Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Small, Broad and Totally Pointless!

• RMweb Gold

John, it's nice to have a look through this again. I like these coal wagons that you've built. I wonder what the bar at the r/h end is for?

post-7091-0-39806100-1368052157.jpg

• Like 2

The bar is the hinge for the end doors Mikkel.

After a long time when I'd lost the plot with this layout, and couldn't see how to get what I wanted from it, I think I now have a plan. But don't hold your breath, as I have other projects planned too. I spent a bit of money for some items for it the other day though!

• RMweb Gold

Glad you're not giving it up, the story behind this layout is too interesting for it to be abandoned. Those baseboards have clearly been through a lot!  :)

• RMweb Gold

Hi John I came to this via Mikkel's thread. It is very interesting. For a year We were living in the motorhome with two dogs. I did find room to start building a micro layout. Hving moved into a bungalow there is a lot more to take up the time that should be spent building layouts.

One thing at the start you mention the 4-4-0T as being a mainline engine. There were used on the mainlines but I am sure I have seen a photo of one at Watchet  which at the time was a nice little BG terminus. That was another layout I was going to build.

Don

• Like 1

Hi John I came to this via Mikkel's thread. It is very interesting. For a year We were living in the motorhome with two dogs. I did find room to start building a micro layout. Hving moved into a bungalow there is a lot more to take up the time that should be spent building layouts.

One thing at the start you mention the 4-4-0T as being a mainline engine. There were used on the mainlines but I am sure I have seen a photo of one at Watchet  which at the time was a nice little BG terminus. That was another layout I was going to build.

Don

I've had a pile of stones to worry about for the last five years, but I need a break from all the stress and hassle that comes with it. At least I've got space for several small layouts now!

Those 4-4-0STs got everywhere. They worked on mainline trains and on the branches, including to Watchet and Minehead. There are various photos of them at both places. If I still lived in Carhampton I'd come round and encourage you to get building!

Glad you're not giving it up, the story behind this layout is too interesting for it to be abandoned. Those baseboards have clearly been through a lot!  :)

They'll be going through a bit more soon! I was rummaging through my pile of bits of wood yesterday, searching for suitable materials for it, and other projects I'm planning. The main aim is to make it into one baseboard, as I don't need two short boards, and not having a join will improve it.

• Like 1

All the best with the 2 into 1 board project - Having just attempted to modify 4 boards to make 2 and widen them at the same time - I eventually scrapped them and have started over - the idea sounds fine but in practice seems to only make the project considerably heavier and much more unwieldy, and persuading the whole thing to lie flat flat at the same time tried my patience beyond endurance - so far the replacement to behave as required has proved a far more sensible proposition. I'm sure the project can be done, but not with my (lack of) carpentry skills

I can't start again without wrecking the track, as it's effectively an integral part of the baseboard! It's only 5ft long, and I'm not bothered about the weight. as it would have to be done with steel girders to make it too unwieldy! It's really a matter of finding a couple of, ideally, 5ft lengths of ply to attached to both sides, and making sure the boards are lined up as accurately as possible when I attach them.

Hi John

Do you have any close ups of the trainshed. I am thinking of building part of one in a bitsa station micro layout. Some key dimensions would be useful too.

Nigel

Sorry Nigel, I've only just spotted this hiding away at the bottom of a page! Just in case you're getting desperate for an answer after 13 months, here are a couple of really grotty photos I've just taken. Sorry about the dust, but it was quite an achievement just to get all the junk off the layout so I can see it again! Dusting will have to wait for now!

post-7091-0-79416500-1431941745.jpg

post-7091-0-65033900-1431941759.jpg

As I hope you can see, it's just a quick mock-up, and the aim is to build it properly one day, although I'm actually thinking of tidying it up and giving it a coat of paint for now, as it doesn't look too bad.

It was made by sticking photocopies of the drawings of Ashburton in Great Western Branch Line Termini Volume 2 onto some card I had lying around. Planking on the closed in part of the wall was hand drawn onto paper to sort of match, and hides the traverser. The roof tiles are Superquick Slate Paper from my archive of ancient modelling materials, and the stonework on the back wall is some equally ancient embossed card from my archives.

• Like 4

Hi John,

Just wanted to say I have just found this inspiring thread and will certainly follow with Much interest. This is a great idea and a fab layout concept, its rare to find broad gauge modelling and if I may go on to say that it is of Great quality   :good:  what is next for this layout?

Kind Regards

Dan

Thanks Dan. The next step is yet another trip to the workshop, hopefully the very final one. I've found the materials to join the two boards permanently, and will hopefully get to work pretty soon. I'm going to add a couple of sidings, so it will no longer be pointless, and I suppose that means I need to find a name for it!

It's not my top priority though, as I have very little stock to run on it. I just want to do a few bits to it gradually, so I know it's heading in the right direction. I've spent too much of my life having layouts without enough stock to operate them, so my current priority is to get my OO gauge Ingletyme running, as I have all the stock I need for that. I've been making a plan to achieve modelling ambitions going back around 40-45 years, that involves several small layouts on different themes, and this is one of them. As long as I achieve it sometime between now and just before I push up the daisies, that will do!!!!

The only prototype I can think if for a large nineteenth century pipeline would be an aqueduct. They really date from the later nineteenth century but can be very large, up to 36" in diameter.

Also they can appear "out of context" in rural areas because they are not related to local activities, a big pipe in the middle if nowhere would be appropriate. They also incorporate syphons and air release loops so you could have a pipe bridge over the track if you wanted.

