You'd also have to redesign the articulation if you fill the interiors in at all so its not quite that trivial. Would be fun to play with but not something I have time to do right now and I'd really have to clean up and comment the OpenSCAD file somewhat for it to be useful to anyone else on the planet 8)

Alan

• 2 months later...

Ignoring the bogies I think it comes out closer to 50 quid a set if you want two, although you'll still need to make some decals and buy a can of blue paint and some rail grey.

It's quite odd but they cost about the same to print two as one. I think it must push it into the cheaper WSF rate or something.

Not sure what the bogies will cost yet. Still trying to get some better photos to plan the best way to make them.

It's coming along nicely.

It's difficult to tell because the pics aren't square on but you might want to consider slimming down the thickness of the end frames as the proportion looks a little out;

zstw.jpg

G.

Glad you posted that - I'd been feeling the same. Also the edges are subtly more complicated that the 3D print - if you look at the sides where the pale grey bit is. I shall have a look at adjusting that at some point but I want to get my sets finished first.

Great to see an update Alan, lovely stuff.

With regards to the ends, to me it looks more like he etched doors are too small.

The angle of the grey looks right, as does the overall shape, so that to me leaves the doors being too small, with too much 'frame'

Any other ideas?

jo

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update. I fixed the ends up but have been busy with other things.

post-6740-0-40401000-1379342475_thumb.jpg

The bogies are going for Shapeways test this week (and its a standard mount so various other bogies could be used if it doesn't work out). Given Shapeways is having a 20% off week I've set the WIA set and the buffers to be orderable in case anyone wants one while the price is a bit lower, as they are a fair amount of materials.

Alan

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alan,

Nice job!

I don't know how accurate you want to be but if the printed bogies don't work out then Bernard Taylor's sprinter bogies, hacked a little, are a pretty good match in terms of basic shape for the WIA ones which, AFAIK, are unique to these wagons (though may be out of sight on some intermodal flats)

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Alan,

Nice job!

I don't know how accurate you want to be but if the printed bogies don't work out then Bernard Taylor's sprinter bogies, hacked a little, are a pretty good match in terms of basic shape for the WIA ones which, AFAIK, are unique to these wagons (though may be out of sight on some intermodal flats)

Cheers

Ben A.

As far as I can discover they are unique. The tables I check for european wagons only list the Arbels as using them. Hopefully the fallback wont be needed.

Paul: I'll have some resized ones shortly - for my own I plan to just use decals but I will make some for people who want them. I'm trying to keep the parts simply so its cheap - hence the polished WSF shells, and separate FUD buffer pack.

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

We has bogies and correct size scale wheels.

The bogies work nicely, the pins fit properly. Need to print some small pins for the end bogies.

One problem remains - if I put the coupler mounts (eg a NEM mount) on the end bogies it either has to be 1mm too low, or it won't clear the underside of the wagon. Not sure there is space to move the pocket back and up without fouling the body.

post-6740-0-24185500-1381242560_thumb.jpg

(the pin visible in the middle of the bogie resting on the floor is just because its not yet fixed into place as I'm not yet ready for a final assembly.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alan,

The bogie looks pretty good. I'd be interested in your assessment of how well it works, and how durable it is, in time. There are a few oddball bogies that are never likely to be feasible for injection moulding and this may be a way forward.

On the ATM Arbels we used a body mounted Fleischmann close coupler unit (cat 9574) and fabricated modified couplers with a swan neck arrangement to lift the head up as the shaft does emerge too low.

Cheers

Ben A.

Archived