RMweb

Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

sod all the plastic internet numpties as colas needs to put these 37`s painted up and rolling along, so cant wait to see how they look but whether they do any major engine or cab interior restyling design wise more modern electronics etc. plus if and when jim gets his hands on one his thoughts on the overhaul and they are pull now etc.

• Like 1

He sounds about ten years old, Jim. I wouldn't bother getting into a p@ssing contest with a ten year old spotter TBH, and if your management take any notice I'd be surprised.

More so, we appreciate your posts as it's a fascinating insight , and further more raises the profile of Colas.

I wish I still lived in the chilterns, it would have been nice to see the 70.... That bridge at PR must have been straining under the weight of the photographers....the last time I saw it that busy was for a load haul 60 on the self discharge train in 1998...

Hi Jim, just another voice in support.

I don't post on here, just pop in to read occasionally but your thread has kept bringing me back, it's very interesting and entertaining, so please keep it up and don't be put off by negative oiks like that kid. Let me know when you are working between Warrington and Wigan & I'll nip out & salute you at Winwick or Golborne.

All the best

Pete

a few from last week on the chiltern job....

hinksey yard, ready for the offDSCF6733.jpgDSCF6732.jpg

running round in banburyDSCF6734.jpg

and on to west ruislipDSCF6735.jpg

and away it goes towards southallDSCF6736.jpg

Hi Jim, just a simple question - in those pics from Hinksey yard, the 70 on the right of the pic is blocking the points and access to the road with the 08 on it. Are there any rules and regs regarding where a loco should be parked when it is stabling? I've seen many pics with loco's that look almost dumped at a random place along a siding, and now seeing this with a loco over the points has made me ask the obvious.

Mark

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If you notice the van coming down the dirt track alongside the 70, thats the driver for it and it moved its train about 20 mins after i departed with the centre one, similarly the left hand one moved sometime the next morning, its really down to the shunter where things are left but those locos are on dead end roads and sat on their trains, the norm would be put it somewhere in clear, there are normally yellow marks on the sleeper ends to help

Jim,

Just to chip in my two cents worth to the debate going on:

Down here in Australia, the railfan community is a totally different one to that over in the UK. The only way to know for certain if anything is happening is to know someone who knows what's going on. Up until a couple of years back, I had no clue what could turn up where and with what when I went out. Now knowing a few more things (such as having the freight timetable (stuff usually runs in very regular order), and info for Special Train Notices) as well as now knowing quite a few people around the shop, it is still enjoyable to go out for a days spotting without knowing what could show up and not.

I'm always amazed that people over there have the info about not only what time a train is due and what it is carrying, but the times it's running to and the locomotives that are hauling it. The only way out here to know if something is running to time is to either be on a Facebook group or have someone down the line let you know. I do have a friend who's on a couple of Facebook groups, but when we're out, we just wait and hope. I've waited well over an hour or more for trains to show up, with no idea if it's already been or is even running, and have still been shocked (in a good way) when I see something I had no knowledge about.

The main Australian rail forum is an amazing hindrence to anyone trying to get an honest bit of information. While there is some genuinely good information on there, a lot of it is just nonsensical rubbish, rants at a particular restoration of a locomotive (3801) and a railway preservationist with an amazing but struggling collection of items (Dorrigo), and general fighting over a keyboard. It is so wonderful to see Jim and others come onto places like this and not only post information, but also provide wonderful photographs and respond to questions so well. We should all be thankful that they do what they do, as someone such as Jim could just as easily not do this for us all.

Getting away from that Jim, it seems you have been having a good time driving these 70s around the place. Even if you look a bit glum in photos, we all know you've got a mile-wide grin behind it!

• Like 1

Out of interest , Jim, how is the camaraderie between companies ? You are going to places like bescot, which is DBS territory for the most part - does everyone get on or is their any hostility to you being on their patch , so to speak

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

the ground staff, drivers, shunters etc at the various yards are all spot on, mostly helpful, middle management however are a different story..............

EDIT: other companies middle management!!

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

the ground staff, drivers, shunters etc at the various yards are all spot on, mostly helpful, middle management however are a different story..............

Waste Of Money Brains And Time. I think is the the word you are looking for Jim. :jester: :jester: :jester:

Coat Car key Gone

Terry

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another probably dumb question you Jim - on the ground frame there is a black on white arrow mounted half way up the lever by the looks of the picture. Is this to indicate to an approaching train which way the points are set? If so how are the arrows operated?

Or if I'm completely wrong, what are those arrows for?

Thanks, Mark

the little white arrows are on the "american style" switches that EWS decided to fit to many yards, it basically tells you which way the points are set, there is a left hand facing arrow on a plate 90 degrees to that one and as the point is switched it twists on a cog to face the driver

those points can be run through (orange handles) but there were some in bescot with white handles that you cannot run through in the trailing direction as they have locks on them and you will damage them or even derail if you did so!

a few from this morning, was hoping to get a few pics last night but we didnt stop anywhere with decent lighting, did a train from bescot to crewe via wolverhampton, shrewsbury, whitchurch etc, entered a possession at crewe jn and then dropped ballast in various spots over the next 25 odd miles between shrewsbury and nantwich from autoballasters, something i've never done before and quite interesting to see done, basically there are a couple of operators who ride on the wagons and on command of the guy in my cab drop the ballast, i have to do 5mph while they do so

just a few pics while i was waiting to go over to basford hall to stable the train

DSCF6756.jpg

DSCF6758.jpg

DSCF6760.jpg

and a 37 on gresty bridge

DSCF6759.jpg

i tried to get a pic of my 70 alongside a freightliner one when i got into basford hall but where i stabled it wasn't possible, got to take the loco to bescot tomorrow afternoon and put it in the consist of 6V46 before working it to hinksey

• Like 7

Nice pics again Jim..............areas that are so familiar to me....from when I was a kid spotting in the early sixties.

We used to play footy on the Mornflake pitch while spotting at the same time.......then off up the steps in the middle of the bridge to pinch some shed plates from locos on the scrap line on Crewe South.

Good memories.

Bob.

• Like 1

Excellent photos Jim.

The 37/66/66 combo off to the left in the first shot looks interesting. Any idea where that was off to?

Judging by the MornFlake factory, Jim is parked right next to DRS Gresty Bridge depot. And the blue locos you can see are being stabled there between duties

Great photos Jim by the way!

• Like 1

And what about the managers from 'the competition'? :)

:offtopic:

I work for a small company that is owned by a larger group (in the food supplies industry), and the parent company managers will not do anything to help us out, without charging us for it. It is so bad that we don't even find out what is going on in the group unless we get told by the guys on the ground.

Edited by Catkins