GWRPhil

• RMweb Premium

Looking good Phil... :no:  :paint:

thanks.

here's a couple of pics of the support pillars fully painted. the roof steel in the previous pictures is going to be airbrushed in the gloss cream on the centre of the pillars. for those who may be interested the dark brown is GWR coach brown Gloss and the Cream is GWR coach cream gloss both from precision paints

post-17016-0-45195500-1399357398_thumb.jpg

post-17016-0-74065100-1399357407_thumb.jpg

post-17016-0-45740900-1399357417_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

have just been out in the garage putting the grey undercoat on the station canopy roof. well one side at least anyway. once it has dried i'll take a photo of progress and post it. other than that i have made a few m ore bits of progress on the wiring of the layout. i have come up with a perfect way of linking the four sections of the wiring together.

to explain i have the wiring droppers soldered to junction boards in four places under the layout from these i have run them to a central locqation using (slight over kill) 16A flexible mains cable of the type used in extension leads etc and these will all be joined together near the controller using a ring main junction box i have lying around spare this will then feed a cable into the output of my controller.

it may be overkill but itll be a robust system which should be fairly resistant to problems. at least thats what im hoping

• Like 2

phil is currently under his model railway at the moment sorting out the wiring of a junction box he mumbled something along the lines of he'll post pics later :)

• RMweb Premium

Ok so wiring didn't go so well. Plus have modified layout again. I know I said I wouldn't but. Yard has gone. Will now be much smaller yard where station car park was.

Here's first photo. Will do more as things progress. Will be doing complete rewire now. Last system had flaws. And that's all I'll say (gritting teeth)

post-17016-0-69628900-1399823823_thumb.jpg

Yard will be where bag of grout is.

• Like 1

ok when i posted earlier i didnt realise the changes in pics that phil was gonna post were gonna be so drastic lol oh well hes much happier now then he was earlier :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Isn't wiring fun!

Why the drastic changes bud?

Wiring can be fun. Shorting with dozens of wires to check maybe not so much.

With regards to the changes :- the wiring brought out a lot if frustrations I was having with the layout and I had a moment of do I really want this layout anymore followed by a trip to sainsburys for some shopping which gave me chance to breath and decide that the layout was working for me in general but needed modification. Hence losing the original yard and the decision to improve the track plan and the layout.

post-17016-0-56982300-1399931638_thumb.jpg

Edited by hawkingetippyd
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The track will not end up as pictured but I used the points as set track curves and straights to work out hoe the layout could work. Hopefully someone at Ely show will have the set track in peco that I need so I can start on the layout work.

• Like 1

Wiring can be fun. Shorting with dozens if wires to check maybe not so much.

With the changes the wiring brought out a lot if frustrations I was having with the layout and I had a moment of do I really want this layout anymore followed by a trip to sainsburys for some shopping which gave me chance to breath and decide that the layout wasn't working but needed modification. Hence losing the original yard and the decision to improve tha track plan and simplify the layout.

I keep telling him shoppings good for him lol ;)

If it involves a trip to Hattons (other shops are available but for me Hattons is the best) then most definitely shopping is good for me

Revise that to hobby raft then ur talking lol

• RMweb Premium

One shelf section maybe. Now if the whole of a big hobby craft was a model railway shop that would be a really cool place to visit.

Now to get back to porthcressa matters.....,

• RMweb Premium

It's got narrower. the layout itself is at it's final overall size. The old yard was more hassle than it was worth. Overall the layout will end up with more in that it'll have two stabling tracks, two yard tracks and a former 'cattle and loading' dual purpose loading platform.

My number of layouts will be increasing later in the year. I'm buying warren lane off Alan and mags and will be turning it into a new layout to go back out on the exhibition circuit. Later on in the year once warren lane has finished its commitments on the circuit and it's mine I'll be starting a new feed here on RMWeb to detail the ideas I have behind what I will be doing to change the layout into its new location and form.

All I'll say now is that my idea will be based on a real location but as it could, possibly should, have been rather than it is. I'm not a stickler for exact locational accuracy so it will be done with plenty of modellers license and will be a mirror image of reality. West will be east and East will be west in terms of one significant feature.

Edited by hawkingetippyd

• RMweb Premium

no progress so far this weekend as i have been at the ely show with the rest of the warren lane crew. we had a great day. lots of fun and some great weather too

• Like 1