• RMweb Gold

Keeping it simple...

North to carlisle

South to marylebone

East to doncaster

West to chirk/hereford

If i need to go Places like newport i have to have a route conductor with me

• Like 5

the picture was taken beyond the gates at the bletchley end, its caused a bit of a stir with the local enthusiast fraternity being parked there!

took 2 class 70s to claydon last night, all was going well until the change ends at princes risborough, had to declare myself a failure between little kimble and marsh lane crossing, thankfully i had a trainee with me who was able to jump in the rear loco and propel me clear of the mainline into aylesbury loop where we run round and went double headed up to claydon where after a lot of shunting we have left the train to collect it later tonight to return to hinksey (hopefully)

Ah. So you're the one that was causing me a load of work when I should have been eating my sandwiches.

It was shaping up to be an interesting night.  Princes Risborough was starting to look a bit like Aylesbury depot.

Just glad the one on the back was alright otherwise you could have been there for quite a while.

No more naughty engines this week please Jim.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Keeping it simple...

North to carlisle

South to marylebone

East to doncaster

West to chirk/hereford

The route conductor. Is that another driver who knows the route?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If you do the route once with a conductor does that mean you can then do it yourself next time or do you have to do it a certain number of times before your qualified for the route?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You have to do a route a certain number of times before you can sign it, the time may vary depending on the complexity of the route, ie multi track layout, signalling systems, spad risk etc

Then you have to be assessed by a qualified person as ok to drive the route as well as answering written questions etc

Technical question for you Jim : can a 66 and a 70 work in multi? I know the 66 has the AAR standard multi system , and presumably GE fitted the same to the 70s. Certainly in the US you can lash up a GE , GM and ALCO together as they're all the one common system rather than the many we have here.

• RMweb Premium

Technical question for you Jim : can a 66 and a 70 work in multi? I know the 66 has the AAR standard multi system , and presumably GE fitted the same to the 70s. Certainly in the US you can lash up a GE , GM and ALCO together as they're all the one common system rather than the many we have here.

Jim will no doubt confirm but im certain its the same AAR system. Association of American Railroads.

• RMweb Gold

Keeping it simple...

North to carlisle

South to marylebone

East to doncaster

West to chirk/hereford

The West Country is still waiting for you, Jim!  ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Always thought it amazing how drivers learn a route daylight must be demanding but learning at night even more so ,must get stressful at times don't how you do it?

post-408-0-64983000-1400019218.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Evening Jim,

Just out of Interest, have you ever been down the Middlewich line while working a train? It's only that with the Crewe to Chester line having engineering work done, I saw at 10.20pm, 56078 and 56113 heading down from Crewe on a Baglan Bay to Chirk Kronospan working. 18 odd wagons loaded with freshly cut trees smelling quite nice.

I don't personally know of any 56's working down this line in pairs. I'm hoping it runs again this week as I can get the camera out and capture this working again.

Mathew

You have to do a route a certain number of times before you can sign it, the time may vary depending on the complexity of the route, ie multi track layout, signalling systems, spad risk etc

Then you have to be assessed by a qualified person as ok to drive the route as well as answering written questions etc

It's interesting how different countries approach the route knowledge issue.

I visit Poland (Wolsztyn) 2-3 times per year for my driving and firing fix, and over there if a Driver hasn't signed the route then he can still proceed provided his train does not exceed 60 km/h, above that and a Pilotman is required. This is often the case on the 'main line' steam excursions of which there are many throughout the year, although there have been a few notable occasions where a Wolsztyn driver has 'fallen out' with the Pilotman, ordered him off his loco and then carried on regardless. Oddly, very experienced drivers mistaking 60 km/h for say 60 mph is a curiously common occurrence, not that any steam locos in Poland are actually fitted with speedometers of course - by popular demand (that's another story).

Do keep posting your updates to this thread Jim and ignore the detractors, I'm sure I'm not alone when I say it's very interesting to read about the life of a modern day driver.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

*Given the origin of Carrots, then can we also say ''Also Available In Colas Edition'' for those Carrots Mick?

Only if they're half yellow...........

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Evening Jim,

Just out of Interest, have you ever been down the Middlewich line while working a train? It's only that with the Crewe to Chester line having engineering work done, I saw at 10.20pm, 56078 and 56113 heading down from Crewe on a Baglan Bay to Chirk Kronospan working. 18 odd wagons loaded with freshly cut trees smelling quite nice.

I don't personally know of any 56's working down this line in pairs. I'm hoping it runs again this week as I can get the camera out and capture this working again.

Mathew

i was hoping to be on it this thursday night but they are sorted for a driver, would have been nice to have a local job for a change!

Evening Jim,

Mathew

Damn, so the first night I don't go and see it for weeks and it turns up a pair.........Thanks Mathew that's really cheered me up :laugh:

Sorry Jim :offtopic: carry on please ;)

• Like 2

Sorry Iron Horse,

I only heard about it because my window was open and I heard the throb of the engines, looked out of the window to see the 56 pair go by slowly.

Maybe it will be the same again on Thursday???

Mathew

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Not Jim but 70807 and 70804 are currently heading for St Erth on 6C65, 17:;24, Westbury - St Erth

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/B20152/2014/05/15/advanced

The first 70's into Cornwall!

I just got a vid of 807 howling up the bank from St Germans. Il upload to YT. Please don't expect any visual delights though gents as I took it with my phone. Sounds pretty good though which was the whole idea!

Rather than clutter up Jim's thread, its in the Cornwall thread.

Edited by Gary H
  • Like 7