RMweb

Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

There are several clips of the Railvac in operation on YouTube...

It is self propelled on site and has a suction boom operated from a cab within the machine, or by a remote contol box held by an operator walking alongside (seems to be the favoured method)

From what I can see the boom nozzle is used to remove contaminated ballast from the track which is then passed back to hoppers for later disposal...must be bloody noisy?

Quite an interesting bit of kit, I've only ever seen one parked up near Millbrook with a 56 attached a few months ago.

• RMweb Premium

There are several clips of the Railvac in operation on YouTube...

It is self propelled on site and has a suction boom operated from a cab within the machine, or by a remote contol box held by an operator walking alongside (seems to be the favoured method)

From what I can see the boom nozzle is used to remove contaminated ballast from the track which is then passed back to hoppers for later disposal...must be bloody noisy?

Quite an interesting bit of kit, I've only ever seen one parked up near Millbrook with a 56 attached a few months ago.

There's at least 3 of them in the UK, with a 4th either already here or due soon. I think Colas are providing traction for the northern two machines, whilst DCR are powering the southern two.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

There's at least 3 of them in the UK, with a 4th either already here or due soon. I think Colas are providing traction for the northern two machines, whilst DCR are powering the southern two.

Cheers,

Mick

GBRf has taken over the operation of the southern Railvac based at Totton from DCR, effective from 5th January 2015.

• RMweb Gold

Couple of pics from today, had to go over to stoke on the train to pick up a van then on tge way back met up with a road learner to show him round gresty lane

First up a couple of 387 units on test between bletchley and crewe

A69A2E7B-5B4E-44D6-8DFE-09582F0FCA91.jpg

They are branded up 'thameslink'

6EF81E1F-0781-49EC-8A45-C8F1794F5D92.jpg

Then when we were in gresty bridge 70003 departed the independents heading to south wales, picture taken from the signal box steps

67DBD0AE-F081-4E49-B447-2FA780587950.jpg

Back in tomorrow, hereford to chirk with the baglan logs

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Boy its a rough night, managed a couple of pics on the camera at banbury road but i'll have to upload them when i get home, amazed to see that there is now a staion building at water eaton parkway!

Just one from the phone, 66601 in hinksey, you can see how rough it was by the sideways rain!!

Note how the loco has new led style lights on it

D3F89DAD-6381-4D1B-AC6D-10CBF8900221.jpg

• Like 18

Boy its a rough night, managed a couple of pics on the camera at banbury road but i'll have to upload them when i get home, amazed to see that there is now a staion building at water eaton parkway!

Just one from the phone, 66601 in hinksey, you can see how rough it was by the sideways rain!!

Note how the loco has new led style lights on it

D3F89DAD-6381-4D1B-AC6D-10CBF8900221.jpg

I hope you didn't get too wet last night Jim, the weather certainly was pretty bad down here in the South with some considerable gales howling around this end of Hampshire last night!

One thing I've noticed with the Freightliner 66s which have received these newer light clusters are also that at last, FL Seem to be giving the Yellow areas of the cab front a much needed repaint as well. Although, these newer light clusters do appear to have given Freightliners examples a rather Bug Eyed look to them though.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/marks_rail_phots/15425593453

They look even weirder in red though!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152659547328863&set=gm.599284903533205&type=1

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Excellent thread Jim really enjoyed reading about your adventures.

Here is a picture of 60076 taken at Blackburn this morning with the return tanks.

Taken from Morrisons car park I presume?

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2

Thanks for those shots at St Ives Jim,

We had a holiday there two years ago. Amazing scenery on that line - and you only ever get a 150 or two down there......

Great to see proper traction. Shame FGW didn't have a couple of coaches to stick between the two....

• RMweb Premium

They are some really nice pics of St Ives. I really like the one taken from the beach.

I come from Devon originally and know St Ives well it's cool to see some interesting traction there.

I don't suppose 'your man in the southwest' has got anymore pics you can share with rmwebbers do you?

• RMweb Premium

There's also a good few pic's of 70803 and 805 at St Erth and Lalant on the St Ives branch over on the Cornwall Today thread-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/37636-cornwall-today-daily-duchy-updates/page-97

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/37636-cornwall-today-daily-duchy-updates/page-98

Some time ago you said about MOD traffic going through Aylesbury ,on Wednesday morning saw a royal liveried 67 with two vans in tow standing at the signal outside Aylesbury first time I have seen this traffic through here looked very clean.

The MOD Bicester-Didcot working is currently diverted via the Chiltern main line (I presume due to the current work for the Oxford-Bletchley upgrade).

Regards,

Ed

Edited by South-East Rail

where we hasd to change for a train to hereford. 66135 passing through on a steel to shotton

DSCF8993.jpg

As always, a fantastic insight into the variety of movements that go on on our railways, if you know where to look!

Just one question though, is it just lens distortion/optical illusion or is 66135 a bit bent?!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jim what's the best engine in the fleet and why is the colas 86 at Ilford?

70s are good, nice and powerful, cant beat a good 47 though!

no idea about the 86

The MOD Bicester-Didcot working is currently diverted via the Chiltern main line (I presume due to the current work for the Oxford-Bletchley upgrade).

thats correct, i think they would struggle to get over the 6 miles of missing track between banbury road and the MOD sidings if they tried to go the other way!

its starting to look good at the water eaton end now with double track laid from the site of the new station back towards bicester and lots of rails stockpiled ready to be laid, september is the proposed opening date

Just one question though, is it just lens distortion/optical illusion or is 66135 a bit bent?!!

there are quite a few 66s that look or indeed are bent!

• Like 1

As always, a fantastic insight into the variety of movements that go on on our railways, if you know where to look!

Its not a optical illusion. 66s are slightly bent when the fuel tank isn't full. When the fuel tank is filled to the top, the weight of the fuel pulls the frame/body straight. Conversely, if no bend was designed into the loco, when full of fuel, the loco will bend the opposite way and could sag onto the rail head. Edited by B Exam