designed for N gauge, but would it be feasible to scale them up to OO gauge reasonably easily? I did try making my own similar wagon out of some old Lima tiphook wagons but it was a bit crude.

Dale

I like the look of the Arbel wagons as I've always been fascinated by things that have bogies shared between 2 vehicles (not sure of the correct term for this arrangement)

I see that this project has been designed for N gauge, but would it be feasible to scale them up to OO gauge reasonably easily? I did try making my own similar wagon out of some old Lima tiphook wagons but it was a bit crude.

Dale

Hello Dale,

Although not mentioned on here, someone is currently working on a 3D Printed Arbel chassis for OO, though it isn't at the first prototype stage yet.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Dale

You might have to figure out the bogie mountings but yes it ought to scale trivially in this particular case as it was designed to use WSF already. Won't be cheap though... a OO one will be a lot more material !

If its a serious interest let me know and I'll tell the computer to rescale and re-compute the walls this weekend.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your replies,

Excuse me if I've missed it but roughly how much does the N gauge version cost? And approximately how much would a OO version cost by comparison?

Thanks

Dale

N gauge ones come out at about 70 quid for two rakes (its an oddity of the Shapeways pricing but one or two come out about the same as beyond a certain volume if its dense enough you get different pricing.

A OO one is twice the length, height and width but can have a similar wall thickness so is probably four times that price. I doubt you'd get the density so I wouldn't be surprised if it came out about £300 for a 5 unit rake. It would also be a bit too big for Shapeways to polish so you'd have to polish it yourself.

3D printing just works so much better for smaller scales at the moment 8)

The actual main body profile is very simple so the other line of attack would be to print the body profile on a home 3D printer and then polish it. After that the underframe, pivots and joining bits could be scratch built.

• RMweb Premium

N gauge ones come out at about 70 quid for two rakes (its an oddity of the Shapeways pricing but one or two come out about the same as beyond a certain volume if its dense enough you get different pricing.

A OO one is twice the length, height and width but can have a similar wall thickness so is probably four times that price. I doubt you'd get the density so I wouldn't be surprised if it came out about £300 for a 5 unit rake. It would also be a bit too big for Shapeways to polish so you'd have to polish it yourself.

3D printing just works so much better for smaller scales at the moment 8)

The actual main body profile is very simple so the other line of attack would be to print the body profile on a home 3D printer and then polish it. After that the underframe, pivots and joining bits could be scratch built.

Ouch! Yes 3D printing of rolling stock is best kept to smaller items at present, but I'm sure its time will come!

Pete - I'd be interested in that idea, again if the cost is not too unreasonable.

Dale

• RMweb Premium

Greetings all, just a quick note to say that i worked from home on Tuesday afternoon and saw a single Arbel set head south from Crewe behind a class 92. I was most surprised as i thought they were mothballed. When I went to work in Birmingham on Wednesday they seemed to be parked at Bescot. I certainly can't remember seeing a set there last week.

Anyway, a lovely 'prototype for everything' consist.

Best, Nik. 

Archived