… that involves several small layouts on different themes, and this is one of them.

As long as I achieve it sometime between now and just before I push up the daisies, that will do!!!!

This is right up my street. Variation in "personality" applied to those nice "dwarf layouts" - that's it !

I'm following with vivid interest - don't hurry, though.

Regards

Armin

I reckon that several small layouts is more achievable than one big one, and adds variety. Four different gauges/wheel standards and two scales is the current plan! Each needs 2 locos, between 1 and 4 coaches, and maybe 10-15 wagons, and I need to build 11 points in total. Pretty much what one bigger layout would need, and it wouldn't be really usable until all that lot was ready. I'm aiming to build whatever is quickest/easiest first, and when I've got enough for one of the layouts I'll concentrate on that one.

Small, Broad and Totally Pointless is currently second on the list, as it exists, and I have to walk past it quite a few times each day. So even if I've nothing to run on it, looking presentable would be useful!

I'm currently sorting out all my modelling materials, unbuilt/part built kits and other junk stuff, into separate boxes for each planned layout, and for each type of material. I'm also hoping to get rid of some of my locos and rolling stock that is the wrong period for what I'm planning. Then I need to get a proper modelling workbench set up, with all my tools properly organised. I just hope that procrastination doesn't set in before I get it all done :scratchhead:.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi John :good:

Sorry for the delayed reply.. I have been busy making changes to the house (missus ideas).. then a leaky shed (my modelling mecca) so all new lining boards and insulation, But all is good. Now time to catch up with my forum friends :locomotive:

I am glad to hear you have joined the boards together and looking to add few points, certainly add for further operational interest. Good luck with the naming of the layout, though no rush .. will come naturally in time, when least expected.

As for taking your time and enjoying your fruits of labour, that is the best way..

We all have our goals in which we wish to achieve and like you my list has been ongoing for some years .. but just recently I have sold off all my OO scale and have taken the full plunge into narrow gauge modelling, with new inspirations and new creations .. all my knowledge and semi skills are being put to better use on this new venture. Sometimes a change of scene can help with previous projects and sometimes just sometimes be the very best thing to do in which see's new perspectives and welcomes changes.

As long as you are modelling .. the mind is ever sharp and take joy in the small things in life .. then them daisies will just have to wait.

Wish you the Very best of luck and hope all is going well?.

Kind Regards

Dan   

Edited by Dannyboy2891
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm a Johnny come lately to this site, rmweb is a total labyrinth with great goodies tucked away. it's nice to know you've got baseboards which have a history and character all their own, due to alterations,change of use,new ideas and so on. A line I'm working on at present has similar boards with a tale of their own. One iron I have in the fire is a b.g. Layout, also terminus to fiddle yard in small space, so I must follow your work carefully, although I'm working in 7mm rather than 4mm. I'm also planning a traverser run-round tucked away! (Great minds and all that) One trouble with minimum space broad gauge lines is that the points are such a hell of a length, so I'm all for ways to lose them. I've done some track, I read somewhere that vignoles, flat bottom, rail was also used on longitudinal sleepers besides bridge rail, so I'm using some ordinary rail, soldered onto copper clad sleeper sTrip from Marcway. the rail goes on the transoms, and then the lengthwise bits are cut to fit between the transoms. this way you can get the gauge set easier, and lay track panels as units on the board. beyond that things are in a state of flux. I've got a goods wagon fleet which I'm happy with. (One of the great things about being in the broad gauge society is the great kits and information that's available) There's four six-wheelers about half way through, and two engines with running chassis and superstructure to finish, so slowly getting there. Anyhow, best wishes for your progress, I'll watch with interest.

• Like 1

There won't be much, if any, progress for a while Northroader, as I'm working on other layouts, including 7mm, but in both narrow and very narrow gauges (standard and narrow gauge for non broad gaugers!!). I hope you're going to start a topic on your layout, with lots of pictures.

• RMweb Premium

like I said I'm new to this game, I ain't yet worked out the etiquette of "like, informative, " and all that, or you could have all you want, matey. Then there' s putting pictures into posts, and stuff like that, so starting a blog is a long way off yet. probably just as well, it would start " hey, guys, I've got this great idea for a line"' and five years later "guess what, I' ve started putting some track down....." , Duurr, yawn , snore, zzzz. Thanks for the encouragement, though.

• 5 months later...

Oh dear. The backscene has fallen off! What terrible fate awaits SB&TP in the baseboard hospital?

post-7091-0-25917700-1451668097.jpg

post-7091-0-30167000-1451668108.jpg

Pictured in this state, it shows how little I've actually done in all the years since I started it :O.

• Like 2

Surgeons at the baseboard hospital have amputated the ends of the baseboard frames where the boards join, and part of the front of one board. What further suffering will be inflicted on this poor layout? Will it survive?

post-7091-0-07548300-1451760356.jpg

post-7091-0-52856600-1451760371.jpg

post-7091-0-47769400-1451760382.jpg

• Like 1

The patient survived the night, and had reconstructive surgery this morning. The front edge was glued and screwed back along the cut edge, a piece of wood fixed under the top to join the two halves together, and a big chunky piece of ply fixed along the back. The tracks line up far better than I thought they might. They may need a bit of work to improve the joins, or I may cut out a small piece and redo it, but it shouldn't need much done.

post-7091-0-70994700-1451830054.jpg

post-7091-0-47382100-1451830040.jpg

post-7091-0-38414700-1451830029.jpg

I'll be getting on with the next stage of the cunning plan this afternoon. Can you guess what it is?

• Like 2